How Many Straws To Break The Camel’s Back ?

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

24 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

Did I mention s8 there?

No, you're right, you didn't. Sorry. I took it as read because that seems to be the only one they use! Also, my interest in this stems fro the Ravenscroft case, and whether there was another legal strategy available to him to challenge his need to have a licence - without risking his boat. I think there was (although I accept he never meant to have a legal argument at all).

1 hour ago, Horace42 said:

And if you think they were wrong to withhold a license,  you take CRT to court to get a judgement against them,  to compel them to issue a license.

This one for example.

1 hour ago, Horace42 said:
2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

consider that section 17 of the 1995 Act makes no mention that an application must be made, other wise how would they know you are requesting a licence ?

It's implicit in the wording of s17 - CRT may refuse unless you can't refuse a thing that hasn't been requested. 

no idea what's happened to the formatting there..

3 hours ago, NigelMoore said:

Did you drop a word there? I think you meant that the law dopes do not require us to act wisely? Asplin LJ [as she now is] certainly did not require of CaRT that they do so.

Should have been that the law  does not require . . .

One comment made on this thread is the worrying item relating to the CRT and the way they appear to take all viewpoints to the detriment of the boaters. Whether this true is a matter for discussion. The number of different groups that now have an influence on CRT policy must, however, be a matter of concern as every important decision can be clouded by diversity of opinion. It is not the case of a strong voice or vision, winning through, but a mixture of views diluted by a savage political correctness. In the old days of the Board it was the case of making a decision, whether for the best or not. Now the agenda is lost and priorities forgotten often to suit ideas and concepts that have little relevance to the good of the working waterway. That is not to say that heritage or wildlife should not be forgotten, each has its place, but the myriad of other topics that have come to the fore since the formation of CRT amounts not to straws, but large boulders that promise to crush the camel deep into the sand.

14 minutes ago, Heartland said:

One comment made on this thread is the worrying item relating to the CRT and the way they appear to take all viewpoints to the detriment of the boaters. Whether this true is a matter for discussion. The number of different groups that now have an influence on CRT policy must, however, be a matter of concern as every important decision can be clouded by diversity of opinion. It is not the case of a strong voice or vision, winning through, but a mixture of views diluted by a savage political correctness. In the old days of the Board it was the case of making a decision, whether for the best or not. Now the agenda is lost and priorities forgotten often to suit ideas and concepts that have little relevance to the good of the working waterway. That is not to say that heritage or wildlife should not be forgotten, each has its place, but the myriad of other topics that have come to the fore since the formation of CRT amounts not to straws, but large boulders that promise to crush the camel deep into the sand.

Unfortunately most of CRT's money comes from Government ie tax payers, and most tax payers are not boaters.  But CRT must remember that without a working canal system the whole lot will collapse into a long boggy park.  Not what any one wants.

• Greenie 1