Good grip boating shoes or boots.

Philip

Featured Posts

Does anyone know of any good boating shoes or boots with the emphasis on good grip for slippery and icy ground? I'm not too bothered about comfort, I just want a safe pair for locks/stepping on and off the boat etc. My walking boots are comfy but they can be lethal around locksides at the best of times!

The best I have found so far are Panama Jacks, but someone was suggesting industrial boats as they actually have anti slip ratings from http://www.hse.gov.uk/slips/footprocure.htm

The codes indicate that the footwear has met the specified requirements when tested as follows:

• SRA – tested on ceramic tile wetted with dilute soap solution;
  • SRB – tested on smooth steel with glycerol;
  • SRC – tested under both the above conditions.
  • Greenie 1

I think the advice to go for boots with an official slip rating is excellent.  I had some expensive walking boots with a hi-tech sole and they were grippy on some surfaces, but lousy on wet rocks and stone.  But you could also add ice-grips to normal boots.  These have spikes.  I'm not sure that any boot will grip in all conditions.  If a lock gate has slimy mould on it the rubber never gets to touch the wood.

Thanks for help, I'm having a look at the two styles of 'Portwest' boots (both with SRC rating) on the 7th row down on the link - https://www.safetecdirect.co.uk/safety-footwear/other-footwear-categories/src-slip-safety-footwear.

One is £10 more than the other, I'm guessing that is for comfort rather than one pair being safer than the other, given they both have the SRC rating?

2 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

The best I have found so far are Panama Jacks, but someone was suggesting industrial boats as they actually have anti slip ratings from http://www.hse.gov.uk/slips/footprocure.htm

The codes indicate that the footwear has met the specified requirements when tested as follows:

• SRA – tested on ceramic tile wetted with dilute soap solution;
  • SRB – tested on smooth steel with glycerol;
  • SRC – tested under both the above conditions.

I use a pair of SRA rated work boots but nearly ended up in the cut behind the reversing boat when I slipped stepping off the end of a lock gate.  This was on to a wet lockside.  I am more careful with my footing now.

3 hours ago, Philip said:

Does anyone know of any good boating shoes or boots with the emphasis on good grip for slippery and icy ground? I'm not too bothered about comfort, I just want a safe pair for locks/stepping on and off the boat etc. My walking boots are comfy but they can be lethal around locksides at the best of times!

You need a pair of Royal Navy " Steaming Bats " Boots...............purpose built for the job of wet icy steel decks and good on most slippery surfaces. I still have an old pair somewhere at my old mums that no longer fit me. Ocasionaly come up on Fleabay but must be available elsewhere?

25 minutes ago, jake_crew said:

Not so sure that they will be any good they look more like bulls dropping ones to catch out Joe Public. Just been on Fleabay and found one pair size 8  for sale with the soles I meant. I can state from FIRST HAND experience that they are good even on steel decks wet or with ice on at minus 40 degrees in the arctic circle so probably be ok on uk narrowboat. Steel toecaps and very hard wearing. If I were still a size eight I would be buying that pair at that price they are for nowt. Flea bay number 152803479910

Edited by mrsmelly
numpty

The trouble with many of these shoes is that they don't detail what the slippery surface is that they are proof against.

And "safety" tends to mean a reinforced toe-cap and maybe heel guard - nothing to do with the sole type.

My industrial s/shoes (Dickies) are fine on oily floors in machine shops, but once oily, are lethal on wet surfaces.

Thanks to Ditchcrawler I now know what to ask for .....  though I'll not hold my breath.

I bought a pair of http://www.amazon.com/Original-S-W-A-T-Mens-Classic-Side/dp/B007RLD0DO following a similar discussion on this forum last year. Seem to do the trick but as others have said, some surfaces NOTHING will get a grip on!

The side zip is handy when trying to get the boots off before the dog spreads his muddy paws over all the internal furnishings after a relaxing (for him) walk

5a20365ebecef_MuddyDog.jpg.aabad5da12d00aacd50fc862eff8e21f.jpg

3 hours ago, jake_crew said:

3 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Not so sure that they will be any good they look more like bulls dropping ones to catch out Joe Public. 

The ones Jake has linked to above are the RN replacements for the ones you remember Tim. Lots more comfortable from the off, whereas the ones with the rings for tread had flat insoles with no support were a bugger to break in.  If you thought they were comfortable, you're either 'misremembering' or you have funny feet; I have funny feet from wearing the damned things! :(

13 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

The ones Jake has linked to above are the RN replacements for the ones you remember Tim. Lots more comfortable from the off, whereas the ones with the rings for tread had flat insoles with no support were a bugger to break in.  If you thought they were comfortable, you're either 'misremembering' or you have funny feet; I have funny feet from wearing the damned things! :(

Ahh so they now get whimpy soft footwear for whimpy recruits then? They were a bit hard until broken in iirc but bloody well stout made jobbies and did the job on wet decks. If I could get a good pair now I would. My x missus hubby got em for me until about fifteen years ago when he left the mob and became an ossifer on the Qe2 bloomin shame. I suppose you will tell me the mess has carpets on the floor next?

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

Ahh so they now get whimpy soft footwear for whimpy recruits then? They were a bit hard until broken in iirc but bloody well stout made jobbies and did the job on wet decks. If I could get a good pair now I would. My x missus hubby got em for me until about fifteen years ago when he left the mob and became an ossifer on the Qe2 bloomin shame. I suppose you will tell me the mess has carpets on the floor next?

HM Ship's decks are grey and grippy now - shiny green painted decks went out about 30 odd years ago. The regular steaming bat went on for many more years after that and few still serving lamented it's passing. I've still got a pair of the current pattern, the Lord alone knows why, but if I come across a pair of the previous version in the loft I'll reserve them for you if 8s are any use to you. :captain:

33 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

HM Ship's decks are grey and grippy now - shiny green painted decks went out about 30 odd years ago. The regular steaming bat went on for many more years after that and few still serving lamented it's passing. I've still got a pair of the current pattern, the Lord alone knows why, but if I come across a pair of the previous version in the loft I'll reserve them for you if 8s are any use to you. :captain:

I wore 8s when a lad in the mob but now I need a ten or if lucky a nine. I would buy the new pair of 8s on fleabay if they fitted, but thanks you old sea salt. :)

My first winter of commercial boating I was advised by a well known northern boatman to get myself measured & a pair of boot clogs made with the soles/heels nailed with #6 nails thesr were a conical head nail & the winter grip on ice snow lock sides/ beams was second to non after some 2 years they were losing there grip & I took them back to the maker toask if anything could be done I was told to have a wander around for30 mins & on return all the nails had been replaced cost 1 shilling 6 pence =7.5 P

On 30/11/2017 at 14:05, mrsmelly said:

Not so sure that they will be any good they look more like bulls dropping ones to catch out Joe Public. Just been on Fleabay and found one pair size 8  for sale with the soles I meant. I can state from FIRST HAND experience that they are good even on steel decks wet or with ice on at minus 40 degrees in the arctic circle so probably be ok on uk narrowboat. Steel toecaps and very hard wearing. If I were still a size eight I would be buying that pair at that price they are for nowt. Flea bay number 152803479910

Arh! DMS Boots (steaming bats) or (Dirty Manky Shefs Boots). Mine lasted for years, only threw mine away a few years ago. Used for everything. Issued probably 1989. As Tim has said they would be the best. Find some buy them.

Today I found something interesting: a newish surface from Vibram that grips well on ice:

https://us.vibram.com/technology/arctic-grip/
https://www.digitaltrends.com/outdoor-gear-reviews/vibram-arctic-grip-soles-review/
https://gearjunkie.com/vibram-arctic-grip-sole-for-ice

I haven't used these myself, but I'm interested now.

They're not cheap though: the first web article I saw was this - the boots are USD 180:
https://www.mnn.com/earth-matters/climate-weather/photos/best-outdoor-gear-surviving-worst-winter/muck-boots-arctic-ice

BTW: There's ice where I live every winter, so I get a fair bit of practice walking on it. There is definitely a big difference in grip on ice between between different synthetic soles. Nothing is perfect of course, but the difference between good and bad soles on ice, wet stones, etc is huge. OFC (as I think someone mentioned already) ice cleats (best for ice) and hobnails (good on more surfaces, including ice) and cleats are probably best, but they are rough on the surface you walk on.