Icy dawn

rgreg

Featured Posts

Same on the Macc but clearing at the edges now in bright sun, the weather station clocked -5.6 last night on the roof

1 minute ago, mrsmelly said:

Fab weather innitt :D Stoves glowing sat ere with my T shirt on. Quite breezy ere in Staffordshire at present but fab weather.

Bet your glad your not a continuous cruiser any more and not out on the cut like us hobby boaters.:)

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Same on the Macc but clearing at the edges now in bright sun, the weather station clocked -5.6 last night on the roof

Bet your glad your not a continuous cruiser any more and not out on the cut like us hobby boaters.:)

What are you doing out on the roof?

I just stayed inside.

One of the amazing quirks of nature is the relationship between water's temperature and its density.  From 100 deg C down to 4 deg C the density rises, but fro 4 deg C to 0  deg C it drops again.  As the canal starts to freeze the coldest water rises.  This is why canals freeze over at the surface and warmer water sinks.  This allows aquatic life to survive!

4 minutes ago, mross said:

One of the amazing quirks of nature is the relationship between water's temperature and its density.  From 100 deg C down to 4 deg C the density rises, but fro 4 deg C to 0  deg C it drops again.  As the canal starts to freeze the coldest water rises.  This is why canals freeze over at the surface and warmer water sinks.  This allows aquatic life to survive!

and as we all evolved from aquatic life its also the reason why we are here.

This, together with stuff like electricity and the wonderful chemistry of carbon does almost suggest that there is a god, but if there is why did he go and let religion happen? 

but more importantly, just started doing the engine/boat service. First job is greasing the propshaft UJs and the plummer block, its so cold I could barely force the grease in.

............Dave

Last night was my first on the boat in a month. We moored somewhere east of Napton junction and woke this morning to find the boat surrounded by ice, a first for us apart from when we've been on the boat in the marina during winter.

It had mostly gone by about 11 so we set off towards Braunston in glorious weather, albeit somewhat chilly.

A very pleasant surprise awaited us between bridges 108 and 107.

CRT had been along here sometime during November and cut back the offside vegetation in the stretch just before the bridge 107 winding hole. This stretch has annoyed me greatly on each of the numerous occasions we've been along here over the last 28 months.

Credit where credit is due though. They have done such a good job I quite literally didn't recognise it until we were halfway along and then I noticed the winding hole ahead of me and realised where I was. Only then did I notice the proliferation of very newly sawn branch ends cut right back to the trunks.

Further along I noticed that the moored fatboat undergoing a fitout, and now moored immediately east of bridge 102, has been joined by another, also in the process of being fitted out. Perhaps someone has started a ftout business unencumbered by the expense of premises.

21 minutes ago, Lily Rose said:

Last night was my first on the boat in a month. We moored somewhere east of Napton junction and woke this morning to find the boat surrounded by ice, a first for us apart from when we've been on the boat in the marina during winter.

It had mostly gone by about 11 so we set off towards Braunston in glorious weather, albeit somewhat chilly.

A very pleasant surprise awaited us between bridges 108 and 107.

CRT had been along here sometime during November and cut back the offside vegetation in the stretch just before the bridge 107 winding hole. This stretch has annoyed me greatly on each of the numerous occasions we've been along here over the last 28 months.

Credit where credit is due though. They have done such a good job I quite literally didn't recognise it until we were halfway along and then I noticed the winding hole ahead of me and realised where I was. Only then did I notice the proliferation of very newly sawn branch ends cut right back to the trunks.

Further along I noticed that the moored fatboat undergoing a fitout, and now moored immediately east of bridge 102, has been joined by another, also in the process of being fitted out. Perhaps someone has started a ftout business unencumbered by the expense of premises.

Hi Sean, we must have passed you this pm as we were heading out of Braunston back to Napton. Yes that foliage looks a lot better now, just a shame they didnt cut down the tree on the bend just before the previous bridge.

The 2 fat boats by bridge 102 are new since last week - they were not there last week - but the two that were moored nearby (that were facing the other way) last week and the few weeks before have gone. Four boats moored (all in the process of being fitted out) near bridge 102 seems a bit of a coincidence.

4 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

Hi Sean, we must have passed you this pm as we were heading out of Braunston back to Napton. Yes that foliage looks a lot better now, just a shame they didnt cut down the tree on the bend just before the previous bridge.

The 2 fat boats by bridge 102 are new since last week - they were not there last week - but the two that were moored nearby (that were facing the other way) last week and the few weeks before have gone. Four boats moored (all in the process of being fitted out) near bridge 102 seems a bit of a coincidence.

Hi Andy,

We didn't bother going into Braunston as we're only out for two nights and wanted to spend both out out in the sticks so we turned at Wolfhamcote and are now back near bridge 108.

We have to be back in the marina tomorrow afternoon but will probably go back after a trip down to the winding hole before the Folly to make the most of what is forecast to be another lovely day.

I didn't realise there had been 4 fatboats. The one with the wheel is the one I saw about 7 weeks ago and then about 3 weeks later when we returned. Either that or its  sister ship. Four boats being fitted out near the same bridge sounds even more like a business!

2 minutes ago, Lily Rose said:

Hi Andy,

We didn't bother going into Braunston as we're only out for two nights and wanted to spend both out out in the sticks so we turned at Wolfhamcote and are now back near bridge 108.

We have to be back in the marina tomorrow afternoon but will probably go back after a trip down to the winding hole before the Folly to make the most of what is forecast to be another lovely day.

I didn't realise there had been 4 fatboats. The one with the wheel is the one I saw about 7 weeks ago and then about 3 weeks later when we returned. Either that or its  sister ship. Four boats being fitted out near the same bridge sounds even more like a business!

Ah, we didn't pass you then. We are parked ( yes parked.....) west of bridge 102 so must have come out of Braunston after you went past. The grey fat boat today has different windows to the one there last week. The 'primer' coloured one may be the same as last weeeks but is now facing north east whereas last weeks one was pointing southwest and I think the one RayT photo'd after being lifted in at Braunston a few weeks back. 

A good day cruising today, if a bit cold, as I have never done any ice breaking before. Also caught Ryan on the fuel boat so stocked up on a few different types of coal...as per another thread. 

9 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

Ah, we didn't pass you then. We are parked ( yes parked.....) west of bridge 102 so must have come out of Braunston after you went past. The grey fat boat today has different windows to the one there last week. The 'primer' coloured one may be the same as last weeeks but is now facing north east whereas last weeks one was pointing southwest and I think the one RayT photo'd after being lifted in at Braunston a few weeks back. 

A good day cruising today, if a bit cold, as I have never done any ice breaking before. Also caught Ryan on the fuel boat so stocked up on a few different types of coal...as per another thread. 

You might pass us this morning then as we are unlikely to move until between 10.30 and 11.

I was lucky to catch Ryan as well as I had started my last bag of Supertherm and thought I'd better but another in the marina before going home on Sunday. I've now got 3 unopened bags thanks to Ryan. My theory that I never see a coal boat when I need one is looking a bit dodgy after the last couple of times of seeing Ryan just when I was hoping to.