Safety from economic migrants in France

babylek

Featured Posts

29 minutes ago, RLWP said:

I'm still wondering what your perceived problems might be ?

Richard

4 minutes ago, Athy said:

Surely that is why Baby' is asking, because he seeks information - which, so far, I hope has reassured him.

So has anybody on the French canals had problems being dive bombed by Stukas?

31 minutes ago, RLWP said:

Richard

Perhaps the OP meant "migrant economists" not "economic migrants" - an easy error to make.

Most of us have had problems with Friedman, Marx, Hayek etc though it probably wouldn't be fair to call Adam Smith a migrant as he only migrated from Scotland.

I think babylek should clear this up in case we are all giving inappropriate advice.

6 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

Probably yes, though not in recent years. The man who would become my father was dive-bombed by Stukas in French waters (admittedly on the bay of St. Nazaire, not on a canal) in 1940.

I know you're only joking, but canal and river boating is (are?) not always smooth sailing all the way, and it's laudable to be well prepared before setting out on them - as, looking at previous threads, the O.P. has done quite thoroughly, enquiring about types of boat, licensing and other topics.

4 minutes ago, Athy said:

Probably yes, though not in recent years. The man who would become my father was dive-bombed by Stukas in French waters (admittedly on the bay of St. Nazaire, not on a canal) in 1940.

I know you're only joking, but canal and river boating is (are?) not always smooth sailing all the way, and it's laudable to be well prepared before setting out on them - as, looking at previous threads, the O.P. has done quite thoroughly, enquiring about types of boat, licensing and other topics.

Not just Stukas. You might have trouble from American planes too.

This Continental canal boating looks much too dangerous to me.

Jen

2 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Jen

The Yanks did have a reputation as poor navigators - they even 'missed' (overflew) Vietnam and bombed Cambodia by mistake.

16 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Jen

Jen, your caution does you credit, but don't worry: France is one of the few countries on which Mr. Trump is not considering declaring war.

Just yet.

We cycled some of the Nante Brest Canal earler this year, and encountered very few people of any nationality, in fact the most numerous seemed to be from the UK. Perhaps they are the disruptive economnic migrants that the OP is referring to!

• Greenie 2

11 hours ago, babylek said:

Has anyone on the French canals had any problems with the economic migrants that have flooded Europe?

We are overrun with the English who are, to generalise, rude and arrogant. I do not find this much of a problem, so the answer to your question is no.

Tant pis, they will all be gone soon and we can go back to our peaceful existence. As seen in the books of Goscinny and Uderzo.

4 minutes ago, Pierre Thomas said:

We are overrun with the English who are, to generalise, rude and arrogant. I do not find this much of a problem, so the answer to your question is no.

Tant pis, they will all be gone soon and we can go back to our peaceful existence. As seen in the books of Goscinny and Uderzo.

Ah yes, the excellent books describing the problems caused by Roman migrants.

33 minutes ago, Pierre Thomas said:

Luckily we are not all rude and arrogant though some definitely are. However it should be said that we do help keep French businesses open in this part of La France Profonde.

The nearest thing to a magic potion that we have here are the wonderful eaux de vie.

• Greenie 1

4 hours ago, JamesFrance said:

Yes the motorcaravanners never expect trouble when using the excellent village aires, but I know a few who have been robbed whilst spending the night at the Catalan village on the autoroute near the border with Spain.

When first started with a Camping Car the auto routes wer e just getting going we had to use RN & D road s & continue to do so & then the tales of robberies & other problems on the pay roads so no Thanks

1 hour ago, Stilllearning said:

Luckily we are not all rude and arrogant though some definitely are. However it should be said that we do help keep French businesses open in this part of La France Profonde.

The nearest thing to a magic potion that we have here are the wonderful eaux de vie.

A rather sweeping statement by M Thomas P as an Ex Pat the most obnoxious folk in general Iv'e come in contact with were/are nationals & residents of or near Paris  as he lists his boat being at Nerac  he is in dept 47 which I'm lead to believe is some what reliant on EX Pats  to help it function more effectively I have lived in France for north of 25 years & always paid my way in all respects even after retirement so Iv'e contributed to France the same as I did in the UK  & not had to ask for hand outs (fortunately) I didn't ask to come here I was transferred from Air Bus UK to the main facility at Blagnac & on reaching Retirement & as I liked it & had no ties to the UK house wise I stayed & get on great with my neighbors & locals It's a shame if he feels the Ex Pats are impacting on his life but I fear he will have much the same where ever he is to some degree & to the stayers & leavers re Brexit Don't blame me I didn't qualify to vote but then again why should I I haven't lived there for a long time Here endeth the Whine semi sort of Rant

4 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

Not lately but we do get the French AF practicing runs in the valley along side our house ('the house is at higher altitude than the aircraft)semms to be for an hour or so 2times a weelk perhaps they limit the amount of AVTAG/AVTUR they issue "em"with?The "Mirarges " seem to apply re heat as the pull up out of the valley the noise +echo is a bit ear shattering you can tell when they are nearing the end of their training the plane handling is much better

35 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

my ancestry is neanderthal and we are still aggrieved by the ethnic cleansing committed by homo sapiens several dozen millenia BC.    ............  barstewards, the lot of you ............................  

Pah my family still remember the day you lot climbed out of the trees, spliters......

• Greenie 1

15 hours ago, Athy said:

What does this mean?

If you look at Baby's previous threads you'll find that he intends to cruise the French canals in a Dutch barge and has been carefully investigating diverse aspects of them in advance. Finding out if there are "no-go" areas on the French network is a prudent move - just as other posters on here have asked if it's safe to go along the Ashton Canal or through the centre of Brum.

My recent personal experience extends only to the Canal de Garonne, Canal de Montech and River Baise, and we encountered no anti-social people of any kind there. Others on here have far wider experience of the French network and will, I'm sure, be able to offer more information.

Ha Ha, No it's not Jayda. For Athy Jayda is head of Britain First a political group 

14 hours ago, X Alan W said:

Did the Du Midi from the Sete end to the jcn with the Garrone & had no problems of any kind seemed to be less footfall on & around the towpath than a couple of years back, the problems I guess are more likely confined to the cities & gatherings of more people If it's terrorist activates you are referring to Rural France is not a good place as the chaos caused would be very limited due to the limited #of people/ buildings

Thanks, X Alan, at last, a helpful answer without any leftie PC rhetoric. 

14 hours ago, Athy said:

Had I been asking it, I would most probably have phrased it differently, but we all have our different ways of expressing ourselves, and indeed our different worries.

I thought this forum was for people with boating related questions, not a Political Correctness debate about how questions are asked. If people don't like the way I ask my questions, then please just DON'T ANSWER. I have better things to do than wade through your petty insecure inuendoes. NO REPLIES NEEDED!!

11 hours ago, RLWP said:

Richard

Why bother answering then?

10 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

Is this forum so full of idiots that they can't just answer the f..ing questions without bringing in dive bombing stukas?