Large Windlass

Peter-Bullfinch

Featured Posts

Can anyone shed a little more light on this windlass I've been given? It has the lettering JHSGA  and the number 1813. The size seems a normal one inch and one and a quarter inch. The handle is ten and a half inches and it's over fifteen inches long with a cranked bend. On the Rufford Branch some locks have windlasses this size mounted horizontally but attached permanently in situ.

To use it on most locks these days I imagine your knuckles wouldnt last too long.

20171129_203202.jpg

20171129_203056.jpg

In the early 70's as the paddles got less maintaince & got harder to work someone bought in the double head & grafted in the longer shaft to ease working they were IIRC were sold at Autherly Jct & I think SUC at Norbury also sold them

2 hours ago, AMModels said:

Id say the JHSGA is a manufacturer mark, I sold a double header recently that had it cast into the head as well. 

I came across one in the back of my Dads shed it has JHS9  2  on one side & 16-87-1 on the other often wondered about  the marks 

102_1448.JPG

102_1442.JPG

23 hours ago, Ray T said:

Jeanette is it your initials dyslexicly? (if that is a word)

One made by the Teddesley Boat Co. http://www.narrowboats.co.uk/

DSCF1865.jpg

DSCF1864.jpg

DSCF1863.jpg

So it is Ray that I never noticed .

Grandad & Dad had their names scratched deep into their windlass because they  could not read or write if they needed to make their mark &

so as not to be looked down on they would copy from the windlass something they almost always carried on them

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, jeannette smith harrison said:

So it is Ray that I never noticed .

Grandad & Dad had their names scratched deep into their windlass because they  could not read or write if they needed to make their mark &

so as not to be looked down on they would copy from the windlass something they almost always carried on them

Brilliant! That's the difference between educated and intelligent

Richard

• Greenie 1