Derelict Work Boat on the Brecon and Abergavenny Canal

Theo

Featured Posts

Is this boat just a boring bit of rusting hulkitude or is there some interesting history attached.  It's hauled up on the offside near to Talybon-on-Usk to the east of Bridge 147 (I think that was the number.)

2017-11-29 15.52.20.jpg

2017-11-29 15.52.46.jpg

2017-11-29 15.53.01.jpg

2017-11-29 15.53.31.jpg

2017-11-29 15.54.07.jpg

4 hours ago, pete harrison said:

British Waterways Board asset number 82455 relates to what is described as 'No. B14 - Cob Boat - steel' and dates to 1986 :captain:

It's newer than Theodora!

It seems to me that there is not a lot going for her (not Theodora, I mean the cob boat) and she might just as well be scrapped and made into something useful.

Nick

Oi!  calling the Abergavenny to Brecon section of the Mon & Brec 'derelict' is ignorant and offensive and just demonstrates that it's high time you got around a bit more and experienced the delight of this unique canal which is well used (quite busy throughout the holiday season).

Cob boat, Jolly boat, a small boat for useful/necessary trips on the water including external hull maintenannce, more often used with larger craft and stowed aboard for longer Sea passages, or in this case a small work boat for maintenance purposes. Why the name Cob? Best I can find is Crew OverBoard  recovery. Chief Of Boat is a bit Naval. Jolly boat? Taking a trip ashore for a 'Jolly' (good drinking session).

I always look for a good response!! Maybe landlocked would have been better. It's a fantastic waterway beautiful in great country. We are actually looking at relocating into Monmouthshire though not with the boat. I have cycled the whole length several times as I do with canals I cannot access on our boat . Sadly that number is increasing. As a teaser here is a picture of our local canal.

to know that one you are going to have to be a serious canal enthusiast

IMG_0661.JPG.bc9b13b41c1dd4d39fc87121979d6fd4.JPG

Hate Wikipedia 

victorian swing bridge ( for the road) built on the canal from sale to lake king so canalised river. Very heavy structure spanning canal. It's been our local canal For the last few years before we bought the boat and started doing eternal summer, he said standing in a flooded campsite with 300 mls rain forecast in next few hours

23 hours ago, 36national said:

at least its watertight

Only when it's tipped in the direction photographed.  There is a large hole on the port side where the steel has rusted away.

the Mon & Brec has several restored features related to coal mining - tramway bridges and the like.  The canal runs level along a contour line on the north east slope of some serious steep hills/mountains for several miles near Abergavenny, and beyond, without any locks - a fantastic piece of engineering.  There are 2 serious flights of locks under restoration on 2 branches of the canal north of Newport - probably never intended for use, but a wonderful visitor attraction, all in the most beautiful wooded countryside.  It must have been a wonderful sight in the old days with coal barges coming down into Newport.

In spite of becoming world weary of the canals in 2005 after 25 years of living afloat and trying emigration , and  a large house on a small holding as a lifestyle they have slowly dragged us back. So  from 2 rural acres and five bedrooms back to back cabin and 8 foot extension.

Its easy to get jaded by the things that peeve you on a day to day basis on the cut, but if you look at it big picture history nature  engineering environment and interaction with others add to that the chance to play with and live on big boys toys it's unique. Must remember that next time I'm in the bilge scraping rust, or I've just had the stern line snapped by a speeding fatboat

3 hours ago, carlt said:

Greenie for finally bringing my search to an end (and I hadn't even finished examining the SSYN bridges)

I took a different approach  - find out where the person lives then search for canals in that area/country.

As its Australia it was quite a short search there are not many canals there apparently.

Its a beautiful bridge !

3 minutes ago, magnetman said:

I took a different approach  - find out where the person lives then search for canals in that area/country.

As its Australia it was quite a short search there are not many canals there apparently.

Its a beautiful bridge !

You must be a policeman!! :detective: