Trevor D Bolt artist.

Ray T

Featured Posts

I am going to take a punt at these paintings - and the dates are guestimates:

top = PLANET and BAKEWELL (with BARROW and CHEAM just visible) at Kayes Arm, Stockton in about 1987.

middle = EDGWARE ? and BAKEWELL at Braunston in about 1980.

bottom = BEAULIEU near Lapworth mid 1970's.

I must admit I do quite like these paintings as they are not the 'normal' period images of loaded boats and they represent important parts of these boats history :captain:

edit = add '?' after EDGWARE (could be one of a few but EDGWARE is my gut feeling)

Edited by pete harrison
  • Greenie 1

Nice to see someone concentrating on Grand Union boats rather than the inevitable Joshers!

Not sure, as I can't read one of them, but he seems to have a bit of a thing about Bakewell.

EDIT.

Glad to see my guess endorsed by Pete.  Second one I certainly assumed to be UCCCo at Braunston.

I also am taken with these.

Edited by alan_fincher

1 hour ago, alan_fincher said:

Nice to see someone concentrating on Grand Union boats rather than the inevitable Joshers!

Back in 1989 we commissioned a bit of a 'generic' Grand Union boat painting by Alan Firth, the first blue and yellow boats he had painted and empties were unusual as well. This hung in our dining room for the next 20 years and I never tired of seeing it, but since moving to the north it has spent almost 10 years in a spare bedroom leaning against a chest of drawers. I don't know why but it has lost its appeal for some reason - perhaps because I am more fussy about accuracy than I used to be :captain:

edit = there were no prints made of this painting and I often think of letting it go, but I have no idea whether it is appealing to anybody else or its potential value (or how to value it !).

Alan Firth painting - 1989.jpg

Edited by pete harrison

I love those Trevor Boult paintings. They have a David Shepherd style to them - painted as is, like rusting engines on shed.

The Colin Firth is almost too good. It's a terrible life being an artist. You strive for perfection and seldom are happy with your work. Then when you think you have achieved something good, along comes some critic that says it's too good! There's an 'atmosphere' about Boultons' work that seems missing in the others.

I have a Cuneo in the spare room, 'Night King' depicting King George V thrashing along in the dark, and yet to hang it.

Edited by Derek R.

Another excellent artist featuered on CWDF. I like the canal pictures, but the landscape pictures are full of realistic atmosphere, I could live with some of those on my wall.

Edited by David Schweizer