Wolverhampton Locks

jddevel

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, john6767 said:

If you don’t have an anti-vandal key then make certain you get more than one, they are easily dropped into a lock!

You can also get them online. What I have done with all of ours is drill a hole in the top end (the end with the cross bar) so that they can be attached to a key ring - may need some wire to link between the two as it can be quite hard to force a stnadard key ring onto the handcuff key given its size - and a cork float (although I have never tested the floatability in anger!) This means having both a handcuff key and a Watermate key together - make life easier. In my view a minimum of three sets on a boat is to be preferred.

What we do is tie a longish loop of cord to the T handle. The loop then goes through a trouser belt loop (looped back over the key so as to tie it on) and then kept in one’s pocket. The loop is long enough to get the key out of the pocket and release the vandal lock, but not so long as to be a pest. We haven’t lost one yet (FLW!)

2 hours ago, Cheshire cat said:

You need a handcuff key for all the paddles. That slows things down substantially

I beg to differ.

They are BCN style locks, not those 'orrible things on the Rochdale 9, for instance.

Just a quick turn with the key unlocks them and it's just a push of the locking bar to relock.

2 hours ago, Boatingbiker said:

When we travel the Wolverhampton flight we aim to moor on the Bentley Canal arm, it's only 30 mins from Horseley Fields Junc near the top lock and in our opinion better mooring than at HFJ, which we found noisy (mainly Police cars leaving their Station throughout the night. There is also  a Sainsbury's and other retail outlets if needed and  

Yeahbut, it's not so close to the Great Western, one of the top ten pubs in the UK, IMHO.

1 hour ago, john6767 said:

If you don’t have an anti-vandal key then make certain you get more than one, they are easily dropped into a lock!

We might be wondering how you came by this knowledge John.

:lol:

17 minutes ago, haza said:

a  month ago myself and mister done the 21 in about 3 hours 40 ...mind you it was one of those rare times when every thing went the way we wanted it to go ...and as most boaters now that is a rare day indeed lol .i would say about 45 mins after lock one ...nice mooring at bentley bridge 

Yea, I reckon its closer to 4 hours than 3. 

Last time i did it i left wolverhampton at 8 am and arrived at Brewood for 2pm. There were a couple of dry pounds to fill, it was winter, first week of December and no one using the flight. 

the top of the flight is ok by the BW yard. Safe and sound if you have had enough boating. Water and showers there. Find the great western pub or ramble into town. 

9 minutes ago, Victor Vectis said:

I beg to differ.

They are BCN style locks, not those 'orrible things on the Rochdale 9, for instance.

Just a quick turn with the key unlocks them and it's just a push of the locking bar to relock.

Yeahbut, it's not so close to the Great Western, one of the top ten pubs in the UK, IMHO.

We might be wondering how you came by this knowledge John.

:lol:

Agree, the anti vandal locks on the BCN are a piece of piss. Click and pop 'em open, then tap em shut. I'm on the Rochdale and they're a right pain. Even out in the sticks they have them, and they're  random you can't predict which paddle needs a key. 

I like the 21, yes if you're the first through that day then low pounds are common, and you may well need to run some water down, but they're not particularly deep and the paddle gear & gates not particularly heavy, though lock 20 has a single bottom gate unlike the rest of the flight. I went through twice in september, both times met no traffic on the flight, both times around 2 1/2 hrs two handed (with pushbike). 

springy

45 minutes ago, springy said:

I like the 21, yes if you're the first through that day then low pounds are common, and you may well need to run some water down, but they're not particularly deep and the paddle gear & gates not particularly heavy, though lock 20 has a single bottom gate unlike the rest of the flight. I went through twice in september, both times met no traffic on the flight, both times around 2 1/2 hrs two handed (with pushbike). 

springy

Ok I'll dig out me diary and see how long it has took me. Thought it were longer. 

16 hours ago, nicknorman said:

Yes Tipton is the obvious place to stop, or adjacent at the BCLM. We have done Autherley to Central Brum in a day but it’s a fairly long one and if you are slow through locks (single handed, not really that accustomed to it) I don’t think it’s feasible and especially not at this time of year in daylight.

I dont like that mooring due to the traffic, so that is why I go to The Fountain pub.

14 hours ago, Goliath said:

Ok I'll dig out me diary and see how long it has took me. Thought it were longer. 

last time we did it with all locks against us, me and the wife we took 2hrs 50 min and we don't have a bike but she does work ahead while I lock down.

I also worked out I walked a mile and a quarter just doing the actual lock from when the boat had entered the lock until the bottom gates were closed, no walking between.

Edited by ditchcrawler
Second line

Last but one time I did these it was with a friend in a moderately deep tug and I think it took over 6 hours. The long pounds towards the bottom were empty and several others very low so it was difficult to get enough water down. The resident lock keeper was on holiday and although boaters were going up and opening the top lock paddles as soon as they moved to do the next lock a horrified hire boater was closing the paddles again. Arrived in Wolverhampton just in time to go directly to the Great Western.

..............Dave

18 hours ago, jddevel said:

Thanks for that. Have got one of those although as I mentioned have yet to use it. Will get another-sound advice.

I don't know how many "crew" you have but you really need a handcuff key for each person lock wheeling plus one for whoever is steering, otherwise you spend your whole time passing it back and forwards. 

6 minutes ago, NickF said:

I don't know how many "crew" you have but you really need a handcuff key for each person lock wheeling plus one for whoever is steering, otherwise you spend your whole time passing it back and forwards. 

We always leave all locks off both ends until we are ready to leave the lock.

17 hours ago, nicknorman said:

What we do is tie a longish loop of cord to the T handle. The loop then goes through a trouser belt loop (looped back over the key so as to tie it on) and then kept in one’s pocket. The loop is long enough to get the key out of the pocket and release the vandal lock, but not so long as to be a pest. We haven’t lost one yet (FLW!)

Only works with BCN style locks of course where typically no more than 1/4 turn is required to release.

Try it on the Northern locks like those on the Ashton, where IIRC it's at least a dozen full turns to unscrew.

Try that with the key tied to your trousers and you'll soon have your knickers in a twist!

1 hour ago, dmr said:

Last but one time I did these it was with a friend in a moderately deep tug and I think it took over 6 hours. The long pounds towards the bottom were empty and several others very low so it was difficult to get enough water down. The resident lock keeper was on holiday and although boaters were going up and opening the top lock paddles as soon as they moved to do the next lock a horrified hire boater was closing the paddles again. Arrived in Wolverhampton just in time to go directly to the Great Western.

..............Dave

We've followed each other down a couple of times, last time being June this year. How long has it took us? I've looked through my diaries but never noted how long it took. Only that its been a consistent 6 hrs from the top to Brewood. 

3 minutes ago, Goliath said:

We've followed each other down a couple of times, last time being June this year. How long has it took us? I've looked through my diaries but never noted how long it took. Only that its been a consistent 6 hrs from the top to Brewood. 

You know us Glen, not the sort of people who right down the times of lock flights or try to break records, just enjoy boating. However I might be able to find out if Gillie has taken enough photos as we can look at the time stamps. She's over on the Wirral today but will be back on Friday. Last time we went down (not with you) we stopped for lunch in a lock, and stopped in another lock for the dog to have a little run. Stopping in locks is one of the pleasures of out of season boating but does make the flights take a bit longer.

..............Dave

24 minutes ago, dmr said:

You know us Glen, not the sort of people who right down the times of lock flights or try to break records, just enjoy boating. However I might be able to find out if Gillie has taken enough photos as we can look at the time stamps. She's over on the Wirral today but will be back on Friday. Last time we went down (not with you) we stopped for lunch in a lock, and stopped in another lock for the dog to have a little run. Stopping in locks is one of the pleasures of out of season boating but does make the flights take a bit longer.

..............Dave

I knew as I had taken a photo at the top and one of the sign post at the bottom.

51 minutes ago, dmr said:

..............Dave

No worries, not important. I think we did stop for breakfast going down.

I generally just record the hours of a journey as a whole. Would be good to know should we ever start there for the challenge. (I've times for most of the BCN) 

But it sounds like 2 1/2 to 3 hrs is the going rate for the 21 (on a good run).

1 hour ago, alan_fincher said:

Only works with BCN style locks of course where typically no more than 1/4 turn is required to release.

Try it on the Northern locks like those on the Ashton, where IIRC it's at least a dozen full turns to unscrew.

Try that with the key tied to your trousers and you'll soon have your knickers in a twist!

True, but then we are talking about the Wolverhampton 21!

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

We always leave all locks off both ends until we are ready to leave the lock.

I must admit i was thinking of Northern Handcuff locks, it's a while since I have done The Wolverhampton 21!

I can also confirm that I have carried out a scientific test to see if a handcuff key floats, ..... I discovered that it doesn't so hopefully that will save any one else trying the same test!

Edited by NickF
  • Greenie 1

30 minutes ago, Goliath said:

No worries, not important. I think we did stop for breakfast going down.

I generally just record the hours of a journey as a whole. Would be good to know should we ever start there for the challenge. (I've times for most of the BCN) 

But it sounds like 2 1/2 to 3 hrs is the going rate for the 21 (on a good run).

Not a good place to start the BCN challenge, we'd get stuck at the Great Western.

Also would need to get up really really early in case any pounds needed sorting out.

On our last visit they had a nice strong IPA guest beer in addition to the usual Golden Glow etc etc

Going for a pint or two in the "Salty Dog" in a few minutes, which pub are you in????

...........Dave

5 minutes ago, dmr said:

Not a good place to start the BCN challenge, we'd get stuck at the Great Western.

Also would need to get up really really early in case any pounds needed sorting out.

On our last visit they had a nice strong IPA guest beer in addition to the usual Golden Glow etc etc

Going for a pint or two in the "Salty Dog" in a few minutes, which pub are you in????

...........Dave

Being good:)

night off, learning tunes on the guitar, 

got a boozey weekend coming up. 

(Bottle of wine on go for now, which dont count)

21 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Right so where are you starting and where are you going and when would you like to stop?

Leaving Teddesley Boat yard who built the hull as a sailaway where the engine and gearbox is having it`s first service ( Now owned by Bourne Boats) at Penkridge and ending at Lady Lane Wharf Earlswood our home mooring. We are aiming for between 4 an 6 hours a day as we are still getting use to the boat.

5 hours ago, dmr said:

The resident lock keeper was on holiday and although boaters were going up and opening the top lock paddles as soon as they moved to do the next lock

Can you expand the process please- is thi to keep the water flowing and levels up?

8 minutes ago, jddevel said:

Can you expand the process please- is thi to keep the water flowing and levels up?

If the pounds down the flight are very low then you need to let water down through the locks above. By starting at the top lock you can get water down in to all the pounds below but if it is only a low pound near the bottom of the flight you may get away by only going up a few locks. Basically open all the paddles and let water flow through the locks, closing the paddles once you have enough water to get through.

Generally on Wolverhampton CRT arrive early and check the levels, sorting them out if required.