Marineflex or Sikaflex?

MtB

Featured Posts

I need to bond some ordinary ceramic wall tiles to the plywood wall paneling in the shower. What does the team recommend I use for adhesive? Sikaflex, Marineflex, or something else?

There seems to be quite a few types of Sikaflex all having much the same characteristics according to their Ebay listings. Is one type of Sikaflex any better than any other? 

And what colour is Marineflex please? Their website doesn't say AFAICS. 

Edited by Mike the Boilerman
Speeling

4 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

And presumably they all fell off...

17 years, still hanging on, you cheeky Boilerman you. 

ETA. To be fair  I think we nicked the idea from Graham Booth. 

Edited by rusty69

5 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

17 years, still hanging on, you cheeky Boilerman you. 

:giggles:

I was thinking it must have been yonks ago. Didn't cork tiles go out of fashion with the ark?

I'll investimagate your excellent suggestion even so, thanks!

13 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

:giggles:

I was thinking it must have been yonks ago. Didn't cork tiles go out of fashion with the ark?

I'll investimagate your excellent suggestion even so, thanks!

Thinks you can sill get tubs of it at b&q & Wickes 

P65 narrowboat builders book, if you have it on your shelf 

Edited by rusty69

10 minutes ago, Tonka said:

Marineflex is a lot cheaper then Sikaflex. The Marineflex we used was grey but it comes in other colours

Hmmm thanks. Marineflex is £12.50 a tube according to their website here: http://www.marinemastics.com/marine-flex/marine-flex-one-tube.html

And Sikaflex is typically a tenner on ebay. 

Where are you buying your Marineflex? 

5 minutes ago, Tom and Bex said:

We used cheapo silicone from toolstation. Still secure when we sold the boat after 7 years. Had to remove a couple round the sink to change the unit - only way to get them off was to break them into tiny pieces. Very very secure!

Tom 

I've used silicone with great success in the past too, but it gets infected with mould eventually. Perhaps I don't care if it is out of view!

1 minute ago, David Mack said:

I thought Stixall was the recommended low cost alternative to marineflex and sikaflex. Available from Toolstation in black, white and clear. Not tried it for tiles though.

Thanks. I've never heard of that until now! I'll investigate.

2 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Not really. And even if I did, reclaiming the VAT on a purchase for personal use would be fraud. Wouldn't it?

I'm sure you would be allowed to use the left overs if you did need to use sticky stuff in your day job as it would be thrown away otherwise. I was not suggesting you would act fraudulently.

I was abit sceptical about using this.   

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-X-HIGH-STRENGHT-POLYURETHANE-ADHESIVE-SEALANT-PU18-MARINE-KOI-FISH-POND/181107513489?epid=0&hash=item2a2ad95891:m:mnGiLKnilejDGbNsP7N0-rA

However, I reckon it's as strong as Sikaflex/Marineflex and at a fraction of the price.  I wasn't too fussed if it solidified in the tube and couldn't be used again.

I was recommended, and used, floor tile cement.  As it is used to fix ceramic tiles onto wooden floors it has a bit of flexibility.   Also used floor tile grout.  My shower has been up for nearly ten years now with no cracks (and I've had a few mighty bumps).   On the tiling though, I did use normal mould-resistant silicone on the corners, as this is where grout is most likely to crack.

Pic of tiles with masking tape ready for siliconing:

036masking for tile grouting.jpg