Alde yellow pilot light

Monkeyman

Featured Posts

Hi my alde boiler has got a yellow pilot light had a reconditioned burner about 8 months was alright first couple of months rang the chap who fitted it he says as long as main flame is blue yellow pilot light not dangerous what are your thoughts thanks

Two things 

Burning yellow is , apparently more likely to make the flame go out as the flame isn't as hot and the flamesafe detector may turn it off - or it may not

Burning yellow is certainly a sign of inefficient combustion that could result in CO emissions. However if your Alde is the sealed flue type this isn't so much of a risk to you. You'd be wise to have CO alarms in any event.

How much of a problem you have is not something I can answer: I'm not expert enough and in any event can't see the flame!

PS you has posted exactly the same thing twice so I've hidden one of them 

15 hours ago, Monkeyman said:

Hi my alde boiler has got a yellow pilot light had a reconditioned burner about 8 months was alright first couple of months rang the chap who fitted it he says as long as main flame is blue yellow pilot light not dangerous what are your thoughts thanks

Which Alde boiler, exactly, please?

Let's start at the beginning eh?!

2 minutes ago, BWM said:

I used to get a yellow flame on our paloma pilot light, the cause was a sooty build up of carbon around the base of the pilot flame.

You have cause and effect reversed here. The sooty build up is a result of incomplete combustion, usually caused by fluff or dust in the air entrainment hole on the pilot burner. 

The old Alde Comfort gas boilers are good for the bilges. Being mounted upon a big hole in the floor from which they draw their combustion air and keep the the bilge ventilated, same as how mines were once ventilated with a big bonfire stratigally placed.

2 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

You have cause and effect reversed here. The sooty build up is a result of incomplete combustion, usually caused by fluff or dust in the air entrainment hole on the pilot burner. 

Sounds likely, but when the carbon was removed the flame returned to normal- but it may be that I dislodged whatever had caused it at the same time..

6 minutes ago, BWM said:

Sounds likely, but when the carbon was removed the flame returned to normal- but it may be that I dislodged whatever had caused it at the same time..

ISTR the Paloma actually has a needle attached to a button on the side, for the user to press periodically to clear the dust from the pilot assembly.

On 26/11/2017 at 15:56, Monkeyman said:

I think a yellow flame anywhere is a BSS failure.

14 hours ago, David Mack said:

I think a yellow flame anywhere is a BSS failure.

Section  8:8:1

A satisfactory flame picture must be present at each LPG appliance burner when all burners in the system are operating at their maximum setting at the same time.

Applicability – any appliances with ‘hidden’ burners must be ignited as part of this check but there is no requirement to see the burner flame picture.

Applicability – in the event of a poor flame picture, take the actions described in Appendix A or A and B, and if the regulator is operating outside of the lock-up tolerance, or is more than 10 years old, or is marked in imperial units, the BSS Warning Notice must include a note about the performance or age of the regulator as appropriate. Examiner action - Before operating the burners on any flued appliances, carry out the checks at 8.10.1/2/3. The flame picture assessment should not be carried out if a fault at 8.10.1/2/3 is recorded.

Applicability – in the event any appliance burner cannot be lit mark your checklist ‘not verified’ and note the reason why.  In such cases the burner must be considered as non-compliant until such time as its good condition has been verified.

APPENDIX A   – PEOPLE OR PROPERTY IN ‘IMMEDIATE DANGER’ OR ‘AT RISK’
THE BSS WARNING NOTICE A BSS Warning Notice will be issued in all cases where an examiner has cause to suspect that people or property may be or are in ‘immediate danger’ or ‘at risk’ due to faults in installations or appliances on a vessel being examined.
The purpose of the BSS Warning Notice is to alert the owner or person responsible for the craft’s condition, that an immediately hazardous defect has been found and secondly to alert anyone stepping aboard that they could be at risk and should take precautions.

APPENDIX B – ‘IMMEDIATELY HAZARDOUS BOATS’
ADDITIONAL EXAMINER ACTIONS Where the defects placing people or property in ‘immediate danger’ or ‘at risk’ relate to: • leaking gas; • leaking petrol; • gas refrigerators with naked flames on petrol-powered boats; • heat damaged cables or other electrical fire risks; • a.c. electrocution risks; • significant quantities of fuel or other substances escaping into the watercourse. …the following actions in addition to those in Appendix A are taken • the owner (or representative) is informed about the hazards as soon as possible;  • the owner is asked for the hazard to made safe or neutralised immediately, such as by turning off the fuel or disconnecting the electricity supply; • owners are advised that the systems, installations or appliances should not be used again until fixed.

DEFECTS REQUIRING GAS SUPPLY TO INSTALLATION OR APPLIANCE TO BE TURNED OFF The examiner is to take the additional actions detailed below if defects relate to leaking gas or leaking flue gases from appliances. The risks or dangers will be explained to the owner and why the gas supply to the installation or appliance should be immediately turned off. The owner will be told that the installation or appliance should not be used until a competent person rectifies the fault(s). The owner will be requested to turn off the gas supply at cylinder(s), main shut-off valve(s), or the appliance as appropriate and replace any protective caps or plugs to the cylinder connections. Where the gas supply has been turned off by means of the main shut-off valve or the appliance isolation valve, the valve will be secured in the closed position by means of adhesive warning tape. A LPG Warning Label will be tied in a prominent position on or near the main shut off valve or appliance as appropriate.  The position should be where anyone entering onto the boat will be sure to see it.

20 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

ISTR the Paloma actually has a needle attached to a button on the side, for the user to press periodically to clear the dust from the pilot assembly.

The Paloma button probes the pilot jet itself, removing any carbon in the jet.  It doesn't clear the dust and fluff off the pilot jet entrained air gauze filter.  That is most easily done with a vacuum cleaner with  a small nozzle or with an air duster when 'er indoors ain't looking.   The cover has to be removed to get at the gauze, but it is only held on with two thumbscrews and doies not disturb any of the gas or water works in removing it.

If the jet needs prodding then the filter usually needs cleaning as well or the jet just soots up again quickly.

Prod the jet when  a hot tap is on- you can see the results better that way and there is no need to re-light after each prod.

N

• Greenie 1