Essential tools and equipment

the blind novice

Featured Posts

Im about to embark on my first ever boating adventure this coming spring. I will be solo and im not sure of the equipment I will need. I will be putting in on the KA and intend to spend the summer cruising . So any and all help and info will be gratefully appreciated. Plus tips for where to stop. 

On 25/11/2017 at 10:13, the blind novice said:

Im about to embark on my first ever boating adventure this coming spring. I will be solo and im not sure of the equipment I will need. I will be putting in on the KA and intend to spend the summer cruising . So any and all help and info will be gratefully appreciated. Plus tips for where to stop. 

Similar to having a 1970’s car, it depends upon the level of job you intend to tackle.  As you need to ask the question I assume your diy skills are at a basic level, in which case I would start with screw drivers, spanner’s, hammer, wire cutters and a crimp tool.  Though the tool I use the most is an Irwin folding knife.

added - if the crimp tool is not a ratchet type costing more than about £15 then it probably will not make reliable joints.  I would also have a battery drill and a D.C. clamp meter.

Edited by Chewbacka

With regards to the rachet type crimp tool, one may be tempted to test it out on a finger.

DONT!

(And yes, you may wonder how I come to offer this advice)

ETA Disposable nappies are useful for mopping up water where you don't want it.

Edited by Victor Vectis

1 hour ago, Goliath said:

Good mooring pins. 

Pins would, in my opinion, be far too small for mooring a boat anywhere, let alone on the K&A. 

My suggestion would be some really large mooring stakes, such as sold by Jason at Bradford on Avon. He makes them 700mm long from 25mm round steel bar. They look just like an ordinary mooring stake but longer, twice the weight and twice as sturdy. 

Many thanks for all the tips on tools and equipment. Im ahead of the game with the mooring pins. I got the really big ones same spec as Jason. My diy skills are very basic so all help greatly appreciated. Will need my outboard serviced in the spring if anyone got a number for the man in shed

3 minutes ago, bizzard said:

Boxes of tin tacks to sprinkle the decks with at night to repel bare footed savage boarders whilst passing through the Magellan straits,         or Manchester.:)

You knicked that idea off Slocum (not the one with the pussy either)

58 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Pins would, in my opinion, be far too small for mooring a boat anywhere, let alone on the K&A. 

My suggestion would be some really large mooring stakes, such as sold by Jason at Bradford on Avon. He makes them 700mm long from 25mm round steel bar. They look just like an ordinary mooring stake but longer, twice the weight and twice as sturdy. 

+ a big hammer to go with them. 

My mum knew one of the Titanics survivors.  ''Eva Hart'' she was 7 years old when the ship went down, she was a 2nd class passenger. In old age she lived in Japan road, Chadwell Heath, Essex.  The Wetherspoons pub in Chadwell Heath, a converted old police station is named after her, ''The Eve Hart''.

• Greenie 1

12 hours ago, LadyG said:

It was OK when it left us.

Sadly, the designer made a basic error, and the captain made a bad decision.

“Titanic can’t sink!”

”She’s made of iron madam. I assure you she can.”

My favourite lines from the film.