Stove glass cleaning.

Dr Bob

Featured Posts

5 hours ago, Larentia said:

Kitchen roll dipped in stove ash works for me. 

It works for me too, but baby wipes beat it in a solid fuel burner and are easier on the glass as solid fuel ash can be gritty.  Baby wipes are not so effective in my woodburner at home though, but the wood ash is less gritty and hence kinder to the glass so I us your method there.

Also, don't use ash on a baby's bottom.

• Happy 1

5 hours ago, Larentia said:

It does for me also but only when not hot. I was looking for the solution when the stove was being run 24/7 as the glass is too hot for the damp kitchen roll. Baby wipes however are now working great and we now have clean glass and we can watch the fire rather than the telly.

I find wood burns hotter and the glass doesn't blacken. On coal shut down overnight it blackens quickly and I like to see the glow and flames. As said before when fire is low in the morning whilst de-ashing leave the door open to cool and use a small dribble of hob Brite on newspaper. Cleans even the toughest black without scratching the glass. The stuff that you use on ceramic hobs.

1 hour ago, dor said:

So what is it in baby wipes that is so successful for cleaning burned on carbon and stainless steel?   It can't be anything aggressive in view of their original purpose.

I don't know but I suspect that it's an oil that the tarry, sooty stuff likes to bond with. I also suspect that if you use the same wipe on the baby afterwards the tarry, sooty stuff will bond with that even more readily! :D

(Don't try this at home)

1 hour ago, WhiteSuit said:

I find wood burns hotter and the glass doesn't blacken. On coal shut down overnight it blackens quickly and I like to see the glow and flames. As said before when fire is low in the morning whilst de-ashing leave the door open to cool and use a small dribble of hob Brite on newspaper. Cleans even the toughest black without scratching the glass. The stuff that you use on ceramic hobs.

I'll continue to use baby wipes on the solid fuel boat stove  - Dr Bob can attest to their effectiveness - but I think I might try your method on the wood burner at home.  I have a ceramic induction hob, so the Hob Brite will be handy there too - thanks for the tip! :)

I find the air wash is pretty effective on both my stoves when they are burning hot-ish and therefore 'in the zone' on my stove thermometers. It's only really when keeping the solid fuel stove 'in' overnight or when the wood burner is running cooler or dying down that the glass gets mucky.

For me Hob Brite works well on the ceramic topped cooker at home but I've never felt the need to try it on the boat stove. For that I find baby wipes do work well but for more stubborn brown marks the scourer side of a sponge/scourer pad seems to take a bit less effort.

On 25/11/2017 at 10:07, Sea Dog said:

Baby wipes.

No, honestly - give it a go! (Cool glass only, so first thing in the morning after a night's tick over)

Read this with some skepticism in an earlier thread.

Tried it works perfectly,

Remarkable how easily they clean the sooty deposits. I use Tesco cheap baby wipes which work well

Just let the glass cool down a bit first

• Greenie 1

On 28/11/2017 at 11:13, WhiteSuit said:

I was going to suggest newspaper too. On the rare occasion I clean the glass, I use the scrunched up newspaper that I'm using to lay the fire. Never felt need to put anything on the paper though. 

Just an update, the baby wipes are working fine but (as I said in another thread) changing the fuel from Supertherm to Homefire Ovals has made a huge difference in how clean the glass is. The airwash is really working well with the Homefire where it just didnt work at all with the Supertherm. The extra heat must be helping. We now have lovely clean glass to watch the burning coals.

10 minutes ago, mross said:

Does your manager like watching the flames, or is it just a man thing?

SWMBO really misses the word burner we had in Scotland for 20 years so is really loving this fire.... but a nice red glow when all about is freezing and iced up is heaven.:)

• 1 month later...

Another update.

We were discussing baby wipes as a solution to cleaning the glass of the stove first thing in the morning whilst hot ...but not very hot. Well we ran out so bought a pack of 'Little Ones' from Sainsburys (Sainsburys branded baby wipes). Well they are rubbish! Absolutely useless .......for cleaning stove glass. SWMBO also reckons they are very soappy (best description). Switched to using 'Simple' face wipes and what a difference. Clean in seconds. Obviously there are baby wipes and baby wipes.......and then there are face wipes.

SWMBO tells me face wipes are far more expensive than baby wipes (ie 5 to 10 times more expensive). She also tells me they do more then baby wipes do - ie take off waterproof make up - hence there is defo something in them more agressive than you can put on a babies bum! I know I had nicked some of her face wipes when Sea Dog put me onto this, so maybe the glass cleaning works only with face wipes. Me being a muppet never knew there was any difference ......and could never understand why I got shouted at by SWMBO as here pack of face wipes got used up.

On 11/28/2017 at 04:45, Larentia said:

Similar for me except I use Damp news paper dipped in the ash on our 2 house stoves piece of dry kitchen roll to polish & you can use the cleaner to light the fire when dry

Alan & James,

the  thread was about how to clean the glass when running the stove 24/7 and the glass is hot. When cold, yes its easy to use just damp paper and ash, but when hot this doesnt work for me. Hence the thread asking for other suggestions.

7 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Alan & James,

the  thread was about how to clean the glass when running the stove 24/7 and the glass is hot. When cold, yes its easy to use just damp paper and ash, but when hot this doesnt work for me. Hence the thread asking for other suggestions.

I run my stove 24/7. It works hot or cold for me except need to be quick to dry to prevent streaks. Or leave door open for 5 mins then clean. I normally do it when the fire has been slumbering overnight, before refuelling.

James:cheers:

On 12/3/2017 at 14:48, RichM said:

Windowlene glass cleaner or the supermarket own brand equivalent does the trick. 

12 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Alan & James,

Ah that I too overlooked... In that case, I retract my suggestion quoted above. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I use a steel paint scraper in right hand and mini battery vacuum in the left to catch the scrapings.  Works fine.  I,ve used babywipes and the scraper but dont flush down the macerator. Other than that i find toilet paper is best !