Stove glass cleaning.

Dr Bob

Featured Posts

5 hours ago, Irob said:

I use a steel paint scraper in right hand and mini battery vacuum in the left to catch the scrapings.  Works fine.  I,ve used babywipes and the scraper but dont flush down the macerator. Other than that i find toilet paper is best !  

When sat on the loo, I find there is no room for a paint scraper and our battery vacuum is rather large (Mrs Bob would also want to know what I was up to),so I just use toilet paper.

4 hours ago, Keeping Up said:

I always worry that using a wet or even damp cloth on a hot stove glass might cause it to crack.  Is my worry justified?

A big temperature differential could be a reason to make the glass crack - but in practice I find that a facewipe wrapped on the end of a piece of wood kindling works great and will not crack the glass as it is a very small area of contact - and the liquid on it soon evaporates so not cooling the glass significantly. Repeat about 10 times to clean the glass.

4 hours ago, Keeping Up said:

I always worry that using a wet or even damp cloth on a hot stove glass might cause it to crack.  Is my worry justified?

I would say yes. I let it cool down first to a reasonable level. If it is too hot then the baby wipe becomes too hot to hold and also the wipe smears due to drying out too quickly

19 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

When sat on the loo, I find there is no room for a paint scraper and our battery vacuum is rather large (Mrs Bob would also want to know what I was up to),so I just use toilet paper.

I get your drift !  As long as your window of opportunity sparkles . Ha!

On 13/01/2018 at 10:33, Keeping Up said:

I've been concerned about the same thing. Used to not clean the glass for weeks on end till the stove was let go out. This winter I clean it most days and have not had it crack yet. I wait till the stove is relatively cool. First thing in the morning when it has been banked up over night and before the first shovel full of the day goes on is a good time. I use hot water from the tap on an old pan scourer to reduce the temperature differential a bit too. Can't remember how many winters the current glass has done, but it is quiet a few. I have a spare glass and seal ready to go in when required.

Jen