LED Headlight too bright

Richard10002

Featured Posts

On 11/25/2017 at 11:24, monkeyhanger said:

Don't tilt it down, because the reflection off the water is also dazzling. Tilt it upwards to illuminate the tunnel "roof".

Up and to the right is the best way, you can't see the water for at least 20-30 ft in front of the boat anyway, as the cabin is in the way. Someone coming the other way if blinded can only aim just to the right of the glare coming towards him as he cannot see anything else. if you are lucky all will be well, if he is to far left you will collide, if he is to far right he will bounce off the wall and collide, if he can see he will miss you.

On 26/11/2017 at 19:54, Halsey said:

IMHO cruising after dark should very much be the exception not the rule and only done with the appropriate additional red and green navigation lights - please don't overlook that I applauded your actions earlier - your LED light is for improved "torch" style use to better ensure your personal safety.

Apologies!!! Just realised that I completely misunderstood what you meant... I thought you meant any headlight should be used only for personal safety, whereas you actually meant that my ultra bright LED should be so used.

Once it's off the boat, it's going in the bin. Even use for personal safety probably isn't appropriate. It may light up the way ahead, but even seeing it out of the corner of an eye is blinding, so it wont be anywhere near anything I'll be involved in.

Got my fog lights now :)

On 25/11/2017 at 11:18, WotEver said:

Arrived this week and, other than a stinking cold and bad chest limiting my desire to do anything, one will be fitted very soon.

Can you help with the connecting? The bulb has a wire with a spade on it, so that is fine - presumably it's positive. But there is no negative wire. Presumably I connect a wire to the loop on the fitting that the bulb sits in??

Secondly, how do your wires exit the lamp body? There is a reasonable sized hole on the back which seems like the route, but there is also a cap for this hole, with no way for wires to exit if fitted?

Hope that makes sense?

On 26/11/2017 at 19:54, Halsey said:

IMHO cruising after dark should very much be the exception not the rule ....

IMHO cruising after dark should very much be done when ever you feel like it.

There is something rather wonderful about night boating especially to the soundtrack of a slowly thumping vintage engine.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Richard10002 said:

Arrived this week and, other than a stinking cold and bad chest limiting my desire to do anything, one will be fitted very soon.

Can you help with the connecting? The bulb has a wire with a spade on it, so that is fine - presumably it's positive. But there is no negative wire. Presumably I connect a wire to the loop on the fitting that the bulb sits in??

Secondly, how do your wires exit the lamp body? There is a reasonable sized hole on the back which seems like the route, but there is also a cap for this hole, with no way for wires to exit if fitted?

Hope that makes sense?

Yes, pos to the bulb, neg to the bulb fitting surround. Any suitable point. 

I drilled two little holes in that cap and then stuck some gunk around them when the lamp was fitted in place. Marineflex, Sikaflex, Stixall, I can't remember; whatever I had to hand. I used two short bits of wire finished with bullet connectors (one each way round) to mate with the boat wiring. The intention was that it would make it easier to remove when required. Plug-n-play!

• Happy 1

I have a small spotlight on a short pole at the rear of the boat, controlled by the steerer. Here's a shot looking back from the front of the boat, in Blisworth tunnel. We point it a the side wall when passing other boats. I have a more useful photo somewhere.

55.jpg