Gas smell

Harlan

Featured Posts

Morning all

my neighbours just come out and said they could smell gas in there boat so she is going to change the gas bottle as somebody told her you get a gas smell when the bottles running out ????

I've never heard of this or think it's true .

I've adviced her to get her pipes pressure tested  ,Have i got this advice correct  

Cheers kev

Yes, the stench agent tends to settle at the bottom of the bottle so when you are running out you do indeed notice more of a gas smell. 

However, the above doesn’t preclude the possibility of a leak. 

Do they have a bubble tester? It’ll take one minute to discount a leak if they have. 

36 minutes ago, Harlan said:

Just looked no bubble tester

Apparently everything was turned off all night 

So with everything turned off they woke up and smelled gas?  If so i’d suggest they get out of the boat, remove the gas bottles from the locker and open doors front and rear to ventilate the boat. 

They should only notice the stronger stench when burning the gas, not with everything off!

• Greenie 2

1 hour ago, WotEver said:

So with everything turned off they woke up and smelled gas?  If so i’d suggest they get out of the boat, remove the gas bottles from the locker and open doors front and rear to ventilate the boat. 

They should only notice the stronger stench when burning the gas, not with everything off!

Spot on.

A gas smell when you have not used gas for any purpose for some considerable time is not a good thing, and needs explaining.

If you are using gas, (or very recently have been), then smells can be legitimate.  AS has been said the stenching agent in the gas is generally more noticeable if that cylinder is very close to running out.

It could become a very serious problem if not fixed. 

The prime risk, if left unchecked, is one of the gas concentration - propane or butane - building up to an explosive mixture, more so in the hull of a boat where there is no escape for the gas, and worse at low level in the bilge trapped under the floor where the gas collects because the vapour is heavier than air.

Fortunately the odour threshold of the gas is below the lower explosive limit so you can smell it before it can explode. Unfortunately the concentration of the gas can increase above the explosive limit without adding much more to the smell. So don't rely on smell to judge the magnitude of the explosion risk. The smell tells you there is a risk at the outset  - so fix it at the earliest opportunity. 

At odour threshold levels there is no perceived short term respiratory risk - but there could be if breathed for hours on end - which could happen unknowingly as the nose becomes  accustomed to the smell.

Also there is a serious risk of carbon monoxide CO, poisoning - if the smell of the gas occurs when heating appliances are running - the smell warns of incomplete combustion - which in turn generates CO - which is odourless at lethal levels - so if it is there you won't smell it - or anything else - ever again.

Until I replaced my cooker last year, I found that the smell lingered on the burners for ages and was quite noticeable in the boat even if the stove hadn't been used for a while.  It may just have been it was so old that it wasn't combusting properly anyway.  Haven't noticd it at all with the new cooker. And it cooks pies without burning them, too.

20 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Until I replaced my cooker last year, I found that the smell lingered on the burners for ages and was quite noticeable in the boat even if the stove hadn't been used for a while.  It may just have been it was so old that it wasn't combusting properly anyway.  Haven't noticd it at all with the new cooker. And it cooks pies without burning them, too.

FAR more likely one (or more) gas taps on your old cooker were letting by ever so slightly. Very common. 

22 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

FAR more likely one (or more) gas taps on your old cooker were letting by ever so slightly. Very common. 

Wouldn't surprise me.  It was in fairly dreaful condition by the time I binned it, very rusty and clogged with about twenty years of rubbish cooking - I got it when i had to get rid of my original one becaue the Safety Cert came in and the oven had to be flametrapped.  And it was secondhand then.  I never understood why the oven had to be flametrapped and the burners didn't when they were the ones likely to blow out from the draughts in the boat..  I notice my new one does have the burners protected.