Tethering - a phone that seems to not record data used?

Nev

Featured Posts

I have a very good 3 contract that allows unlimited data (from the phone) but also 30gb of tethered data. Now a good friend who used to rely on the same for his house internet (he lives north of the border in a remote and beautiful place that has bad wired internet but good 4g signal) he noted that his phone an LG G2 model when used to tether data on the 3 network did not seem to record any being used? Anyhow I was sceptical but he has now passed this phone to me and indeed I have browsed all evening, emailed, Youtubed etc and the data allowance is the same as I started the evening with ..... might be of interest to some out there ?

8 minutes ago, Nev said:

I have a very good 3 contract that allows unlimited data (from the phone) but also 30gb of tethered data. Now a good friend who used to rely on the same for his house internet (he lives north of the border in a remote and beautiful place that has bad wired internet but good 4g signal) he noted that his phone an LG G2 model when used to tether data on the 3 network did not seem to record any being used? Anyhow I was sceptical but he has now passed this phone to me and indeed I have browsed all evening, emailed, Youtubed etc and the data allowance is the same as I started the evening with ..... might be of interest to some out there ?

I also have an LG phone and the '3' 30gb plan

If you go into settings and 'mobile data' it shows your data used to tether.

It also says (something like) "this information may well be different to that actually recorded by your supplier", and it is normally quite different.

.... I am looking at 'my account' on the 3 website  - when I use my Iphone to tether this ticks down, when using the LG it stays static. My friend advised me it must be something to do with this particular phones ROM - that does not mean much to me !!

The networks can detect what kind of device is ultimately being used to view eg internet browsing quite easily. For example it is fairly trivial to put a redirect page on each page of website browsing, and in that ask the browser for its, among other things, screen size. Tons of other data can (and is) sensed like this. Whether network providers choose to count data as 'mobile' or 'tethering' is a somewhat separate thing, it seems, and some networks allow a bit of tethering without recording it as such - but rest assured, they do know how to tell whether it is or not.

9 hours ago, Nev said:

.... I am looking at 'my account' on the 3 website  - when I use my Iphone to tether this ticks down, when using the LG it stays static. My friend advised me it must be something to do with this particular phones ROM - that does not mean much to me !!

You must turn off any updates to your phone' system Or 3 mobile app. I had this for quite a few years and tethered to my and Kathys hearts content. My official tethering limit was 4gb.

I inadvertedly allowed an update through and suddenly I was limited and stung with a bill for around £30 over my normal payment. I did fight this as I was given no notice of a change,  but didn't win as it was all in the T&C. 

4 hours ago, matty40s said:

You must turn off any updates to your phone' system Or 3 mobile app. I had this for quite a few years and tethered to my and Kathys hearts content. My official tethering limit was 4gb.

I inadvertedly allowed an update through and suddenly I was limited and stung with a bill for around £30 over my normal payment. I did fight this as I was given no notice of a change,  but didn't win as it was all in the T&C. 

Same problem, my windows phone (I know, I got that wrong) would tether fine on Win8 but when it went to Win10 the phone requests the network if tethering is allowed and won't tether on my contract, so it no longer will tether.  

Alternatively there is an app called 'easy tether' it worked well for me this year when I was cruising.  It only works with a wired tether not a hotspot but it meant I wasn't permanently worried about losing internet.  It quite frightening how much data one can use in a day just smurfing about.