Jump to content
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

Canal World is currently fundraising. Please click here to find out more.

Dartagnan

Marina suggestions

Featured Posts

As I have previously mentioned  I currently have some cognitive issues which includes difficulty making decisions as I often make them whilst forgetting pertinent facts therefore I am looking for a bit of assistance regarding marina moorings.

I am hoping to purchase a NB in the very near future  it is probably going to be a 70ft trad.  Therefore I am considering which marina to choose if indeed we need one.  We are hoping to do some extended cruising but I will need to return to NI for oncology reviews every four months so will need somewhere to leave the boat for a few days.
In addition we would like to visit our daughter in Kingston upon Thames and for her to come and visit us whilst in the marina.  I don’t want to moor in London as I presume the cost would be horrendous.  I’m looking for a suitable marina which has good access to numerous canal routes with facilities ie showers and secure parking.  I have absolutely no idea where would be good without being too expensive but someone mentioned Calcutt marina? 
We will not be liveaboard as we will spend some time at our daughters as well as at home in NI.  Hence we wouldn’t wish to be moored at some place which is a million miles from London? I was hoping that those boaters with marina moorings experience might throw in some names for me to consider enabling me to research whilst taking notes so I don’t forget the pertinent facts  lol
TIA
Martin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Dartagnan said:

As I have previously mentioned  I currently have some cognitive issues which includes difficulty making decisions as I often make them whilst forgetting pertinent facts therefore I am looking for a bit of assistance regarding marina moorings.

I am hoping to purchase a NB in the very near future  it is probably going to be a 70ft trad.  Therefore I am considering which marina to choose if indeed we need one.  We are hoping to do some extended cruising but I will need to return to NI for oncology reviews every four months so will need somewhere to leave the boat for a few days.
In addition we would like to visit our daughter in Kingston upon Thames and for her to come and visit us whilst in the marina.  I don’t want to moor in London as I presume the cost would be horrendous.  I’m looking for a suitable marina which has good access to numerous canal routes with facilities ie showers and secure parking.  I have absolutely no idea where would be good without being too expensive but someone mentioned Calcutt marina? 
We will not be liveaboard as we will spend some time at our daughters as well as at home in NI.  Hence we wouldn’t wish to be moored at some place which is a million miles from London? I was hoping that those boaters with marina moorings experience might throw in some names for me to consider enabling me to research whilst taking notes so I don’t forget the pertinent facts  lol
TIA
Martin

Kings Marina - Newark (Nottinghamshire) 

Newark you may think - heck that's a long way from London. Newark is now a 'commuter' town for London so the travel is not that bad

Marina is pretty much right in the centre of Newark

But:

'Northern Prices'- probably 50% of London prices

Train Station is 10 minute walk from marina

Train 1.5 Hours to Kings Cross (London)

Train 20 minutes to Nottingham (then onto East Midlands Airport)

Supermarkets = Aldi (5 minutes), Morrisons (5 minutes) walk from Marina

Pubs/Restaurants= closest 5 minute walk probably choice of 10 within 15 minute walk.

Hospital with A&E

Cinema, theatres everything a small town should have

Marina has showers, toilets, water & electric to each berth, leisure and residential vacancies, secure entry and secure car-parking

 

Edit to add some important facts :

Both the local Chinese, and the Pizza place deliver directly to the boat - no delivery charge.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Alan's marina looks great for the takeaway deliveries and access to services i.e. Pubs etc. The opposite is the Calcut type marina which is remote ( but a few minutes car ride from civilisation). There are 3 marinas within a stones throw of there ( Wigrams turn and Ventnor) both great marinas with good management ( the most important measure). The benefit there is that they are at the crossroads of the canal network with 5 different ways to go in the 10 mile radius, with one way with 30 plus miles with only 4 locks and other ways with loads of locks and tunnels. You will never get bored. 

Wigrams turn has some very 'easy to get into berths' - maybe a factor for a new 70 footer?

Maybe we will look at Newark for next year:P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ventnor Farm Marina have some stupid rules like no power tools to be used outside of the boat at weekends. It disturbs the people who use their boat as a country cottage. Thankfully Calcutt is far more relaxed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Tonka said:

Ventnor Farm Marina have some stupid rules like no power tools to be used outside of the boat at weekends. It disturbs the people who use their boat as a country cottage. Thankfully Calcutt is far more relaxed

Sounds sensible to me

  • Happy 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you all for taking the time to respond.  The replies are exactly what I was looking for.

Newark sounds very good and we actually visited Newark a few years ago as I have relatives who live near Grantham.  We liked Newark as it appeared to have a lovely town centre and market.  I also like the thought of much cheaper moorings lol

The suggestions re Wigrams turn are also very helpful as to access a few cruising routes which I am very interested in together with the good management.  I can now have a look at the area and marinas via on line.

one of the reasons for looking at marinas with secure car parking is that whilst off on our jollies I would need somewhere to leave the car though with all the connections Newark has perhaps I don’t need to have the car there.

The comment regarding easy access mooring berths particularly for a newbie with a 70ft boat is particularly helpful to me lol

Edited by Dartagnan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

Alan's marina looks great for the takeaway deliveries and access to services i.e. Pubs etc. The opposite is the Calcut type marina which is remote ( but a few minutes car ride from civilisation). There are 3 marinas within a stones throw of there ( Wigrams turn and Ventnor) both great marinas with good management ( the most important measure). The benefit there is that they are at the crossroads of the canal network with 5 different ways to go in the 10 mile radius, with one way with 30 plus miles with only 4 locks and other ways with loads of locks and tunnels. You will never get bored. 

Wigrams turn has some very 'easy to get into berths' - maybe a factor for a new 70 footer?

Maybe we will look at Newark for next year:P

 

Another useful aspect is that, being part of a ’group’ of 20 marinas scattered around the country (including 2 in London), you can  get free reciprocal moorings in any of the other marinas for a period of 14 days - so if you are on a cruise and need to get ‘back home’ you can pop into the nearest  one, leave your boat knowing it is safe and sound, (or plan a trip to the ’city’ knowing you are guaranteed to get a mooring).

Fully residential mooring (inc. Council tax, Post Box and mailing address for Doctors registration, and free pump-outs) £3933 per annum for a 'full-length boat'

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Most berths at Wigrams turn are laid out in a herring bone layout so going in you are doing far less than a 90 deg turn. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Tonka said:

Ventnor Farm Marina have some stupid rules like no power tools to be used outside of the boat at weekends. It disturbs the people who use their boat as a country cottage. Thankfully Calcutt is far more relaxed

That sounds good to me. Every one uses there boat differently  so all need consideration.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

That sounds good to me. Every one uses there boat differently  so all need consideration.

I agree; I don't think rules that restrict noise are "stupid" at all. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, rgreg said:

I agree; I don't think rules that restrict noise are "stupid" at all. 

I heard on the radio last week that a couple got evicted from their flat because the other residents complained about the baby crying a lot. https://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/london-family-facing-eviction-from-flat-after-neighbours-complained-about-their-crying-baby-a3693756.html

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Kings Marina - Newark (Nottinghamshire) 

Newark you may think - heck that's a long way from London. Newark is now a 'commuter' town for London so the travel is not that bad

Marina is pretty much right in the centre of Newark

But:

'Northern Prices'- probably 50% of London prices

Train Station is 10 minute walk from marina

Train 1.5 Hours to Kings Cross (London)

Train 20 minutes to Nottingham (then onto East Midlands Airport)

Supermarkets = Aldi (5 minutes), Morrisons (5 minutes) walk from Marina

Pubs/Restaurants= closest 5 minute walk probably choice of 10 within 15 minute walk.

Hospital with A&E

Cinema, theatres everything a small town should have

Marina has showers, toilets, water & electric to each berth, leisure and residential vacancies, secure entry and secure car-parking

 

Edit to add some important facts :

Both the local Chinese, and the Pizza place deliver directly to the boat - no delivery charge.

You forgot the Waitrose. Possibly even closer than the Aldi. 

I quite enjoyed our enforced stay at King's Marina and confirm all Alan said. It's certainly a marina that would be at or near the topl of my list if I was looking for a permanent mooring. Would just have to convince Jeannette that rivers are really quite nice. 

Edited by pearley

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, pearley said:

You forgot the Waitrose. Possibly even closer than the Aldi. 

Then there is the 'Malt shovel' (5 min from Marina)

Real ale at under £2 and sausage egg and chips at £2.75, Steak, Chips and all the trimmings at £4.50

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Then there is the 'Malt shovel' (5 min from Marina)

Real ale at under £2 and sausage egg and chips at £2.75, Steak, Chips and all the trimmings at £4.50

Right , you've convinced me, i'm moving.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Brilliant reply’s, thank you very much.

I am so so pleased that I registered with this forum a few years ago.  Fantastic source of opinions from experienced boaters sometimes with differing views but all food for genuine thought.  

Must say I like the idea of reciprocal mooring at different marinas.  Sounds just what I want but th local facilities at Newark are also a huge draw.  

decisions decisions

Many thanks - Martin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have a look at Heyford Fields Marina in Northamptonshire.

Midway on the 14 mile pound between Buckby Locks and Stoke Bruerne.

Less than 10 min by car from Junc 16 of the M1, but lovely rural location and excellent facilities.

Edited by Big Bob W

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, rusty69 said:

Sounds sensible to me

Not if you work Monday to Friday and you have a job to do on your boat at the weekend which involves a power tool

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Tonka said:

Not if you work Monday to Friday and you have a job to do on your boat at the weekend which involves a power tool

And its outside :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Big Bob W said:

Have a look at Heyford Fields Marina in Northamptonshire.

Midway on the 14 mile pound between Buckby Locks and Stoke Bruerne.

Less than 10 min by car from Junc 16 of the M1, but lovely rural location and excellent facilities.

Bob thank you for the suggestion, will definitely have a look

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not 100% sure of 70ft compatibility but if you want a different thought Oundle marina (and others) on the river nene might be worth a look - generally cheaper but you can sometimes get caught out by river levels as first and foremost the Nene is a drainage system and a navigation second - there are a couple of very new ones struggling for occupants at the moment so you might get a good deal - don't EVER be frightened to negotiate and farmers love cash!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Halsey said:

Not 100% sure of 70ft compatibility but if you want a different thought Oundle marina (and others) on the river nene might be worth a look - generally cheaper but you can sometimes get caught out by river levels as first and foremost the Nene is a drainage system and a navigation second - there are a couple of very new ones struggling for occupants at the moment so you might get a good deal - don't EVER be frightened to negotiate and farmers love cash!

Blackthorn will take 70ft boats

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Kings Marina - Newark (Nottinghamshire) 

Newark you may think - heck that's a long way from London. Newark is now a 'commuter' town for London so the travel is not that bad

Marina is pretty much right in the centre of Newark

But:

'Northern Prices'- probably 50% of London prices

Train Station is 10 minute walk from marina

Train 1.5 Hours to Kings Cross (London)

Train 20 minutes to Nottingham (then onto East Midlands Airport)

Supermarkets = Aldi (5 minutes), Morrisons (5 minutes) walk from Marina

Pubs/Restaurants= closest 5 minute walk probably choice of 10 within 15 minute walk.

Hospital with A&E

Cinema, theatres everything a small town should have

Marina has showers, toilets, water & electric to each berth, leisure and residential vacancies, secure entry and secure car-parking

 

Edit to add some important facts :

Both the local Chinese, and the Pizza place deliver directly to the boat - no delivery charge.

You forgot to mention Waitrose!

 

ETA. Sorry just read the rest of the thread and see that this had already been mentioned.

 

Edited by Alway Swilby

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Tonka said:

Ventnor Farm Marina have some stupid rules like no power tools to be used outside of the boat at weekends. It disturbs the people who use their boat as a country cottage. Thankfully Calcutt is far more relaxed

I remember Ventnor opening, its not been around very long and their blurb announced strictly no liveaboards. It has always amused me why any marina wouldn't want a free security team on site and it put me off that marina from day one. I am at present in a much nicer marina with way more facilities and they gave me their mooring rates information when I came in it has two types of mooring fees written in bold at the top one heading says Fees Non Residential. There is on the same page Fees Residential. Its less than £2.50 per week extra to liveaboard obviously residential are limited but the marina has the sense to value people who keep an eye on their property for them and who spend lots of Wonga in the marina facilities.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

I remember Ventnor opening, its not been around very long and their blurb announced strictly no liveaboards. It has always amused me why any marina wouldn't want a free security team on site and it put me off that marina from day one. I am at present in a much nicer marina with way more facilities and they gave me their mooring rates information when I came in it has two types of mooring fees written in bold at the top one heading says Fees Non Residential. There is on the same page Fees Residential. Its less than £2.50 per week extra to liveaboard obviously residential are limited but the marina has the sense to value people who keep an eye on their property for them and who spend lots of Wonga in the marina facilities.

I believe some marinas only say no residential moorings due to the local area rules. Agree with you though about it making sense to have liveaboards in a marina. We don't live on our boat and are pleased to have neighbours who do, they keep an eye on ours. Sounds a bargain where your moored.. might see you in the waterfront over the next few days...

Ian.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×