ruston hornsby db1

haza

Featured Posts

hi  heres one for all you peeps what now about these things ...a friend of mine as a ruston hornsby in is narrowboat ..where these engines used much in the day as i have not come across one in a narrowboat before ...not that i know about these things any way ..he ask mister if he knew about them as he maybe putting it up for sale ...and was wondering what would be the asking price of such engine ..mister does not have a clue ...do any of you clever people ..thanks 

1 hour ago, haza said:

hi  heres one for all you peeps what now about these things ...a friend of mine as a ruston hornsby in is narrowboat ..where these engines used much in the day as i have not come across one in a narrowboat before ...not that i know about these things any way ..he ask mister if he knew about them as he maybe putting it up for sale ...and was wondering what would be the asking price of such engine ..mister does not have a clue ...do any of you clever people ..thanks 

Hi Haza,

According to the marine Engine Database (http://users.skynet.be/sky34301/engdata.html ), there is no such Ruston engine as a DB1 so it's hard to comment.

Can you check with him what exactly he has? Some Rustons are really quite valuable, others only worth pocket money.

OR, if it has no data plate identifying it, post a photo of it please. 

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

will do mike ..my friend said it was made in lincon ..like you said i will get the exact detailsi may have missed some thing .i have seen the engine in my friends boat .i got to say its a big lump ...thanks any way mike 

oh by the way mike mister had a jam with chris jagger ...what a nice down to earth guy 

hi mike and who ever maybe interested in this ..i spoke to my friend ..said  you need more info mike ...and he gave me this ..rushton and hornsby 3vrh 33 horse power ex crane model 10rb tractor unit ...he also commented some years back three other engine bods tried to find out more about this engine but failed in there quest ..lol i wonder if the well know MTB  will fail also ...lol regards haza

20 minutes ago, WotEver said:

49.5hp @ 1500 rpm according to this site:

http://realdiesels.co.uk/rustondata.html

And here 45hp @ 1,500 RPM

http://users.skynet.be/sky34301/engdata.html

Towards the upper end of ideal in a narrow boat, I would say, but by no means the most powerful vintage engine that people do use in them.

Edited by alan_fincher

Just now, WotEver said:

That’s quoted as the 3VRHM as opposed to 3VRH - does the extra character mean owt?

Dunno about R&H, but in general for some manufacturers an 'M' appended, (or sometimes embedded) often means "Marine", (even if it only means fitted "with marine gearbox").

Often marine versions are quoted at a de-rated spec over an industrial unit, but it tends to vary, and it can be the the other way about.

For example I have two Lister HA2s now, and actually the one marinised from a standby generator engine still bears a plate showing 18HP, whereas the one supplied originally as "Marine", ("HA2M") says 22HP.  I have no reason to suppose that as now set up, both are broadly equivalent in terms of power.

• Greenie 1

37 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

Dunno about R&H, but in general for some manufacturers an 'M' appended, (or sometimes embedded) often means "Marine", (even if it only means fitted "with marine gearbox").

Interesting, thanks :)

you guys amaze me at times ..thanks so much ...i will pass on all info ..as my friend is of the old old school ..he dont do pc.s mobile phones ...is take on is hes done ok in life with out these things ...but i   would suggest has not ...lol thanks again 

Think Lister JP3, size wise comparison. 

3VRH doesn't normally run at 1500 in the 10RB crane/excavator, quite happy at just above idling  as it would be in a narrowboat, loads of torque and bomb-proof , beautiful sound, totally reliable,not many spares around now,but won't need them. Smokes a lot cos they  never get hot enough. Ours is still in a 10RB- made in 1949 and last major engine overhaul in 1959.Always starts even in cold weather.

Bill

40 minutes ago, billh said:

Think Lister JP3, size wise comparison. 

3VRH doesn't normally run at 1500 in the 10RB crane/excavator, quite happy at just above idling  as it would be in a narrowboat, loads of torque and bomb-proof , beautiful sound, totally reliable,not many spares around now,but won't need them. Smokes a lot cos they  never get hot enough. Ours is still in a 10RB- made in 1949 and last major engine overhaul in 1959.Always starts even in cold weather.

Bill

With a Lister gearbox?

Richard

16 minutes ago, RLWP said:

With a Lister gearbox?

Richard

No, the 10RB has a gear *case* about 5 times bigger than a piddling Lister canal boat box. Quadruple roller chain primary drive, five drum clutches, oil pump to lubricate the  gears- proper heavy duty engineering. :D

Mating a Lister Box to the 3VRH would require a separate mounting from the engine and a heavy coupling between. I can't see there being a bell-housing that would go round the large flywheel.

i will be visiting my friend some time next week i will take some photos a try to put them up on here ,thanks so so much ...for all your comments ...would any one  know a ball park cost of one of these engines .thanks 

23 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

And here 45hp @ 1,500 RPM

http://users.skynet.be/sky34301/engdata.html

Towards the upper end of ideal in a narrow boat, I would say, but by no means the most powerful vintage engine that people do use in them.

I think there's a few 2 pot Ruston engines in narrow boats. A bit more reasonable size.

Edited by David Mack

3 hours ago, haza said:

i will be visiting my friend some time next week i will take some photos a try to put them up on here ,thanks so so much ...for all your comments ...would any one  know a ball park cost of one of these engines .thanks 

Really can't tell without knowing what it is exactly. 

Richard