London Boat prices and sellers expectations

PD1964

Featured Posts

Just seen this advertised on Apolloduck

http://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/boat.phtml?id=523771 

Looking at the sellers location Hackney, London, do they think they can actually get £49,000 for a 1986, 40ft boat or are they just hoping that there are people that desperate to get some form of accommodation in the London area and are willing to pay well over the market value?

Does the price reflect the Marina location, as the seller does not mention if it comes with a mooring or if the mooring is transferable?

London boaters please let us know if this boat reflects the current valuation and selling market of London boats and expectations of boat sellers in the area.

Even if the mooring is transferable, it won't be secure and the new owner could be given a month's notice.

Just a chancer hoping for a naive buyer who will manage to knock a few grand off the price and think they have got a bargain.  Actual value of boat?  Probably about 20K on a good day.

6 minutes ago, dor said:

Even if the mooring is transferable, it won't be secure and the new owner could be given a month's notice.

Just a chancer hoping for a naive buyer who will manage to knock a few grand off the price and think they have got a bargain.  Actual value of boat?  Probably about 20K on a good day.

Yes, but I would call them an idiot not a chancer,  then again there will probably be a young naive buyer along soon in the "New to Boating" section asking what do the forum members think of this boat, as they want somewhere cheap to live in London. Lol.

8 minutes ago, WotEver said:

It’s ‘orrible. Its one redeeming feature is that it’s still floating. 

It would make a fair enough student bed-sit, if there are any students around with £49,000 spare. Could do with a new bit of carpet, mind.

1 hour ago, WotEver said:

It’s ‘orrible. Its one redeeming feature is that it’s still floating. 

It looks like a Fernie whatever the ad says and they look quite good actually and go through the water very well.

Shame it's never moved far enough to get a photo of the front end.

Edited by matty40s
  • Greenie 1

You also see lots of newish boats often widebeams, all fitted out from a sailaway, bought 9 months ago. There is no mention of a RCD only of the sailaway documentation and I suspect none have had a BSS examination. Caveat Emptor  maybe, but as I understand it is an illegal sale and the fitter out is liable for injury even after the sale under the new RCD.

5 minutes ago, Detling said:

You also see lots of newish boats often widebeams, all fitted out from a sailaway, bought 9 months ago. There is no mention of a RCD only of the sailaway documentation and I suspect none have had a BSS examination. Caveat Emptor  maybe, but as I understand it is an illegal sale and the fitter out is liable for injury even after the sale under the new RCD.

For sure it would be an illegal sale but I’m not sure that your final point is correct. If it doesn’t have an RCD when you buy it then it never will (the five year thing is now irrelevant) unless you pay to get it certified yourself  

In theory, if you purchase a non-exempt boat that doesn’t have the RCD certification then it could be removed from the water by the authorities but I’d think that would be extremely unlikely to happen in reality. What is more likely is that when you come to sell it no broker will touch it and neither would some private buyers. 

1 hour ago, Dave123 said:

Doesn't 50 litres seem a bit small for a diesel tank? I think it's quite nice though but way over priced. It's not like Springfield is that near transport.

Probably a typo. Maybe it's gallons although that would be quite a big tank on 40' boat..

It is also down to interpretation and knowledge.

A surveyor today has done a survey on a £98k boat and said the skin fittings should be much further above the waterline than they are.

The buyer is obviously worried , and even with a reassurance that it's only a recommendation on a boat unless it'  for commercial use, and the sinks are higher anyway, who does the buyer believe, the surveyor they have paid £800 for, or a couple of guys in a boatyard.:D

1 minute ago, Flyboy said:

Probably a typo. Maybe it's gallons although that would be quite a big tank on 40' boat..

It may well be a newer smaller tank inside the older rotted tank. These boats had  flooded gas lockers which often rotted and the fuel tanks were under the portside deck boards and often rot from outside in!!!

11 minutes ago, Flyboy said:

My boat is stated as having a 225 litre tank (approx 49.5 imperial gallons) in its manual, so not especially large, plus a further 40 litre tank ( approx 9.5 imperial gallons) for the oil drip stove.

16 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Depends if the recommendations by the surveyor are required to secure insurance cover or not

Again, some of these boats ( Fernie,  Harborough, Springer) were built with top quality steel 5mm sideplates, if they have only lost 1.1mm in pits in 40 years, why should that invalidate insurance cover to third party only. You need to be selective with insurance companies and make sure maintenance if hull is maintained, if not improved with 2 packing or zingering.

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Again, some of these boats ( Fernie,  Harborough, Springer) were built with top quality steel 5mm sideplates, if they have only lost 1.1mm in pits in 40 years, why should that invalidate insurance cover to third party only. You need to be selective with insurance companies and make sure maintenance if hull is maintained, if not improved with 2 packing or zingering.

Sorry, I was assuming , incorrectly it would seem, that fully comp insurance would be required for the 98k boat.

Edited by rusty69

6 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

I thought that was what matty40s was suggesting with the third party only comment. 

Are all three boats added together come to 98K I would have thought he was talking about 30K boats, Harborough, Springer I don't know the other but I cant imagine any 5mm hulled boat coming in at 98K