London Boat prices and sellers expectations

PD1964

Featured Posts

Route master platforms were very handy for catching the bus you had just missed, assuming you could run reasonably fast (I could in those days) but a less well documented advantage was that on the way home after a skinfull you could upchuck off the back while it was still moving.

No need to stink out the bus or have to get off and wait for the next bus. As long as you positioned yourself correctly there was little risk of getting any on yourself, though cyclists being overtaken by the bus may not have fared so well.

34 minutes ago, Lily Rose said:

Route master platforms were very handy for catching the bus you had just missed, assuming you could run reasonably fast (I could in those days) but a less well documented advantage was that on the way home after a skinfull you could upchuck off the back while it was still moving.

No need to stink out the bus or have to get off and wait for the next bus. As long as you positioned yourself correctly there was little risk of getting any on yourself, though cyclists being overtaken by the bus may not have fared so well.

I bet the Pizza Delivery Rider following the Bus was not impressed!

37 minutes ago, Lily Rose said:

Route master platforms were very handy for catching the bus you had just missed, assuming you could run reasonably fast (I could in those days) ...................

It has been widely reported that one reason they were kept operating for so long was that they realised that a huge amount of the journeys that were made were by people who leapt on and off between stops, because it was convenient, and who would not have bothered to board if they could only do it at bus stops.  Stopping this practice meant less fares collected, so less revenue.

No idea if that has any truth in it, but it makes a good story!

• Greenie 1

Just to be boring, a Routemaster was the last 'proper bus  - a deck (semi-trad) on which to jump on and off and more importantly, the driver up-front in his own sealed compartment where he could concentrate on driving and not be involved with the paying public. The sad thing is that it didn't use a Gardner (I don't know as I had no idea about engines in the years that I used them and STs and STLs). The later types ? Atlantean ? did - was it a 6 or 8 cylinder mounted athwartships at the rear.

A proper Routemaster MUST be red - anything else doesn't look quite right.. Not a problem as there weren't many of them (if any) in central London...

1 hour ago, Ray T said:

Here's some red and green ones

untitled.png

Second from the left obviously worked for the GUCCCo at some time.;)

I used to catch the 406 to and from school. Don't recall a 406A though, perhaps it was the one that continued on from Epsom to Tadworth?