London Boat prices and sellers expectations

PD1964

Featured Posts

Just now, ditchcrawler said:

Are all three boats added together come to 98K I would have thought he was talking about 30K boats, Harborough, Springer I don't know the other but I cant imagine any 5mm hulled boat coming in at 98K

Ah, then  i misunderstood. My original comment was based on the survey on the 98k boat the couple had had surveyed. 

Many apologies 

9 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

I thought that was what matty40s was suggesting with the third party only comment. 

what I am saying is that some insurance companies have this 4mm minimum plating for fully comp insurance without looking at the detail..

If you have 3.9mm from an original 40 years old plate of 5mm ...or even 4mm, then some companies will insure it as they have people who know boats rather than robots telling them this will be an insurable vessel.

others will say, no, its scrap.

1 minute ago, matty40s said:

what I am saying is that some insurance companies have this 4mm minimum plating for fully comp insurance without looking at the detail..

If you have 3.9mm from an original 40 years old plate of 5mm ...or even 4mm, then some companies will insure it as they have people who know boats rather than robots telling them this will be an insurable vessel.

others will say, no, its scrap.

I understand what you are saying as i have recently had work on my own boat that didn't need doing so I could get it insured fully comp. 

I was however commenting on the insurance /survey on the 98k boat you described. 

6 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Ah, then  i misunderstood. My original comment was based on the survey on the 98k boat the couple had had surveyed. 

Many apologies 

my response to your comment is that some surveyors do not seem to realise that not all boats started with 10mm or 15 mm plating and anything alien to their knowledge sphere should be treated as it it was a modern boat  which is what they understand. 

1 minute ago, matty40s said:

my response to your comment is that some surveyors do not seem to realise that not all boats started with 10mm or 15 mm plating and anything alien to their knowledge sphere should be treated as it it was a modern boat  which is what they understand. 

Please advise details of these insurers you mention, i will be glad to have them when my survey expires 

26 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

13 minutes ago, matty40s said:

i have been talking about marine surveyors....not the insurers

Then i have misunderstood again. :)

Eta. I used a well respected surveyor who suggested our weedhatch height required increasing for the insurance, even though its been fine for 35 years. 

Edited by rusty69

3 hours ago, WotEver said:

For sure it would be an illegal sale but I’m not sure that your final point is correct. If it doesn’t have an RCD when you buy it then it never will (the five year thing is now irrelevant) unless you pay to get it certified yourself  

In theory, if you purchase a non-exempt boat that doesn’t have the RCD certification then it could be removed from the water by the authorities but I’d think that would be extremely unlikely to happen in reality. What is more likely is that when you come to sell it no broker will touch it and neither would some private buyers. 

Can I ask what this has to do with the original questions asked???

3 hours ago, matty40s said:

It is also down to interpretation and knowledge.

A surveyor today has done a survey on a £98k boat and said the skin fittings should be much further above the waterline than they are.

The buyer is obviously worried , and even with a reassurance that it's only a recommendation on a boat unless it'  for commercial use, and the sinks are higher anyway, who does the buyer believe, the surveyor they have paid £800 for, or a couple of guys in a boatyard.:D

It may well be a newer smaller tank inside the older rotted tank. These boats had  flooded gas lockers which often rotted and the fuel tanks were under the portside deck boards and often rot from outside in!!!

Again what has this to do with the original post about an over-priced boat for sale and the expectations of London Boat sellers??? 

I'll tell you absolutely nothing, I don't even know why it was added???

• Sad 1
  • Unimpressed 1

3 hours ago, Detling said:

You also see lots of newish boats often widebeams, all fitted out from a sailaway, bought 9 months ago. There is no mention of a RCD only of the sailaway documentation and I suspect none have had a BSS examination. Caveat Emptor  maybe, but as I understand it is an illegal sale and the fitter out is liable for injury even after the sale under the new RCD.

And what was this all about??? Again no relevance to the original post, baffling.

• Unimpressed 2

8 hours ago, PD1964 said:

And what was this all about??? Again no relevance to the original post, baffling.

It will not baffle many people, who are accustomed to see threads develop as they go along, just as face-to-face conversations tend to do.

10 hours ago, PD1964 said:

Can I ask what this has to do with the original questions asked???

Absolutely nothing, it was in response to another post within the thread as the thread developed and meandered as threads do. 

2 hours ago, Athy said:

It will not baffle many people, who are accustomed to see threads develop as they go along, just as face-to-face conversations tend to do.

It's the post below which I can't understand, absolutely nothing to do with the Thread at all,

14 hours ago, Detling said:

You also see lots of newish boats often widebeams, all fitted out from a sailaway, bought 9 months ago. There is no mention of a RCD only of the sailaway documentation and I suspect none have had a BSS examination. Caveat Emptor  maybe, but as I understand it is an illegal sale and the fitter out is liable for injury even after the sale under the new RCD.

What has this to do with the Thread, please explain why you put it on Detling, as the boat for sale does not need a RCD being built in 1986 or is a widebeam a sailaway or a new boat???????

Detling If you going to join in a Thread discussion please make sure your comments have some relevancy with the actual subject being discussed!

• Unimpressed 1

3 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

What has this to do with the Thread

Boats being sold in London to unsuspecting folk who don’t know the difference between a bargain and a money pit I guess. 

4 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

absolutely nothing to do with the Thread at all,

I can see the association clearly. 

27 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

It's the post below which I can't understand, absolutely nothing to do with the Thread at all,

What has this to do with the Thread, please explain why you put it on Detling, as the boat for sale does not need a RCD being built in 1986 or is a widebeam a sailaway or a new boat???????

Detling If you going to join in a Thread discussion please make sure your comments have some relevancy with the actual subject being discussed!

If this winds you up then this forum may not be for you. You can contribute to a thread on engine mounts and check the next day to find it's now about leaky locks.

7 minutes ago, Sir Nibble said:

If this winds you up then this forum may not be for you. You can contribute to a thread on engine mounts and check the next day to find it's now about leaky locks.

Not toilets then? My, how things are changing.

It's a bit like Test Match Special, which I was delighted to hear returning to the airwaves last night: it starts off talking about cricket, it will deviate via cakes, buses and the Lord knows what else, but will eventually return, after an interesting and entertaining detour, to a discussion of cricket. I am not advocating discussion of Victoria sponges and Routemeasters on here, but I hope that you get my drift.

3 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Or chocolate covered pecans

It must take a lot of chocolate to coat a bird that size.

33 minutes ago, Sir Nibble said:

Nothing really winds me up, especially irrelevant things said on here.

So what's the point of having Threads and subjects? just have a open house and people can just write anything on any Thread, lets start doing it on every Thread then and see how long the Forum lasts.

4 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

So what's the point of having Threads and subjects? just have a open house and people can just write anything on any Thread, lets start doing it on every Thread then and see how long the Forum lasts.

But your numerous posts on the thread are also detracting from the original  post, which you seem to be happy to ignore :)

Edited by rusty69
  • Haha 1
  • Horror 1

15 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

That’s been happening since the forum started and after many years it appears to still be going :)

• Greenie 1

7 hours ago, PD1964 said:

You should start a separate thread on this subject.

See quite easy to set an exemplar of the very same thing being protested about!  ;)

Edited by mark99