Perkins Engine 'Newage' Gearbox 160D2 - What gear box oil do I need?

Featured Posts

Hello

Just trying to figure out what oil to use in our gearbox. We have a Perkins 3 cylinder engine with a 'Newage' Gearbox 160D2. A bit of googling and I found a table that says I should use 15W40 oil but just wanted to ask here to make sure.

Any one know? And from where I can get it?

Cheers

Amber

34 minutes ago, RLWP said:

This is the manual, it specified 20W50

http://www.prm-newage.com/media/File/160D man.pdf

20W50 or 15W40 are pretty common oils, somewhere like Halfords will have it

Richard

.... and that's where the fun starts.  Mineral?, Semi Synthetic?, Fully Synthetic?, Audi spec, Renault spec, Ford spec? Long life? Low ash?  Oil appears to have become a "black art" in places like Halfords.

I suspect mineral is the one to use but worth checking before you buy.

34 minutes ago, GRLMK38 said:

.... and that's where the fun starts.  Mineral?, Semi Synthetic?, Fully Synthetic?, Audi spec, Renault spec, Ford spec? Long life? Low ash?  Oil appears to have become a "black art" in places like Halfords.

I suspect mineral is the one to use but worth checking before you buy.

I doubt the gearbox really cares. It doesn't have to deal with the heat, fuels or combustion products an engine does

This is for cars of the same era as the gearbox: http://www.halfords.com/motoring/engine-oils-fluids/engine-oil/halfords-classic-oil-20w50-5l

Buy that

Richard

9 minutes ago, The Boat Studio said:

oh heck!

I am not sure Halfords would be able to advise me..

Any ideas about how i could find out which type specifically?

An easy to find one would be Castrol GTX which is listed in that manual. 

Better still to ignore me and listen to Richard :)

A mineral oil to API Specification CC S anything (CC/SF) will be fine.  Morris's of Shrewsbury do Golden Film 20W/50 and many chandlers keep it. Classic Oils of Bicester also sell it mail order for a decent price.

N

14 minutes ago, RLWP said:

I doubt the gearbox really cares. It doesn't have to deal with the heat, fuels or combustion products an engine does

This is for cars of the same era as the gearbox: http://www.halfords.com/motoring/engine-oils-fluids/engine-oil/halfords-classic-oil-20w50-5l

Buy that

Richard

I agree.  I was highlighting how complicated buying oil has become and it was worth knowing what to buy before you get there, which you have kindly confirmed.

1 hour ago, BEngo said:

A mineral oil to API Specification CC S anything (CC/SF) will be fine.  Morris's of Shrewsbury do Golden Film 20W/50 and many chandlers keep it. Classic Oils of Bicester also sell it mail order for a decent price.

N

A CC oil would be fine. But whereas the engine probably shouldn't use anything higher, is there any reason why you can't chuck whatever supermarket oil is cheapest in the gearbox?

Or, as Richard says, use whatever goes in the Perkins.

That way you only need one type of spare oil stored on board, not two.

Whatever the manual says, if you actually email or phone PRM, they will almost certainly say something like "if it's suitable for your engine it is suitable for this gearbox".

1 hour ago, David Mack said:

A CC oil would be fine. But whereas the engine probably shouldn't use anything higher, is there any reason why you can't chuck whatever supermarket oil is cheapest in the gearbox?

That's my usual advice, I thought I'd do it properly for a change

Richard

2 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Yeah, but I have some API CF oil on Belfast which I won't put in the engine, but I was wondering if it's OK for the PRM hydraulic box.

Yes, I'm sure it will be, (assuming it's not some ridiculous viscosity).

Gearboxes don't have bores to glaze.