locks; can you do it on your own

katty45

Featured Posts

I used to do locks singlehanded in a variety of conditions, with a dog. I would usually ensure the dog is tied to the boat, for safety, in a way which the dog couldn't undo mischievously (which would be more difficult to achieve with a child), but of course one danger is that if the boat were to sink in the lock, it would take the dog with it (I never found a way round this and just trusted that the dog would struggle/wriggle enough to make it out of the harness, in a life or death situation). Sometimes the dog would come off the boat with me, in an unfamiliar place and with the nose of a hound, realistically she had to stay on the lead at all times. Doing the lock definitely slowed if the dog was off the boat with me, and if I had to cross the lockgates on their walkways rather than a provided bridge, it was a mini-nightmare. Fortunately, because they were predominantly single locks, sometimes I could avoid crossing and just work one side of the lock. But if two gates needed opening, ie going down in most single locks, it was unavoidable. Going up wasn't such an issue because the lock would be full and crossing could be done on and off the boat. With a widebeam and wide locks, you'll always be needing to cross over on manned locks (lockkeeper operated locks ie big ones on a river will be easier, due to staying on the boat). Hopefully your 7 year old would display self preservation and common sense but I'd not want to rely on it too many times.

It is no doubt possible but I personally wouldn't do it single-handedly with both a widebeam and a 7 year old to consider. It can be demanding enough with just a 55ft nb and a fairly well trained dog aboard! Part of the challenge is endurance, in that there's a big difference between doing a few locks to spending an entire day cruising and doing flights of locks single-handed.

Teach the offspring to steer,they will learn quickly,  you work the lock, at 60 I was handling a 38ton 61x12 barge on my own (when I had to) just take it slow and carefully. Autoinflate life jacket for nipper is a must and a cycle helmet ;)

2 hours ago, thebfg said:

Children are quick learners, get them a decent life jacket

I am sure they will only fall in once. 

They learn to do locks and bridges very quickly. 

Our two do  all the bridges and help with all the locks.

You will have a wb. Might be quicker and easier to teach them to steer in and out of locks. Not that I'm suggesting it 

You need some one who is competent to do locks to teach them.

In my experience locks become easier the more you do and putting a boat into a lock or taking it out again isn't the hard part. The lass with the windlass has the power, so while you have help, leave the men and your boy on the tiller with their bow near the front gates and learn to control it's rise or fall by controlled raising of the paddles and using middle ropes and/or bow line when needed - but always ask the skipper on the tiller if they're ready before you start (to make them feel necessary). When you're ready - try single handing while someone else is with you, just in case. Safe journeys and have fun with your son.

45 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Many of us wonder/guess/think, but only one dares to ask.

My dad died in a car crash 13 yrs ago.....i believe the universe has given me these men to help and guide me...man a) my sons father  man B) my ex partner who is also my best friend man c) my current partner who lives in Buxton...now you know!

As with many threads - this one is getting a bit silly, apart from the safety of the youngster (not being an issue limited to boating), I would be concerned about working broads locks:-

• Climbing up wet and mucky lock ladders is not nice for anyone, let alone for someone who needs sensitive hands to earn their living.
  • The lock beams and paddle gear are often very heavy to operate. 

These points can be evaluated by borrowing a lock windlass and going and trying the issue.

On 21/11/2017 at 18:47, haggis said:

Just a thought 

I found the locks on the Erewash hard work  stiff paddles and heavy gates 

Haggis 

Ditto on some of the Northern system too. Without opening a whole can of worms around genders and the respective physical capabilities of both it is a fact that physical strength does play a part. Its just a simple fact.

I was reminded of this when I helped a pair of boats down the Caen Hill flight last summer which also had a few sets of stiff to operate paddles.

42 minutes ago, MJG said:

Ditto on some of the Northern system too. Without opening a whole can of worms around genders and the respective physical capabilities of both it is a fact that physical strength does play a part. Its just a simple fact.

I agree that being a weak female didn't help :-) and at the time I was waiting for an op on a torn cartilage in my knee which made walking painful  might have contributed to my difficulty. 

However, we weren't all that slow as we came back down from the festival on our own but were quickly followed by two boats with a total of 4 crew.  We quickly lost sight of them. They had to turn every lock but so did we as a pair had gone down earlier. 

haggis

Edited by haggis

Oh for goodness sake you don't need men to operate locks. I regularly single hand my widebeam through awkward locks and moor in places where a plank is needed. The dogs stay in the boat out of harms way, and make sure you and your child have life jackets. Plan ahead and think about what you are doing,  if it feels dodgy or unsafe then don't' do it. The key thing is to take your time and get used to handling your boat. Have help until you are confident on your own. 

14 minutes ago, Meanderingviking said:

Oh for goodness sake you don't need men to operate locks. I regularly single hand my widebeam through awkward locks and moor in places where a plank is needed. The dogs stay in the boat out of harms way, and make sure you and your child have life jackets. Plan ahead and think about what you are doing,  if it feels dodgy or unsafe then don't' do it. The key thing is to take your time and get used to handling your boat. Have help until you are confident on your own. 

I think those last  10 words are most important.

14 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Oh bugger. 

MtB shuffles off defeated, looking at dejectedly at his shoes.... 

10 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

you don't actually need men for anything...

... but they can be handy to have around. Sometimes.

They can be entertaining though especially if they are blessed with a sense of humour .........:D

11 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Oh bugger. 

MtB shuffles off defeated, looking at dejectedly at his shoes.... 

10 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Oh dear. MtB shuffles closer towards the edge of the cut.... wondering what a 'sense of humour' is...

I wouldn’t shout that too loudly on a public forum C&RT may be listening and you know they say ‘shuffling’ is not allowed.