Chinese Solar Controller Instructions.

Jen-in-Wellies

Featured Posts

Two of my boating neighbours have bought these cheap Chinese solar controllers. They are marketed as MPPT, but actually are PWM with three different charging strategies for different times of day, so more of a pseudo MPPT. They are considerably cheaper than real MPPT controllers.

We have installed them OK, but can't work out how to program them for setting time and cut off points for different charging strategies. The "English" instructions look to have been run through a translation program from Chinese by someone completely unfamiliar with English and possibly Mandarin too, so it uses terms like "flow pressure" for voltage and weird sentence structures. They have defeated us. This is the worst example of "Chinglish" I have ever come across. Fair enough, I would make an equal hash of trying to translate something to Mandarin.

Has anyone got one of these controllers and worked out how to program them? Could you explain what is what please? Installing is pretty self explanatory, but what the buttons do and how to set them up is not.

Jen

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies

Some examples of the instructions we are trying to deal with. Just the highlights. All spelling and punctuation copied exactly. These are the ones we can sort of understand:

1 Ready Qi installation tools and materials, and cable. Please matching suitable cable

2 ensure that the current density<4A/mm2 This will help reduce line pressure drop.Check the installation site meets the relevant safety requirements, avoid damp, dusty,flammable,explosive and corrosive gases

4As shown on the right wiring sequence: load, battery, solar Battery plate is connected to the controller to be taken that the load, battery,The polarity of the solar cell panel and controller

And these are some of the ones we can't

Evening 88H Load output state is set: Set to 00H said that under the light control mode,after dark (dusk) open load; after dawn (Dawn) load to stop working

Interval 88H An interval of time setting (set this time Dawn to Evening to stop working load time) Set to 00H indicates Evening to Dawn without the interval or intervals of 0H Set to 01H to 24H represents Evening to Dawn stopping power load time (corresponding to the numbers indicate the length of time delay)

Any details for manufacturer, model number?  Maybe we can source a better translation or even find the Chinese original and translate that.

任何製造商的詳細信息,型號?也許我們可以找到一個更好的翻譯,甚至找到中文原件,並翻譯。

Sorry, I spent half-an-hour looking on Google and can't find any better instructions.  But unless you wish the load to disconnect after sunset the default settings will probably be fine.  If it's only connected to the battery then the load settings don't matter.

4 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Two of my boating neighbours have bought these cheap Chinese solar controllers. They are marketed as MPPT, but actually are PWM with three different charging strategies for different times of day, so more of a pseudo MPPT. They are considerably cheaper than real MPPT controllers.

We have installed them OK, but can't work out how to program them for setting time and cut off points for different charging strategies. The "English" instructions look to have been run through a translation program from Chinese by someone completely unfamiliar with English and possibly Mandarin too, so it uses terms like "flow pressure" for voltage and weird sentence structures. They have defeated us. This is the worst example of "Chinglish" I have ever come across. Fair enough, I would make an equal hash of trying to translate something to Mandarin.

Has anyone got one of these controllers and worked out how to program them? Could you explain what is what please? Installing is pretty self explanatory, but what the buttons do and how to set them up is not.

Jen

Yout need a dictionary that translates Chinglish into English. :)

54 minutes ago, mross said:

What did you pay for this fine piece of kit?  (If you don't mind my asking) :D

I didn't. See first post. Two boating neighbours have both bought them within the last month and they asked for help in installing them. I've got an old Morningstar MPPT controller that is still chugging along. Proper MPPT and cost a bit more.

11 minutes ago, philjw said:

The price is in the ebay link in the first line of the original post.

I wasn't asking you - why do you have to be such a smartarse?  I know what it costs.  But what they paid is a different question.  It's $19 in the States.

Edited by mross
  • Unimpressed 1

4 minutes ago, philjw said:

Where did that come from?  I made a genuine attempt  to answer what appeared to be a genuine question. The link was easily missed.

Mross is going through an identity crisis currently. In  the last 24 hrs he has changed from a bearded man, to a blue faced goblin to a horse. 

9 hours ago, philjw said:

Where did that come from?  I made a genuine attempt  to answer what appeared to be a genuine question. The link was easily missed.

It's easy to find the price on the internet.  I found your comment a bit patronising,  But I must have been especially irritable yesterday!  :D  Sorry.