continuosly cruising....how far are you suppose to go..

katty45

Featured Posts

5 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Apparently if you moor ( not just CC'ERS but proper boaters too) on a Long term mooring site for ......1 second or more, you are overstaying and will be given a £150 overstay charge.!!!!!!

Look stop saying stuff like this, that nice Mr Athy is bound to get the wrong end of the wrong stick and add it to his half-cocked misinformation posts on the subject.

• Greenie 1

11 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Many people come on the forum and ask questions. It is usual to like the reply that suits you the most and dislike the ones you don't like even if the ones you don't like may well be more realistic to your specific set of circumstances

Oh, hang on, I've just "liked" your post, what does that mean?

Hi Katty
I'd say in theory it is perfectly possible to cc the network around Nottingham but you'd need a car. You do only really have to cover a range of not much more than 20 miles (at the moment). But It depends how far you want to drive each day. Probably the parts of the Trent and Mersey and Soar closest to notts and maybe the Erewash and then the Nottingham canal would be enough. It was a city I had identified as a possible place I could work whilst still ccing (if my work in London dries up). But as to handling a family whilst managing the boat ...i can't offer any advice on this. Good luck with whatever you decide.

4 minutes ago, Dave123 said:

Hi Katty
I'd say in theory it is perfectly possible to cc the network around Nottingham but you'd need a car. You do only really have to cover a range of not much more than 20 miles (at the moment). But It depends how far you want to drive each day. Probably the parts of the Trent and Mersey and Soar closest to notts and maybe the Erewash and then the Nottingham canal would be enough. It was a city I had identified as a possible place I could work whilst still ccing (if my work in London dries up). But as to handling a family whilst managing the boat ...i can't offer any advice on this. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Being  a fat-boat will limit the usability of the T&M.

BoT would be the furthest West a fatty could go.

15 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Being  a fat-boat will limit the usability of the T&M.

BoT would be the furthest West a fatty could go.

Stenson  is the farest a widebeam can go and its not realy made for them. Even if I had done it on my widebeam I wouldn't admit to it.

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

Stenson  is the farest a widebeam can go and its not realy made for them. Even if I had done it on my widebeam I wouldn't admit to it.

Stenson Lock is 'rated' at 13'6".

It is only about 3 miles from Stenson Lock to BoT and, you can get a 'fatty' all the way to BoT.

The Stanfords maps show the canal as 'wide' all the way into BoT with Dallow Lane Lock being the first of the 'narrow locks'.

I was working on the principle that a non-boater would probably not know where Dallow lane Lock was but being based in Ilkeston may well know where BoT is.

8 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I'll stop posting comments like that if you stop posting incorrect and misleading information. 

Deal?

Sure and you drive a hard bargain, so you do.

Much of what I posted has been correct and, I hope, helpful; all of us make a mistake from time to time.

15 hours ago, dmr said:

You can most likely stay for much longer than 14 days in many more remote places because CaRT just do not patrol them.

On reflection, I wonder if this is sound advice for the O.P., as it portrays what you can get away with rather than what you're allowed to do. You wouldn't, I'm sure, advise people to drive at 80 m.p.h. along a road: they might get a way with it for a while, but when they're caught the penalty will be severe and their action may lead to their being suspended from the wheel. 

6 minutes ago, WotEver said:

I keep reading the title of this thread and fighting the urge to reply “You’re supposed to cruise... continuously”

Oh drat, now I’ve gone and done it. 

There used to be a thread titled "alternative funny thread title suggestions" or something similar.Perhaps you need to resurrect it?

Well, I was close

Edited by rusty69

11 hours ago, Dave123 said:

Hi Katty

It is worth point out to Katty that the local enforcement in that area is very keen. You are highly unlikely to get away with continual overstaying in the Nottingham area.

21 hours ago, mayalld said:

Shuffling means moving back and forth amongst a small number of mooring sites, so as to remain in the same general area

I've seen this usage before, and it seems an odd one to me. Sure, shuffling entails slow movement, which is how narrowboats progress anyway. But surely "shuttle" would be a more appropriate term.

4 minutes ago, Athy said:

I've seen this usage before, and it seems an odd one to me. Sure, shuffling entails slow movement, which is how narrowboats progress anyway. But surely "shuttle" would be a more appropriate term.

I think the CRT author was imagining the way the cards in a pack always stay in the same general area when shuffled. 

6 minutes ago, Athy said:

Shuffling is indeed slow movement, dragging ones feet.

The implication is that shuffling is about going more slowly that the norm.

Boating may be at a slow place, but towpath shuffling is all about making even less progress!

43 minutes ago, WotEver said:

I keep reading the title of this thread and fighting the urge to reply “You’re supposed to cruise... continuously”

Oh drat, now I’ve gone and done it. 

Not very informative though is it? It can't mean literally move continuously as that isn't reasonable. Anyway it's the law that matters and there is no mention of continuous cruising in law.

The requirement is to not to be in the same place for more than 14 days and to use the boat bona fide for navigation. It would be great if a newbie came on and instead of asking "what do I have to do to satisfy CRT?" actually said "I understand the law and my reasonable interpretation leads me to conclude I have a duty as a citizen to cruise as follows...". My point on another related thread was that sometimes it pays to step back from the goldfish bowl that is canals and look at the bigger principles in play.

JP

10 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

You move it to the left, yeah
You go for yourself
You move it to the right
Yeah if it takes all night

Now take it kinda slow
With a whole lot of soul
Don't move it too fast
Just make it last

The Harlem Shuttle?