continuosly cruising....how far are you suppose to go..

katty45

Featured Posts

Just now, cuthound said:

Because they "own" the track?

No they don't!

They may like to think they do (and they may like you to think they do) but they are bound by the same laws as the rest of us.

They are wrong to suggest that it is not possible to CC and work full time...I did it for years with not a murmur from the navigation authority at the time.

It has been proven time and time again that they say what they would like to be fact, not what is actual fact.

5 minutes ago, Dave Payne said:

Interesting thread....

If i pay £25 can i stay in the same place for weeks.

If there is a sign up making this offer, then yes you can. 

It's usually £25 per day you realise presumably, not £25 once and for all. 

1 hour ago, Athy said:

So, Katty, between us we've forged through the jungle of CART regulations and come up with this:

- Unless there is a sign saying otherwise, you can moor for up to 14 days in one place.

- If there is a sign restricting mooring to a shorter time period (48 hours is the most common, often at popular tourist spots), then do not moor for longer than the sign tells you.

- Do not ever* moor in the same place continuously for more than 14 days, or CART may take action against you, which may ultimately result in your being refused a new licence, and you need to have your boat licensed to moor or travel on their waterways.

- At the end of 14 days you must move your boat to a new "place" - which, as you'll have gathered, is open to interpretation.

Here again there are exceptions, for example if (Heaven forbid) you break your leg and can't reasonably move the boat. I think I'm right in saying that in such circumstances you should let CART know as soon as is practically possible.

I have to ask, how long have you been boating?

7 minutes ago, Dave Payne said:

I have to ask, how long have you been boating?

Quite a while, thank you, and you? Why do you have to? (I don't mind, I'm just wondering).

Edited by Athy

14 minutes ago, Dave Payne said:

Interesting thread....

But NOT if your a continuous cruiser because the 14 days is just about the only real proper law...unless of course paying £25 IS a reasonable reason to stay longer, and I strongly suspect that it is. :D

..............Dave

2 minutes ago, dmr said:

But NOT if your a continuous cruiser because the 14 days is just about the only real proper law...unless of course paying £25 IS a reasonable reason to stay longer, and I strongly suspect that it is. :D

..............Dave

And by extension, I was wondering if a CCer who received an invoice for, say £350 for an extra 14 days on a nice VM but failed to pay it might be recorded as being an overstayer, whilst another CCer who does the same and pays up, might not. 

1 hour ago, Athy said:

So, Katty, between us we've forged through the jungle of CART regulations and come up with this:

- Unless there is a sign saying otherwise, you can moor for up to 14 days in one place.

- If there is a sign restricting mooring to a shorter time period (48 hours is the most common, often at popular tourist spots), then do not moor for longer than the sign tells you.

- Do not ever* moor in the same place continuously for more than 14 days, or CART may take action against you, which may ultimately result in your being refused a new licence, and you need to have your boat licensed to moor or travel on their waterways.

- At the end of 14 days you must move your boat to a new "place" - which, as you'll have gathered, is open to interpretation.

Here again there are exceptions, for example if (Heaven forbid) you break your leg and can't reasonably move the boat. I think I'm right in saying that in such circumstances you should let CART know as soon as is practically possible.

But in reality this * is not the case.

You can most likely stay for much longer than 14 days in many more remote places because CaRT just do not patrol them. In some places you could get away with months or even years, especially on a river. There's only loads of fuss because most over-stayers choose to stay in the high profile "honeyspots".

CaRT really don't want the hassle and expense of lifting your boat out so you can play them along for a fair while, get lots of warnings and only move at the very last moment before things get really bad, though its best not to do this in your first year. Thing is, boating is supposed to be a relaxed and fun way of life and playing cat and mouse with CaRT might just spoil that.

............Dave

• Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

And by extension, I was wondering if a CCer who received an invoice for, say £350 for an extra 14 days on a nice VM but failed to pay it might be recorded as being an overstayer, whilst another CCer who does the same and pays up, might not. 

I have said that I would never pay these charges/fines if I was ever asked for them, and I quite often overstay on VMs if its quiet and I am not likely to inconvenience anybody else. But I now realise that I have actually paid them without question,....CaRT recently reduced the free stay time in Liverpool from 14 to 7 days and twice we have paid £20/night for a few extra nights. I suppose they are providing a pontoon, water and 'leccy which makes it a bit different.

..............Dave

6 hours ago, p6rob said:

I have a full time non boat based job and manage to CC and get to my office without many dramas. Previously I completed a couple of laps of the Warwickshire Ring but now I no longer work in Coventry, I've reduced the route around work in Birmingham.

Where I moor (West Midlands, between Birmingham and Lapworth) there is a niceish circular route which is about 21 miles. It is quite lock heavy in sections and I tend to always stop in the same spots en-route. It takes 10 weeks before I return to any of my previous stops. When I get bored of doing the same route, I tend to spend a month in Birmingham on a winter mooring, then reverse the route. I tend to moor off the VMs where possible and don't mind a bit of a walk, so have always managed to find a spot. Not sure what your cruising area is like though.

So far, the only time I appeared on C&RT's watch list was nearly three years ago when I was moored in Sherborne Wharf. It was only supposed to be temporary, while I dealt with a bereavement, so didn't notify C&RT that I was no longer CCing, however, it ended up as a six month stay and because I hadn't been 'sighted', they said I could only have a six month licence at renewal time. It was all sorted by a couple of phone calls and I have always been 'allowed' a normal 12 month licence since.

To answer your question; the rules are thankfully deliberately vague but reading C&RT's paperwork, I think the very basic minimum requirement is to not stay anywhere for longer than two weeks at a time and not return within 28 days and cover 20 miles per year. Therefore to comply with the absolute minimum requirement (as I currently understand it), you need to find four stopping points about five miles apart. When you get to the fourth, return to the first and start again.

Rob

thank you..prob best answer yet

37 minutes ago, dmr said:

..............Dave

On the other hand, the erstwhile continuous cruiser is now paying for a mooring .... :icecream:

2 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Ah but it's not a home mooring that will be available for  use at any time is it? 

It's being used, so it must be available. Once the boater leaves, he/she can revert to "continuous cruising".  There's no difference in the licence.

Just now, Iain_S said:

On the other hand, the erstwhile continuous cruiser is now paying for a mooring .... :icecream:

So, if I visit the same spot twice a year and pay £25 for a night is that really a home mooring? If its not a popular spot then it is somewhere where I can reasonably leave my boat whenever I want.

When we had a home mooring we used to go on a big cruise in the summer and the marina owner would sub let our spot to visiting boats if they could and give us some of that money, so for a period that mooring was not available for our use...was it still a home mooring????

Its all so complicated, its enough to drive a man to drink, good job that I am moored Right outside a good pub.

.............Dave

1 hour ago, Dave Payne said:

Interesting thread....

56 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

If there is a sign up making this offer, then yes you can. 

It's usually £25 per day you realise presumably, not £25 once and for all. 

No you can't.......................

I give up!

6 hours ago, p6rob said:

I think the very basic minimum requirement is to not stay anywhere for longer than two weeks at a time and not return within 28 days and cover 20 miles per year.

This is however, wrong by my understanding. Although it depends what you mean by this highlighted term (which is not what CRT say).

CRT require cruising throughout the year over a range of 20 miles  or more.  Subtly different words from yours and a world apart from having to cruise a distance of only 20 miles per year, just the once. 

2 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

No you can't.......................

I give up!

Why are the signs there then if you can't take them up on their kind offer?

36 minutes ago, dmr said:

But in reality this * is not the case.

You can most likely stay for much longer than 14 days in many more remote places because CaRT just do not patrol them.

You have correctly spotted the difference between "can" (be physically able to) and "may" (being permitted to). I was using "can" rather loosely in the sense of "may". Have a greeno!

6 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Why are the signs there then if you can't take them up on their kind offer?

OK, I'll backtrack slughtly.

Dave said "for weeks", and I interpreted it as "several or lots of weeks" - but provided weeks meant "2 weeks and not a day more", then I suppose you can.  As they are typically on 2 day moorings, it would cost you three hundred quid for just those additional 12 days though................  (Probably only affordable if you repair gas boilers!)

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

This is however, wrong by my understanding. Although it depends what you mean by this highlighted term (which is not what CRT say).

CRT require cruising throughout the year over a range of 20 miles  or more.  Subtly different words from yours and a world apart from having to cruise a distance of only 20 miles per year, just the once. 

To be fair to the OP I would say that 30 miles would be safer and it is the Range, not distance, and that just 4 mooring spots is sailing close to the wind.

Also this bloke on the omnibus might well say this is woefully inadequate. I think CaRT do not say that this is adequate to be bone fide, just that at present they are unlikely to take action over this cruising pattern. If congestion continues to worsen at some locations then this guidance might well change in future.

Actually I think the distance is not so much 20 miles or 30 miles but a distance that just exceeds that distance between Bath and the bottom of Devizes flight. :D

.............Dave

7 hours ago, katty45 said:

whats the rules on continuosly cruising?. im hoping to be in the notts area for my sons school which is in Ilkeston so will be around the trent area...im eventually hoping for a residential mooring but just wondering what the cc situation is..thanks

The problem with asking a question like this is that it suggests that your intention is to do the very minimum of boating which keeps CRT off your back, which many people would regard as demonstrating your intention not to follow the spirit of "continuously cruising" (the letter of CCing being undefined and undefinable).

Yes you can CC and hold down a regular job/have kids in a regular school etc. But to do so  you really need to range over a wide area, and that will be hard work especially for a single adult responsible for a wide boat and a child. You will spend a lot more time than a bricks-and-mortar dweller (or indeed a marina dweller) moving the boat, coping with a lack of mains electricity, water and drainage, lugging bags of coal and gas bottles etc. You may well find yourself exhausted by all this after a few months. And at the end of the day it will be little if any cheaper than living on the land.   

If you don't have a burning desire to boat for boating's sake, this is unlikely to be the lifestyle for you.

• Greenie 3

7 hours ago, katty45 said:

on their website it says no shuffling...wonder what shuffling means then...

I don't actually know, but I suspect every Saturday , perhaps in London, or other crowded areas, that folks don't just throw caution to the winds and cruise about  for hours hoping to find a decent mooring, instead they pre-arrange with another cc to swap moorings, this will probably work quite often. So there is an analogy with shuffling a deck of cards.

7 hours ago, Athy said:

So their threats of a £25 per day fine for people who overstay are just talk, then? 

That is for staying on a signed place for more than the signed time, CCERS do NOT get fined for not moving far enough, the process I stated is started. 

1 hour ago, katty45 said:

thank you..prob best answer yet

Many people come on the forum and ask questions. It is usual to like the reply that suits you the most and dislike the ones you don't like even if the ones you don't like may well be more realistic to your specific set of circumstances. Do you intend to move to that particular area to comply with that cruising pattern? I know the area you intend to cc in very very well and yes it could be done but lots of river work involved otherwise commuting into Nottingham from further afield and that is horrendous believe you me. Its nearly as bad as living in a house!!

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Apparently if you moor ( not just CC'ERS but proper boaters too) on a Long term mooring site for ......1 second or more, you are overstaying and will be given a £150 overstay charge.!!!!!!