Post / Royal Mail on a Canal Boat

Timothy Jones

Featured Posts

Hi Everyone,

i hope you are all doing well. I am just looking for a little support and assistance for a little project I am starting and know you are all very friendly. 

I was recently involved in a project / business which provided mail forwarding services to canal boat operators and have recently been thinking I could offer a much better, tailored and ultimately cheaper service. I am looking at conducting some market research and wondered if people could answer the following questions: (all feedback is useful so please be honest, your answers will help shape the proposition, and make improvements)

1. What do people living on canal boats currently do about their mail and registration of official documents i.e driving licences
  2. Does anyone use a mail forwarding business and what do you think about them i.e what should they stop doing, start doing and carry on doing
  3. Can anyone think of a service or offering which they would like to see in this area
  4. Lastly, I would like to sign up the first 10 users of the mail forwarding for free of charge as beta testers so that I can set up the project and test and learn - please do contact me and I can message / call you to get things set up.

if you feel I have missed anything please do let me know.

Thank you in advance. 

Tim 

Welcome to the forum.

There are several such services available to boaters. One example is Boatmail. They can be found in the classified sections of boating magazines and towpath talk or the

They might be a good place to start to see what the 'competition' are offering.

Ken

Edited by NB Ellisiana

When i looked at boat forwarding services i found them very expensive and so use a friends address .Wherever possible i have gone paperless .I think email is the way forward for lots of companies and the government departments .

Back in the 1980s a very kind postie walked down to our boat at the shovel in Uxbridge and gave us a letter marked Clearwater grand Union canal Uxbridge. ( Christmas card) was weeks after posting and we had been away, from one of our frequented spots at the shovel... Highly unofficial and unreliable but funny . Those were the days of the phone box at the pub or down the yiewsley road for any contact, or chalking the gates...

Yes we also had a christmas card, 2005,  delivered by a very bemused postie , addressed n.b Greyfisher above the lock , on the winter moorings on the Kennet and Avon at Kintbury. Apart from that we use my mothers address .Bunny . 

• 3 weeks later...
On 21/11/2017 at 12:19, b0atman said:

When i looked at boat forwarding services i found them very expensive and so use a friends address .Wherever possible i have gone paperless .I think email is the way forward for lots of companies and the government departments .

The more difficult problem for real CCers is coming up with a postal address for things where ID checking is applied such as opening a bank account or applying for a loan. Car insurance can be a headache too. And possibly driving licence.  

I very much doubt any of these will accept just an email address.