List of Woolwich built GUCC Boats

Ray T

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Derek R. said:

Well, for all that, the website as a whole has some fascinating history of the company and the men and women who worked there. You could easy spend an hour or more just reading the names of the Island men & women - and the Nicknames!

Great idea but when facts are wrong or lifted the rest of the site becomes suspicious. ONCE AGAIN the use of "Town" & "Star" as class names is repeated and yet there is virtually no evidence of the builds being annotated thus. There is no mention either of the craft contract detail, and you would have thought the elusive "Motor boat" magazine review would have been worth including.

14 hours ago, furnessvale said:

Sadly this list repeats the mistakes in "The George and The Mary" with regard to the pairing of the first few "Town" boats.

George

Somewhere, I have a corrected list which Pete Harrison sent me years ago. I don't know whether he has ever published it anywhere.

Edited by David Schweizer

13 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

Somewhere, I have a corrected list which Pete Harrison sent me years ago. I don't know whether he has ever published it anywhere.

It is fairly easy to correct the list.  The early pairings can be brought together by looking at the gauging and registration numbers.

I also had anecdotal evidence from an old boatman, sadly now deceased,  whose father had Alton and Angel from new.

George

20 hours ago, furnessvale said:

Sadly this list repeats the mistakes in "The George and The Mary" with regard to the pairing of the first few "Town" boats.

George

5 hours ago, furnessvale said:

It is fairly easy to correct the list.  The early pairings can be brought together by looking at the gauging and registration numbers.

I also had anecdotal evidence from an old boatman, sadly now deceased,  whose father had Alton and Angel from new.

George

There is a distinct difference between intended pairings and actual pairings, especially when so many of the later boats came from different builders.

Personally I would say it is hazardous to use the sequencing of gauging and health registrations to confirm G.U.C.C.Co. Ltd. initial pairings, but these may provide an indication. There is little doubt that many of these later boats were layed up following delivery and their final commissioning into the fleet could have been quite random. The exception to the first sentence of this paragraph would be the sixteen G.U.C.C.Co. Ltd. boats health registered at Coventry in late 1936 / 1937 where these boats were near to the Coalfields so suggesting they were in service - the only anomaly being is that eleven were motors (but it does capture ALTON and ANGEL as being health registered on the same day - but i do not have the inspection date for these boats which would be the clincher) :captain: