Battery Fault

jddevel

Featured Posts

It seems that this is a twin alternator boat and in an ideal world one of the alternators, often the domestic one, has its warning lamp energised by a relay fed from the ignition "on" position.  So the first thing to do is to see if:

1. the second alternator warning lamp is fed from a relay.

2. which alternator it is.

On the face of it the fact the engine battery master switch stopping the buzz  would indicate:

1. It really is the an engine alternator warning

2. You have the master switches confused.

3. The switch may be in the negative and the system is incorrectly wired.

4. For some reason the relay contacts are fed from the engine battery rather than the battery who's alternator it is energising.

Personally I would try to locate the relay (possibly under the instrument panel) and try swapping it for a new one, they do not cost much but just make sure the picture on the new relay matched the one on the old one or the terminal number on both relays are the same and in the same place.

One of your battery lights? On a single alternator system?

First thought is a blown +ve diode, second thought is that you evidently have the alternator connected to the engine battery where connection to the domestic is better, third thought is that if 70A was enough before the failure, it will be enough after the repair.

No, I did not sorry. Still the advice I gave to IanMC hold good for him and as for Jddevel I await more info. What I said to him may or may not be good advice.

I wish people would not confuse the issues in this way. All it will take is starting the post by something like "I have another problem and it seem this is a good pace to ask about it" if the post has to go into the topic. Better still start another one because that keeps all the info for ONE problem in one place and runs no risk of confusing the issue.

56 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

I wish people would not confuse the issues in this way. All it will take is starting the post by something like "I have another problem and it seem this is a good pace to ask about it" if the post has to go into the topic. Better still start another one because that keeps all the info for ONE problem in one place and runs no risk of confusing the issue.

Very much agree. 

The mods might split this thread into two if we ask them nicely...

Electrician sorted it. Faulty relay plus battery monitor needed re-calibrating apparently although they fitted it so not sure what they meant. I was not at the boat but on the road driving unable to discuss in detail however thanks to all for input.

On 20/11/2017 at 17:32, dmr said:

I suspect its a relay that has failed.

On 20/11/2017 at 19:14, Tony Brooks said:

Personally I would try to locate the relay (possibly under the instrument panel) and try swapping it for a new one

4 minutes ago, jddevel said:

Electrician sorted it. Faulty relay

Result :)

On 22/11/2017 at 20:39, jddevel said:

plus battery monitor needed re-calibrating apparently

This seems to be an emerging problem with battery monitors. Which make and model of battery monitor is yours please?

Edited by Mike the Boilerman
  • Happy 1

Just now, ditchcrawler said:

I am guessing one where you put the capacity of what you think your batteries are in and then it counts up and down to tell you what percentage full they are.

C'mon, you know Mike is looking for another name for his list:)

On 23/11/2017 at 08:47, jddevel said:

Victron BMV 702

Thanks! Same model as mine. Interesting as calibration of mine was spot on when I checked it a few months ago using a reference-checked DVM.

I wonder what your chap meant by 'calibration' then. I don't think the BMV702 can be re-calibrated.

7 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Thanks! Same model as mine. Interesting as calibration of mine was spot on when I checked it a few months ago using a reference-checked DVM.

I wonder what your chap meant by 'calibration' then. I don't think the BMV702 can be re-calibrated.

So what do you set your battery capacity to, what they were when new or what they are now?

8 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Probably means manually setting the capacity in the meter to the actual capacity of the batteries. Yes, I know it’s amazing that you have to do that with some meters!

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Probably means manually setting the capacity in the meter to the actual capacity of the batteries. Yes, I know it’s amazing that you have to do that with some meters!

And now that it’s been ‘recalibrated’ it should be reasonably useful for, oh I dunno, a week or so?