Most Navigation Authorities in one day?

Dave123

Featured Posts

Sorry if this has been done before, couldn't see it when searching. But it has just occurred to me that when we went to the Basingstoke canal from Brentford earlier this year we travelled on the waters of 5 different navigation authorities in one day. CRT, PLA, EA then the River Wey and the Basingstoke canal (mooring below the first lock). Was just wondering if there is anywhere else in the UK this is possible? Or what the next closest number is? 

51 minutes ago, Horace42 said:

Don't know the answer, but curious about how many licenses that required ?

1. CRT
  2. EA (Wey Transit Licence)
  3. National Trust (Transit Licence)
  4. Basingstoke Canal Authority

No licence required for the PLA Brentford to Teddington

Yep. What is nice is that both the EA and the Wey have Basingstoke transit licences (both £10 I think) much cheaper than standard 24h visitor licences. And the Basingstoke is cheap I think - at only £40 - half the price of the Wey for a week and almost twice the locks and miles!

12 hours ago, matty40s said:

A couple of years ago I did 8 rivers in one month(March)....several of which were in flood. Wey, Thames ( red boards ),Gade ...cheating a bit on the G U ( but it was in flood), Tove, Trent, Soar, Nene , Great Ouse.

Wouldn't you have done the Coln and Bulbourne too (technically) if you were on the Gade? Thats my route this winter, hopefully those ones aren't too bad in flood?

16 hours ago, Dave123 said:

Yep. What is nice is that both the EA and the Wey have Basingstoke transit licences (both £10 I think) much cheaper than standard 24h visitor licences. And the Basingstoke is cheap I think - at only £40 - half the price of the Wey for a week and almost twice the locks and miles!

But there are restriction on Basingstoke usage (certain flights of locks on prescribed days but I understand why) whereas the Wey is open all (well apart from after Civil sunset and before Civil sunrise and the usual stoppages) the time.

Brentford to Teddington also requires your boat to have three separate identities. On the GU you are identified by your CaRT Index Number. On the tideway you are known by your SSR Number (assuming you have registered one, nobody ever looks for one up there) and on the Thames you are known by your boat name. 

Edited by WJM

29 minutes ago, WJM said:

Brentford to Teddington also requires your boat to have three separate identities. On the GU you are identified by your CaRT Index Number. On the tideway you are known by your SSR Number (assuming you have registered one, nobody ever looks for one up there) and on the Thames you are known by your boat name. 

I have wondered about this before.  On CRT waterways the boat name does not need to be unique as officially the boat is identified by it's index number.  On EA waterways (well the Thames at least) the boat's name must be unique so you see suffixes like II, III, IV etc to make them unique.  When you get a Thames visitor licence I believed that the licence number in big letters/number of the licence served as your unique name.  But what happens if you get a gold licence, does the CRT licence number become the name for the EA purposes, or does the boat need to meet the EA requirement of a unique name?

7 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

The EA says its your boat name followed by the CaRT registration number. However the navigation inspectors and lock keepers seem to observe that by default.

I seem to recall that the EA people always write down both the name and the CaRT number.

Because I regularly use the tideway and have a fixed VHF radio I registered my narrowboat onto the SSR, Small Ships Register. Given that most people use a mobile VHF these days, is an SSR registration necessary anymore?

14 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

The EA says its your boat name followed by the CaRT registration number. However the navigation inspectors and lock keepers seem to observe that by default.

That makes sense, thanks.

4 minutes ago, WJM said:

I seem to recall that the EA people always write down both the name and the CaRT number.

Because I regularly use the tideway and have a fixed VHF radio I registered my narrowboat onto the SSR, Small Ships Register. Given that most people use a mobile VHF these days, is an SSR registration necessary anymore?

You do not need and SSR number to register a fixed VHF do you?  You would get an MMSI number (it you wanted one)  and the vessel would be issued with an internationally recognised call sign, when you register the radio.    Handheld VHF is a standalone licence to tied to any vessel, the call sign you are issued is specific to the handheld not a vessel.

13 minutes ago, john6767 said:

You do not need and SSR number to register a fixed VHF do you?  You would get an MMSI number (it you wanted one)  and the vessel would be issued with an internationally recognised call sign, when you register the radio.    Handheld VHF is a standalone licence to tied to any vessel, the call sign you are issued is specific to the handheld not a vessel.

I set it up years ago - it may all have changed since. In all the years since nobody has ever asked for my documents. 

That said, unless you have actually done the VHF course you would have absolutely no idea how to use a radio properly. And having done the course one would hope you got the license!

45 minutes ago, WJM said:

I set it up years ago - it may all have changed since. In all the years since nobody has ever asked for my documents. 

That said, unless you have actually done the VHF course you would have absolutely no idea how to use a radio properly. And having done the course one would hope you got the license!

I have done the course, and got a licence (handheld).  Anyone get get a licence for a set though you just do it on the ofcom web site and it is free, no requirement to have got the operators lcence.