Talking engines

PeterCr

Featured Posts

You say "3 or 4", but have listed 5!

Maths was never my strong point! :)

Yes I had gathered that Beta was a good choice. It's always been a Beta when I've hired, though as a hirer you don't have to consider much about the engine, except for the daily checks. But I'd be happy with a Beta.

Of course buying second hand you can't just look for a boat with a Beta, it's hard enough finding a boat to buy without limiting it to one motor. And by later model I mean roughly the last 10 years, that's where we're looking.

I have seen a couple of boats I'd consider, one with a Shanks and the other a Vetus M4.17. I was just going to ask about those 2 but thought I may as well cover some other more modern engines at the same time. I've tried researching but figure there's so much more experience here than I could possibly achieve by a bit of internet research. I did read that the Vetus requires an oil change at 100 hours, seems a little soon to me.

You don't mention gearboxes. 

Good point. The boat with the vetus has a TMC60 and I tried researching that a little too but didn't find out a whole lot except that they clunk a lot, which seems normal. I'd be happy with a PRM150, better than the PRM120 from what I've read.

A consequence is that oil may have been neglected by a previous owner and the engine more worn.

The boat that appeals the most at the moment has that exact, potential, problem. For engine hours it says the counter is broken. It's a 2011 boat. But a broken counter suggests to me that perhaps it's done a lot of hours and they are disguising that. If not why didn't they fix the counter. And how did they judge the service intervals. If it were not for that I'd think of flying over there to take a look, but that worries me. Also last engine service is blank.

21 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

My Lister was oil change every 100 hours.

When out cruising that meant an oil change every month, it took less time to do than boil the kettle, so whilst SWMBO was making breakfast I'd do the oil change.

Its all about being prepared.

16 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Ours was an LPWS4 (and I still have a complete spare engine, parts, manuals & PRM gearbox in my shed)

It only takes 10 minutes to warm the oil and 20 minutes to do the oil and filter change so I never saw it as a big problem.

How big was your kettle?

7 hours ago, PeterCr said:

Maths was never my strong point! :)

Yes I had gathered that Beta was a good choice. It's always been a Beta when I've hired, though as a hirer you don't have to consider much about the engine, except for the daily checks. But I'd be happy with a Beta.

Of course buying second hand you can't just look for a boat with a Beta, it's hard enough finding a boat to buy without limiting it to one motor. And by later model I mean roughly the last 10 years, that's where we're looking.

I have seen a couple of boats I'd consider, one with a Shanks and the other a Vetus M4.17. I was just going to ask about those 2 but thought I may as well cover some other more modern engines at the same time. I've tried researching but figure there's so much more experience here than I could possibly achieve by a bit of internet research. I did read that the Vetus requires an oil change at 100 hours, seems a little soon to me.

Good point. The boat with the vetus has a TMC60 and I tried researching that a little too but didn't find out a whole lot except that they clunk a lot, which seems normal. I'd be happy with a PRM150, better than the PRM120 from what I've read.

The boat that appeals the most at the moment has that exact, potential, problem. For engine hours it says the counter is broken. It's a 2011 boat. But a broken counter suggests to me that perhaps it's done a lot of hours and they are disguising that. If not why didn't they fix the counter. And how did they judge the service intervals. If it were not for that I'd think of flying over there to take a look, but that worries me. Also last engine service is blank.

The LCD displays in hour counters are well known to fail.

When we bought our boat at 5 years old it had failed. We had a new one fitted as part of the deal when buying the boat and that failed again within two years. We have now had the boat for nine years. The LCD display occasionally works and shows us the hours so it is still counting. We keep a log of each trip however small so know how many hours we have travelled and service the engine as and when necessary.

At 100 hour intervals and with the price of Volvo Penta parts this doesn't work out a cheap job!

The hour meter on my Barrus Shire control panel rev counter doesn't work either, except very, very occasionally on very hot days! Can't recall it displaying at all this year but it has in the past so I do know total hours since new. I have subsequently fitted an independent hour meter so that I can be sure of servicing needs etc. 

18 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Go on then, it's getting close to Christmas...

What's a Grecian Urn?

Half-a-crown a week, AND he doesn't pay any tax !!

Clearing the Greek debt:

It's a slow day in some little town........
The sun is hot....the streets are deserted.
Times are tough, everybody is in debt, and everybody lives on credit.

On this particular day a rich tourist from back west is driving thru town.
He stops at the motel and lays a $100 bill on the desk saying he wants to inspect the rooms upstairs in order to pick one to spend the night.
As soon as the man walks upstairs, the owner grabs the bill and runs next door to pay his debt to the butcher.
The butcher takes the $100 and runs down the street to retire his debt to the pig farmer.
The pig farmer takes the $100 and heads off to pay his bill at the feed store.

The guy at the Farmer's Co-op takes the $100 and runs to pay his debt to the local prostitute, who has also been facing hard times and has had to offer her services on credit.
She, in a flash rushes to the motel and pays off her room bill with the motel owner.
The motel proprietor now places the $100 back on the counter so the rich traveler will not suspect anything.

At that moment the traveler comes down the stairs, picks up the $100 bill, states that the rooms are not satisfactory, pockets the money & leaves.

NOW,... no one produced anything...and no one earned anything...however the whole town is out of debt and is looking to the future with much optimism.

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Greenie 1

On 11/20/2017 at 09:26, rusty69 said:

I agree. Luckily I was born in the 70's,as a result, the only "Talking engines" I know of are Thomas and Ivor:)

Thomas and his pals were around in the 1950s when I were a wee lad.

5 hours ago, WotEver said:

What's a Grecian Urn?

The utter contempt of Argyle fans.

If it was a Greek, on the other hand, five drachmas an hour.

1 hour ago, Machpoint005 said:

Thomas and his pals were around in the 1950s when I were a wee lad.

No no no... that was Ivor. Ivor the Engine. Over the viaduct. Pish-te-koof, Pish-te-koof, Pish-te-koof...

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, WotEver said:

And although he was never mentioned, Jones the Spy who was hiding in the third carriage. 

Watching on youtube now.Don't forget the dragon

Note to self. Need to get out more

Edited by rusty69

14 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Watching on youtube now.Don't forget the dragon

Note to self. Need to get out more

I’ll make you stay longer...

A fiery horse with the speed of light, a cloud of dust, and a hearty "Hi-yo, Silver, away!

“What you mean ‘we’ white man?”

3 minutes ago, WotEver said:

I’ll make you stay longer...

A fiery horse with the speed of light, a cloud of dust, and a hearty "Hi-yo, Silver, away!

I'm too young.So not sure if its the loan rangers horse or Champion the wonder horse

Edited by rusty69

1 minute ago, rusty69 said:

I'm too young.So not sure if its the loan rangers horse or Champion the wonder horse

Lone Ranger. Champion was simply a sung “Champion, the Wonder Horse”

Youll be too young for this then...

3 minutes ago, WotEver said:

I know the song,as I had a childrens TV tunes LP, and Fireball XL5 was on it. I don't remember the tv series, but do recall Stingray,Captain Scarlet,Thunderbirds, Joe 90 etc

Edited by rusty69

20 minutes ago, WotEver said:

I remember Gerry Andersons predecessor to that, the cowboy puppets of "Four Feather Falls".

I think he recycled the puppets from one puppet series to the next, as the same faces reappeared in different series, right up to "Thunderbirds".

Edited by cuthound
To unmangle the effects of autocorrect.