residential moorings..are they more easily available in the summer

katty45

Featured Posts

hi i may be aquiring a widebeam and im just trying to find out about things. It would be myself and my son &7yrs  (half the week with him)...and so i need to be in the notts area for his school in ilkeston. I would like to get a residential mooring mainly because i will be having an electric piano and studio and he likes to play on his tablet so we prefer electricity but just wondering if the residential moorings eg sawley marina are easier to get in the summer when people are cruising around.?

Just now, ditchcrawler said:

I don't know if this is in the area you want to be, I kept my boat in one of their Kings Bromley Marina for a couple of years and was quite happy http://www.castlemarinas.co.uk/marinas/nottingham

sawley marina /beeston area..thanks

castle marina is good but always thought they were hard to get..waiting list etc

2 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Just contact them and ask

yes im just looking at the options but im still interested if there are more residentials available during summer or if it doesnt seem to be a seasonal thing......basically i may have the option of a boat now or in the summer so im trying to work out the best option.

Just now, katty45 said:

yes im just looking at the options but im still interested if there are more residentials available during summer or if it doesnt seem to be a seasonal thing......basically i may have the option of a boat now or in the summer so im trying to work out the best option.

I would have expected there to be no difference in the time of year, normally if you have a residential mooring you live there year in year out until you sell up or move on, not something you do for a few months.

3 minutes ago, katty45 said:

Most Marinas have less space available in the winter as ccers go in for the umbilicle in the coldest months. There will be more space available generaly between march and November.

Just now, mrsmelly said:

Most Marinas have less space available in the winter as ccers go in for the umbilicle in the coldest months. There will be more space available generaly between march and November.

yes thought so but just checking with the knowledgables

7 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Sawley marina is currently suffering a 'mini-mass' exodus for various reasons, you will have no problem getting a mooring there and should be able to negotiate the price downwards quite easily.

Was that recently? I tried to get a winter mooring in there and they couldn't get me in. Very little space so I went elsewhere.

2 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Was that recently? I tried to get a winter mooring in there and they couldn't get me in. Very little space so I went elsewhere.

Its been happening all this year.

Management, noise, shop never open, etc etc.

Last figures I saw they were at about 60% occupancy - they have been offering all sorts of deal for the last couple of years (such as pay for 10 months get 12 months)

Brother In Law has moved out this year (around the corner to Derby Boat Club moorings)

11 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Its been happening all this year.

Management, noise, shop never open, etc etc.

Last figures I saw they were at about 60% occupancy - they have been offering all sorts of deal for the last couple of years (such as pay for 10 months get 12 months)

Brother In Law has moved out this year (around the corner to Derby Boat Club moorings)

I think it was more the boat length that was a problem. Plenty of room for shorter offerings but not for whole boats. I moored there a few years ago and it was fine, its the handiness to the m1 I wanted primarily.

41 minutes ago, ianali said:

The marina we are in this winter seems to have lots of available space. Also friends I speak with say there Marinas are not full either. I'm wondering if the new marinas that have recently opened are starting to effect the supply chain. 

I would think very much so. When we became liveaboards practicaly non of the marinas used now had been built. For instance the realy new ones like Mercia and many many more simply didn't exist and as the hobby sector grew so came the marinas that's why moorings are still cheap in many areas such as on the T and M.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/20/2017 at 09:11, mrsmelly said:

I would think very much so. When we became liveaboards practicaly non of the marinas used now had been built. For instance the realy new ones like Mercia and many many more simply didn't exist and as the hobby sector grew so came the marinas that's why moorings are still cheap in many areas such as on the T and M.

A cheap marina mooring where? please tell.  Some don't want your soul as well as your limbs, but cheap no way.

10 hours ago, Detling said:

A cheap marina mooring where? please tell.  Some don't want your soul as well as your limbs, but cheap no way.

There are many places were for a full size narrowboat even with full facilities its only about 3k a year and for shorter ones considerably less. The one I am wintering in which has more stuff going on than some small towns and is very well kept is less than 3k for 70 foot only just over 2k for a fifty footer. I suppose it depends on your outlook on life for instance someone could rent a squalid flat in some horrific part of London smaller than a narrowbat for about 15k a year? so for living aboard its very cheap. As a hobby then obviously you choose a hobby your personal income can afford and if that's a very expensive hobby such as boat ownership then 3k isn't a lot, if the income is less then kite flying may cost less per annum. Moorings were not cheap thirty years ago and for a time got more expensive but today after the boom of new marinas then I think they are good value.