Project Boat: Interior Hull + Interior Refit

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, IsabelleSAllen said:

and no work was needed on hull to pass

Can you explain what you mean "to pass"?

There is no 'pass or fail' with a survey, the survey purely gives you a list of things that need action/repair, you then decide if the boat is worth the purchase price and cost of  correcting  all  of the faults.- it is not like an MOT where you get a certificate saying 'passed' or 'safe'.

38 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Can you explain what you mean "to pass"?

There is no 'pass or fail' with a survey, the survey purely gives you a list of things that need action/repair, you then decide if the boat is worth the purchase price and cost of  correcting  all  of the faults.- it is not like an MOT where you get a certificate saying 'passed' or 'safe'.

As in, the survey showed all of the steel that they surveyor was good enough (in mm readings), and just needed blacking + new annodes rather than needing any over/re-plating

1 minute ago, IsabelleSAllen said:

As in, the survey showed all of the steel that they surveyor was good enough (in mm readings), and just needed blacking + new annodes rather than needing any over/re-plating

Out of interest, have you considered all the other costs of boating?

Richard

Sorry, but what is 'good enough'?

0.1mm is good enough not to let water in.

At what thickness does a boat need overplating?

2 minutes ago, RLWP said:

Out of interest, have you considered all the other costs of boating?

Richard

e.g every 2 year blacking/annodes + out of the water costs
insurance p/a
BSS
Canal License p/a
mooring .vs. constantly cruising p/m
gas p/w
pump outs 
boat maintenance
engine services

anything else? the cost of the boat is fronted by me, but from there the monthly/yearly costs will be split between two of us

7 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Good enough to satisfy the insurance co presumably.

So the boats originally built with 3/16th steel are uninsurable if the insurance companies unilaterally decide not to insure anything less than (say) 6mm

6 minutes ago, IsabelleSAllen said:

anything else?

Repaint the boat every 5-8 years at a cost of £5,000 to £15000 (depending on how much work you want to do and how much is 'professionally' done).

Diesel could be quite an important thing to factor in.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

3 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

So the boats originally built with 3/16th steel are uninsurable if the insurance companies unilaterally decide not to insure anything less than (say) 6mm

Repaint the boat every 5-8 years at a cost of £5,000 to £15000 (depending on how much work you want to do and how much is 'professionally' done).

What primers and kind of paint are usually used for this?

1 minute ago, rusty69 said:

Yep. Including mine!

Marine insurers don't seem to have the same 'hang-ups' when most (many) lumpy-water boats are built with 5 or 6mm steel plate.

What primers and kind of paint are usually used for this?

Depends what kind of finish you want- some folks will use B&Q 'gloss' stuff, most will use proper marine Enamel paints.

The better the prep and the better the paint the more it costs.

16 minutes ago, IsabelleSAllen said:

e.g every 2 year blacking/annodes + out of the water costs
insurance p/a
BSS
Canal License p/a
mooring .vs. constantly cruising p/m
gas p/w
pump outs 
boat maintenance
engine services

anything else? the cost of the boat is fronted by me, but from there the monthly/yearly costs will be split between two of us

OK, you seem to be thinking this through

Don't underestimate 'boat maintenance'. Engine an gearbox repairs are not cheap

Richard

2 minutes ago, RLWP said:

Richard

What would an average month boatlife spend for you be, minus general life (food, drink, boat parties) , and would this be considering saving up for the inveitable repairs + blacking, or just covering everything else?

8 minutes ago, IsabelleSAllen said:

If a boat hull survey says this: Construction material: Steel plate. Specification of original thickness of plate approximately 5mm bottom plate, counter and hull
Its not uncommon then, and not problematic if looked after?

If its an older boat with 5mm bottom it doesn't leave much thickness before it will be uninsurable(of course you can opt for third party as we did for many years). Newer boats tend to be 10mm plus bottom plates

Our 70 ft boat, built in 1983 with original 6mm bottom has some pitting to the baseplate that may require it to be overplated within the next 10 years (surveyed this year),and I think Springers were even thinner plate.

Edited by rusty69

10 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Marine insurers don't seem to have the same 'hang-ups' when most (many) lumpy-water boats are built with 5 or 6mm steel plate.

Depends what kind of finish you want- some folks will use B&Q 'gloss' stuff, most will use proper marine Enamel paints.

The better the prep and the better the paint the more it costs.

And if done by the boatowner - prep = sanding it completely back? and how many layers are recommended - say it was the marine enamel paint?

I'm not scared of paintbrushes!

If its an older boat with 5mm bottom it doesn't leave much thickness before it will be uninsurable. Newer boats tend to be 10mm plus bottom plates

Our 70 ft boat, built in 1983 with original 6mm bottom has some pitting to the baseplate that may require it to be overplated in the next 10 years (surveyed this year).

And so if you have pitting on a 5mm boat, that takes it below insurability; say 4mm, if you over-plate would you do it with 5mm steel, to bring it close to new boat spec, and therefore longer lifespan?

3 minutes ago, IsabelleSAllen said:

And so if you have pitting on a 5mm boat, that takes it below insurability; say 4mm, if you over-plate would you do it with 5mm steel, to bring it close to new boat spec, and therefore longer lifespan?

I think it would depend on the length of the boat. If you add new 5mm steel base and sides, you may have to remove considerable ballast. It is of course possible, if its only pitted in places, to have the pits filled with weld.

Its one for a surveyor to answer, or someone more knowledgable than me (thats most people)

11 minutes ago, RLWP said:

Richard

Time and again boaters on here who keep proper records over long periods of time, say 'maintenance' broadly has cost them an average of £5,000 a year. 

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, IsabelleSAllen said:

And if done by the boatowner - prep = sanding it completely back? and how many layers are recommended - say it was the marine enamel paint?

I'm not scared of paintbrushes!

I don't know - I would rather pay someone to do the dirty jobs.

The quote I had for a 45 foot NB (just before we sold it) for a back to bare metal repaint was £15,000 including all labour, materials, dry dock hire etc etc.

I (we - a gang of us) repainted a 40 footer about 30 years ago and I reckon it was about £2000 for materials - you would not believe how many wire brushes, sheets of sandpaper and rolls of masking tape you get thru.

It all depends if you want a boat to be 'proud of' or ............. (not politically correct to make the comparison)

4 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

I think it would depend on the length of the boat. If you add new 5mm steel base and sides, you may have to remove considerable ballast. It is of course possible, if its only pitted in places, to have the pits filled with weld.

Its one for a surveyor to answer, or someone more knowledgable than me (thats most people)

Well thank you! And i'm not one of those people anyway, so thoughts taken on board!

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

It all depends if you want a boat to be 'proud of' or ............. (not politically correct to make the comparison)

And for comparison, our 70ft boat we painted on a budget with Dulux, for less than 300 quid,but it is far from proffessional, and needs doing again now,so if you want some experience, I'll pencil you in for next March:)You too Alan

3 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I don't know - I would rather pay someone to do the dirty jobs.

The quote I had for a 45 foot NB (just before we sold it) for a back to bare metal repaint was £15,000 including all labour, materials, dry dock hire etc etc.

I (we - a gang of us) repainted a 40 footer about 30 years ago and I reckon it was about £2000 for materials - you would not believe how many wire brushes, sheets of sandpaper and rolls of masking tape you get thru.

Non pc option sounds good to me, i'm sure i could muster some kind of motley gang to help.

what are signs it needs doing, as i expect most boat's paint have signs of wear and tear?

16 minutes ago, IsabelleSAllen said:

What would an average month boatlife spend for you be, minus general life (food, drink, boat parties) , and would this be considering saving up for the inveitable repairs + blacking, or just covering everything else?

No point asking me. Not everyone on this forum is a liveaboard

Richard

And for comparison, our 70ft boat we painted on a budget with Dulux, for less than 300 quid,but it is far from proffessional, and needs doing again now,so if you want some experience, I'll pencil you in for next March:)You too Alan

Haha, that sounds achievable! did you do it in dry storage? i suppose its impossible/impractical to do it moored up in a marina instead?

And ok, but an eye for an eye, a brush for a brush

Just now, IsabelleSAllen said:

Haha, that sounds achievable! did you do it in dry storage? i suppose its impossible/impractical to do it moored up in a marina instead?

And ok, but an eye for an eye, a brush for a brush

It would depend on the marina. Not all will let you work on your boat

Richard