Project Boat: Interior Hull + Interior Refit

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, RLWP said:

No, I don't. The market for boats like that has been absorbed by folk buying them and going to live in the south east. Boats in that range now are going to need work doing to them no matter what

If you end up having to get hull work done on a Springer it can get quite expensive. The hull shape means you have to have special bostocks to support it. The most effective repair seems top be to make  a new hull vee bottom and partial sides, sail the boat onto that and then weld the whole thing in place. That's a lot of money, probably half your budget

Best value for money in that price range is probably a GRP boat

Richard

$_86.JPG

Old hull, dodgy welding on well deck cover, curious modification to front windows...

Nice colour

Richard

No mention of a BSS and no second exit that I can see

10 minutes ago, Athy said:

A professional hull survey is advisable and should detect any faults - as has often been said on CWDF before, it will cost you hundreds but could save you thousands.

Yes it is. Isabelle, a boat with a wooden or GRP superstructure - many were built that way in the 1970s and perhaps later - generally attracts a lower price than an all-steel boat because, as the top gets older, it becomes prone to leaking, particularly where the top joins the hull, which is most of the way along!

Yes, I can see you would always get a survey, and as far as I can see you need it for insurance anyhow?

Ahh, how would damage like this be visible on viewing, and are their repairs that can be done? 

Thanks!

8 minutes ago, IsabelleSAllen said:

Yes, I can see you would always get a survey, and as far as I can see you need it for insurance anyhow?

Ahh, how would damage like this be visible on viewing, and are their repairs that can be done? 

Thanks!

Damp patches, or a musty smell, inside the boat would be a giveaway, though the latter could of course just be the previous owner. A surveyor should spot any such problems. As for making good, there are others on here who know far more about that sort of thing than I do.

Certainly don't underestimate labour charges for jobs that you cant do yourself. Our Marina where I moor charges £35 an hour and that's quite cheap apparently. The boat sounds a total wreck and 10k way too much in my opinion.

There have been 2 boats sold here on the Marina, both old part overplated, one particularly bad as Fibreglass roof, wafer thin cabin sides and leaks like a sieve. Would be better to of bought a new smaller sailaway.

My Sister is looking for a boat to stay on sometimes and I'll probably go GRP. In my mind no point spending good money on an internal fit out on an old hull/engine and probably need more hull/ engine remedial work down the line.

James:cheers:

1 minute ago, Athy said:

Damp patches, or a musty smell, inside the boat would be a giveaway, though the latter could of course just be the previous owner. A surveyor should spot any such problems. As for making good, there are others on here who know far more about that sort of thing than I do.

Thanks, haha yep, lots of musty people around here

16 minutes ago, IsabelleSAllen said:

I think when I get a NB i'll try that process where you don't wash your hair for ages, and then eventually it becomes self cleaning. Stay clear!

Here is a link to other things you should know,published by Starcoaster,who also has a springer

I would encourage anybody with a limited budget just to take a leap of faith and go for it....... but maybe not this time. I tend to agree with most of the doom mentioned above. Ten grand is actually a lot of money. An old Springer is never going to be worth much but it could take all your money and break your heart. Nothing against Springers, I would be happy to own one but its like my old Allegro, it did the job just as well as a much better car but I maintained it from scrapyard parts and many years of experience and when I scrapped it it owed me nothing. Your Springer will likely owe you £10 - £15000 and it will always be the boat version of an Allegro.

21 minutes ago, Bee said:

I would encourage anybody with a limited budget just to take a leap of faith and go for it....... but maybe not this time. I tend to agree with most of the doom mentioned above. Ten grand is actually a lot of money. An old Springer is never going to be worth much but it could take all your money and break your heart. Nothing against Springers, I would be happy to own one but its like my old Allegro, it did the job just as well as a much better car but I maintained it from scrapyard parts and many years of experience and when I scrapped it it owed me nothing. Your Springer will likely owe you £10 - £15000 and it will always be the boat version of an Allegro.

Thank you yes, i think too maybe if the investment was less, i would go for it and embrace a project, and learning NB's inside out through restoration from the get go. But it is the first boat i've seen, and probably a bit of patience, with learning and looking would pay off in the long run.
Thanks! 

2 hours ago, rusty69 said:

Also, regarding boats built out of two different materials - would a steel hull with wooden top have similar leaking issues as the steel hull with grp top? this is what the 10,000 springer is!

thank you! ! 

On 19/11/2017 at 20:31, rusty69 said:

I personally wouldn't touch a wooden topped steel bottom narrowboat with a carbon fibre boat pole. 

Apologies if that is what the boat I linked to earlier is. 

Nor would I. 

In fact I wouldn't even touch it with yours. :giggles:

Dear OP. Any boat that needed overplating is a rusty heap of poo and best avoided even if the overplating has been done, in my personal opinion. Only pay pocket money for such a thing. £3k would seem expensive for the boat you posted about. 

Trouble is, there is an avalanche of dreamers with £20k to waste on a colander. This is what you are up against.

A decent boat costs £30k whichever way you cut it. Either spend that in the first place or buy a £10k boat and spend £20k on it. Anything less and you are needing a bargain or live on a boat loaded with compromises.

10 hours ago, rusty69 said:

I personally wouldn't touch a wooden topped steel bottom narrowboat with a carbon fibre boat pole. 

Apologies if that is what the boat I linked to earlier is. 

So the green boat 14,000, with grp top ( i know grp top could leak, but how does other info he sent look? )

Hi, sent this to people earlier today who enquiried. Licensed until August next year but crt licenses are no longer transferable. Hi, yes still for sale... I'm inundated with messages so I'll just send you what I've sent other people today!... Hi, She needs general tidying in and out. Hi, She's a 1976 boat built by hesford marine. Boat safety certificate until August next year. No mooring fees as she continuously cruises (moves every 2 weeks and has to cover 20 miles annually to meet license requirements). Been doing this for 4 years. Engine is 4 years old, it's made by Marine Power, but I forget the model number. I have the manual for it though at home. Got 400 watts of solar on the roof. Twin leisure batteries. Full 12v system and also a small sinewave inverter to run the 240v sockets. Although these have been rarely used. 4 year old Aarrow wood burner. Eberspacher diesel heater. LPG instant water heater. CRT license is about £670 a year from memory. Last survey was about 7 years ago, there was nothing drastic and before being blacked she had 'isolated areas of pitting' filled with weld. I can forward that survey to you when I get home Monday morning. She's due for hull blacking and is booked in for 1st of December (there's a years waiting list! Booking is sold with the boat at a cost of around £500 if wanted. Reason for sale is that we have been renting her out for the last 4 years but current tenant has just this morning given notice and I'm soon moving to Shropshire 4 days a week to start a new big project on some land I've bought so won't be here to do any of the work that needs doing (painting exterior, fixing curtain poles, mending holes in the canvas cratch covers, servicing engine etc etc etc) before finding a new tenant. The pics on the listing are 2 years old, all I had on my phone! She does now need the exterior rubbing down and painting. My wife doesn't have time to do any of it either. I realise it's the wrong time of year really to sell but I don't have a day a fortnight to go over and move her myself over winter. Hence the decision to sell 'as is'.

1 hour ago, IsabelleSAllen said:

So the green boat 14,000, with grp top ( i know grp top could leak, but how does other info he sent look? )

Hi, sent this to people earlier today who enquiried. Licensed until August next year but crt licenses are no longer transferable. Hi, yes still for sale... I'm inundated with messages so I'll just send you what I've sent other people today!... Hi, She needs general tidying in and out. Hi, She's a 1976 boat built by hesford marine. Boat safety certificate until August next year. No mooring fees as she continuously cruises (moves every 2 weeks and has to cover 20 miles annually to meet license requirements). Been doing this for 4 years. Engine is 4 years old, it's made by Marine Power, but I forget the model number. I have the manual for it though at home. Got 400 watts of solar on the roof. Twin leisure batteries. Full 12v system and also a small sinewave inverter to run the 240v sockets. Although these have been rarely used. 4 year old Aarrow wood burner. Eberspacher diesel heater. LPG instant water heater. CRT license is about £670 a year from memory. Last survey was about 7 years ago, there was nothing drastic and before being blacked she had 'isolated areas of pitting' filled with weld. I can forward that survey to you when I get home Monday morning. She's due for hull blacking and is booked in for 1st of December (there's a years waiting list! Booking is sold with the boat at a cost of around £500 if wanted. Reason for sale is that we have been renting her out for the last 4 years but current tenant has just this morning given notice and I'm soon moving to Shropshire 4 days a week to start a new big project on some land I've bought so won't be here to do any of the work that needs doing (painting exterior, fixing curtain poles, mending holes in the canvas cratch covers, servicing engine etc etc etc) before finding a new tenant. The pics on the listing are 2 years old, all I had on my phone! She does now need the exterior rubbing down and painting. My wife doesn't have time to do any of it either. I realise it's the wrong time of year really to sell but I don't have a day a fortnight to go over and move her myself over winter. Hence the decision to sell 'as is'.

If its the one i sent a link to, he said its all steel. 

At 1976, if little steel work has been done, it soon will be required. 

Two year old pics! A lot can happen in that time. 

Keep looking. Perhaps investigate GRP boats as someone else said. 

Good luck 

Eta. I imagine the ad is the one he used to rent the boat out 4yrs ago. 

Edited by rusty69

2 hours ago, IsabelleSAllen said:

Check when the boat was last blacked.

If it was 7 years ago, then run a mile from this boat. Unless blacked with 2 pack epoxy (unlikely most use bitumen based blacking), then boats should be blacked every 2-3 years to prevent excessive corrosion of the hull.

2 hours ago, rusty69 said:

Keep looking. Perhaps investigate GRP boats as someone else said. 

The OP appears to think that this means 'steel hull with GRP top'.

15 hours ago, IsabelleSAllen said:

What would a price be for grp topped NB?

Rusty  - I assume you are meaning a 'proper' (100%) GRP boat.