Moored in the wrong place.

Jrtm

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, billybobbooth said:

Surly you would leave a note if it was an emergency, concidering it was tied up and locked?

Lets pray it wasnt there today with the 2 wide beams i passed on that section today

Realistically you are almost certainly correct it was inconsiderate mooring but if we make that assumption all the time we will be wrong at some point. Also I don't think it's reasonable to assume someone with an arm or leg injury would be inclined or even able to write a note.

At the end of the day it's an inconvenience involving canal boating that makes your task a little harder. If you had been out driving rather than boating you would almost certainly have encountered someone being equally inconsiderate but with potentially far greater consequences for you. I'll bet you wouldn't have started a thread online about that. Sometimes it pays to put it in perspective, get over the initial annoyance and move on. I don't think naming and shaming is the way to tackle it.

JP

Edited by Captain Pegg
  • Greenie 1

56 minutes ago, billybobbooth said:

Surly you would leave a note if it was an emergency, concidering it was tied up and locked?

Lets pray it wasnt there today with the 2 wide beams i passed on that section today

The problem is you have probably achieved very little in terms of preventing any sort of repeat (assuming for the sake of argument the boater concerned was just in the pub). Unless they are a member of this forum (possible but unlikely) they will be totally oblivious to your concerns about how and where they have moored. Additionally anybody from the forum who subsequently recognises the boat is unlikely to go up to them and tackle them about it.

In fact if there was any note writing to be done it could be argued it would have been better for you to quickly pen one off politely drawing their attention to the error of their ways at the same time apologising if you have got it wrong.

That IMHO would have been more constructive than posting pictures of the boat on here. As it is they will probably do exactly the same next time. 

Edited by MJG

Just now, alan_fincher said:

That's a closed Facebook group, so anybody not a member of that group will not be able to see it.

Don' worry. It's the MLAT  page.

Your not missing anything. It' a group  for having a laugh but some take it far too seriously.

You wont learn anything about this boat by going on there.

IAIN, I'm not knocking you for putting up the link. I find the group great to put a smile on my face.

6 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

Slightly bonkers though isn't it?

By placing VMs in the middle of flights, then putting "don't moor in lock flights" in a boaters guide they are completely contradicting themselves.

So should it say "only moor in lock flights if we have decided to provide VMs there"?

As has been pointed out permanent moorings exists in the Braunston and Buckby flights, (and indeed at many places on the system, Calcutt and Hillmorton being other nearby examples).  How can you reasonably issue guidance that says "don't moor temporarily in lock flights", and then grant permanent moorings within lock flights?

The mooring situation at somewhere like Audlem would be pretty unsatisfactory if you were not allowed to moor in flights.  Or Atherstone, or Curdworth, or.......... The list is a long one, isn't it?

Not sure that it is bonkers since it very much depends on the nature of the lock flight as to whether mooring is sensible or otherwise. The point I always look out for is whether or not the locks have  by-weirs and if water is flowing through them. If they have it is a reasonable assumption that the pound will remain full (ish) I think that is the case at the moorings in the Napton flight. The Calcutt flight doesn't have by-weirs if my memory serves which is why the hire boats below the top lock, and the guy who moors in the short pound below the second lock, are sometimes left high and dry. Personally I'd only moor temporarily in a short pound without by-weirs; the advice from CRT regarding not mooring in lock flights I would think is to cover themselves in the event of some muppet mooring in a short flight, running out of water and tilting possibly causing stuff (TV's,etc) to fall over. If they then complained to CRT for any damage caused CRT then have the opportunity of saying,"We did tell you not to".

3 minutes ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

Not sure that it is bonkers since it very much depends on the nature of the lock flight as to whether mooring is sensible or otherwise. The point I always look out for is whether or not the locks have  by-weirs and if water is flowing through them. If they have it is a reasonable assumption that the pound will remain full (ish) I think that is the case at the moorings in the Napton flight. The Calcutt flight doesn't have by-weirs if my memory serves which is why the hire boats below the top lock, and the guy who moors in the short pound below the second lock, are sometimes left high and dry. Personally I'd only moor temporarily in a short pound without by-weirs; the advice from CRT regarding not mooring in lock flights I would think is to cover themselves in the event of some muppet mooring in a short flight, running out of water and tilting possibly causing stuff (TV's,etc) to fall over. If they then complained to CRT for any damage caused CRT then have the opportunity of saying,"We did tell you not to".

Calcutt locks do have weirs, the old narrow locks serve that purpose.  The second pound down was always empty recently because of the badly leaking bottom gates on the bottom lock, which were recently improved a bit by CRT.  There is a short stoppage, in Feb I think, to do more on the bottom Lock.

Clearly some lock flights are less suitable for mooring, but to suggest that it is not allowed, or at least bad practice is I think a vast over simplification.

That said I have more of an issue with people making up signs with the intention of passing them off as official CRT signs, it seems to be getting more popular, and needs to be stamped out.

1 minute ago, john6767 said:

Clearly some lock flights are less suitable for mooring, but to suggest that it is not allowed, or at least bad practice is I think a vast over simplification.

The Lapworth flight was a particularly poor choice for overnight mooring for one hire boat we found. We had to move the boat so we could enter the next lock

Richard

8 minutes ago, RLWP said:

The Lapworth flight was a particularly poor choice for overnight mooring for one hire boat we found. We had to move the boat so we could enter the next lock

Richard

In the main part of the flight certainly would be a bad idea, but then again it is yet another flight with both visitor and long term moorings in the flight.

5 hours ago, matty40s said:

The boat in my picture was moored on the lower lock landing at Sileby two days later.....even dafter spot considering that the wier stream pushes you onto the lock landing there anyway!!

If that is the boat I think it is, he moors anywhere and cares not one jot, he also plays loud music (usually Cher)

all the time.

19 minutes ago, john6767 said:

In the main part of the flight certainly would be a bad idea, but then again it is yet another flight with both visitor and long term moorings in the flight.

Between lock 8 and 9

Richard

1 hour ago, thebfg said:

Don' worry. It's the MLAT  page.

Your not missing anything. It' a group  for having a laugh but some take it far too seriously.

You wont learn anything about this boat by going on there.

IAIN, I'm not knocking you for putting up the link. I find the group great to put a smile on my face.

Moored Like A Twat?

• Happy 1

8 hours ago, Captain Pegg said:

In which case the boat exiting the lock doesn't require to use the landing because the gate will be left open for the boat waiting on the landing.

If someone were aboard would you have a go at them or enquire as to whether they realise their actions are incorrect first?

I find when single handing or on the Droitwich Barge Canal it's expedient to use lock landings for making a drink or grabbing a bite to eat either before or after using a lock. In such an instances I keep an ear and eye out for boats so that I can prepare or close gates afterwards so they don't require the landing. Technically wrong but expedient.

JP

Just a minute, the boat leaving the lock might need to use the landing stage to pick crew - for instance a crew member who stayed behind to help close the gate when the other boat entered - maybe a single-handed boater. I am not trying to be argumentative - I make the point that having a boat in the way at the landing stage at a lock happens fairly often - so it is no big deal - at least not for me.

I agree that if the boat is moored and without a crew ready to use the lock it is annoying - in which case I close the gates on exit - and if necessary pull alongside to let the crew use the moored boat as a convenient 'stepping-stone.  

7 minutes ago, Horace42 said:

Just a minute, the boat leaving the lock might need to use the landing stage to pick crew - for instance a crew member who stayed behind to help close the gate when the other boat entered - maybe a single-handed boater. I am not trying to be argumentative - I make the point that having a boat in the way at the landing stage at a lock happens fairly often - so it is no big deal - at least not for me.

I agree that if the boat is moored and without a crew ready to use the lock it is annoying - in which case I close the gates on exit - and if necessary pull alongside to let the crew use the moored boat as a convenient 'stepping-stone.  

One way or another that scenario is easily manageable. Either the outgoing boat pulls in close so the incoming boat can go round it or the outgoing boat goes outside the incoming boat and reverses onto the landing, Either way the landing is going to be clear.

If I am waiting on the landing I will always suggest to folk they can jump aboard and head straight off; it's just easier for all. As a regular single hander - or sole adult member of crew - I wouldn't expect them to stick around to close a gate. I will already have had the benefit of having the lock propared for me.

JP

Edited by Captain Pegg

10 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I have to say in my infrequent experience of breakdowns, one has to stop wherever the breakdown occurs, rather than choose a convenient place for it to happen!

Well yes, quite. 

1 hour ago, Horace42 said:

Just a minute, the boat leaving the lock might need to use the landing stage to pick crew - for instance a crew member who stayed behind to help close the gate when the other boat entered ...  

Why would they need to pick up crew for the next lock less than 200 yards away..... (Although,  yes, I have seen this done!!!!)

On 19/11/2017 at 11:50, alan_fincher said:

Slightly bonkers though isn't it?

By placing VMs in the middle of flights, then putting "don't moor in lock flights" in a boaters guide they are completely contradicting themselves.

So should it say "only moor in lock flights if we have decided to provide VMs there"?

As has been pointed out permanent moorings exists in the Braunston and Buckby flights, (and indeed at many places on the system, Calcutt and Hillmorton being other nearby examples).  How can you reasonably issue guidance that says "don't moor temporarily in lock flights", and then grant permanent moorings within lock flights?

The mooring situation at somewhere like Audlem would be pretty unsatisfactory if you were not allowed to moor in flights.  Or Atherstone, or Curdworth, or.......... The list is a long one, isn't it?

How about the water point on lock 4 at Atherstone, never understood the point of that....

2 hours ago, Dave Payne said:

How about the water point on lock 4 at Atherstone, never understood the point of that....

There's a few waterpoint around where you actually need to occupy the lock to use them. And at least one pump out. 

53 minutes ago, pearley said:

There's a few waterpoint around where you actually need to occupy the lock to use them.

One of the Mexborough locks on the S&SYN (top or bottom I can't recall which) was like this. 

On 11/19/2017 at 20:01, Captain Pegg said:

One way or another that scenario is easily manageable. Either the outgoing boat pulls in close so the incoming boat can go round it or the outgoing boat goes outside the incoming boat and reverses onto the landing, Either way the landing is going to be clear.

If I am waiting on the landing I will always suggest to folk they can jump aboard and head straight off; it's just easier for all. As a regular single hander - or sole adult member of crew - I wouldn't expect them to stick around to close a gate. I will already have had the benefit of having the lock propared for me.

JP

Why would they close a gate if you were on the lock landing waiting to go in?

6 minutes ago, monkeyhanger said:

Why would they close a gate if you were on the lock landing waiting to go in?

The poster to whom I was responding suggested that if I was single handing the other crew might stick around to assist me in the lock and therefore the departing boat would require to use the lock landing. Hence my meaning was that I wouldn't expect the crew to hang around to close a gate behind me.

JP