Moored in the wrong place.

Jrtm

Featured Posts

16 minutes ago, Horace42 said:

....and a PS to me previous comment. Had the 'moored' boat been pointing the other way then navigating this type of 'obstruction' at locks is common place at busy times - with boats waiting to come in as you leave - In this case I would have muttered some negative words and shook my head as I passed-  and thought nothing more of it. 

So it appears to an 'inconvenience' - and no one in charge to have a go at.

In which case the boat exiting the lock doesn't require to use the landing because the gate will be left open for the boat waiting on the landing.

If someone were aboard would you have a go at them or enquire as to whether they realise their actions are incorrect first?

I find when single handing or on the Droitwich Barge Canal it's expedient to use lock landings for making a drink or grabbing a bite to eat either before or after using a lock. In such an instances I keep an ear and eye out for boats so that I can prepare or close gates afterwards so they don't require the landing. Technically wrong but expedient.

JP

1 hour ago, alan_fincher said:

Perhaps you mean "in short pounds in lock flights", then?  In which case you need to define "short" surely?

All the major flights south of Braunston, (Braunston, Buckby, Stoke, Marsworth) have traditionally allowed mooring somewhere within them, (in some cases designated visitor moorings).  As it stands I don't think your definition is tight enough.

No Alan - if you look at the Trust and EA Boaters’ Handbook please look at what it says on Page 13. It seems this software doesn’t link links to PDF files - I’ll try again.

Edited by Leo No2

5 minutes ago, Leo No2 said:

No Alan - if you look at the Trust and EA Boaters’ Handbook please look at what it says on Page 13. It seems this software doesn’t link links to PDF files - I’ll try again.

I would struggle to believe there is a boater who hasn't infringed the letter of those requirements. That's why it all needs a degree of sensible interpretation and just maybe a little bit of tolerance.

JP

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Captain Pegg said:

I would struggle to believe there is a boater who hasn't infringed the letter of those requirements. That's why it all needs a degree of sensible interpretation and just maybe a little bit of tolerance.

JP

Agreed 100%

20 minutes ago, Leo No2 said:

Slightly bonkers though isn't it?

By placing VMs in the middle of flights, then putting "don't moor in lock flights" in a boaters guide they are completely contradicting themselves.

So should it say "only moor in lock flights if we have decided to provide VMs there"?

As has been pointed out permanent moorings exists in the Braunston and Buckby flights, (and indeed at many places on the system, Calcutt and Hillmorton being other nearby examples).  How can you reasonably issue guidance that says "don't moor temporarily in lock flights", and then grant permanent moorings within lock flights?

The mooring situation at somewhere like Audlem would be pretty unsatisfactory if you were not allowed to moor in flights.  Or Atherstone, or Curdworth, or.......... The list is a long one, isn't it?

2 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

Slightly bonkers though isn't it?

By placing VMs in the middle of flights, then putting "don't moor in lock flights" in a boaters guide they are completely contradicting themselves.

So should it say "only moor in lock flights if we have decided to provide VMs there"?

As has been pointed out permanent moorings exists in the Braunston and Buckby flights, (and indeed at many places on the system, Calcutt and Hillmorton being other nearby examples).  How can you reasonably issue guidance that says "don't moor temporarily in lock flights", and then grant permanent moorings within lock flights?

The mooring situation at somewhere like Audlem would be pretty unsatisfactory if you were not allowed to moor in flights.  Or Atherstone, or Curdworth, or.......... The list is a long one, isn't it?

Rules are for the observance of fools and the guidance of wise people.

You can choose which camp you want to belong to.

JP

2 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Now that could be what happened in this case too. But the boater's view of a 'safe place' differs from the view of this forum.

But we'd look daft if it turned out it was a single hander who did themselves a serious injury while working the lock. That's why it pays to establish the circumstances before laying into someone.

JP

• Greenie 2

5 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

But we'd look daft if it turned out it was a single hander who did themselves a serious injury while working the lock. That's why it pays to establish the circumstances before laying into someone.

JP

Which is why I think we should not "name and shame".

Yes, it is probably 90% (something) likely to be true that this boat didn't need to be left here, and could have been left somewhere more reasonable.  However the OP doesn't know that, do they, and we should accept that there is a finite chance that something worse could have happened.

(Anyway some good has come of it, because we now know the signs at least shouldn't still have been there anyway!)

21 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

You can add Napton to your list. We sometimes moor halfway down it, as do numerous other boaters. Our rule of thumb is, if we are clear of the row of lock-mooring bollards, then it's reasonable to tie up.

4 minutes ago, Athy said:

You can add Napton to your list. We sometimes moor halfway down it, as do numerous other boaters. Our rule of thumb is, if we are clear of the row of lock-mooring bollards, then it's reasonable to tie up.

Which I think is reasonable and the issue with the boat in question in the thread is that it is moored (badly) on the lock landing rather than that it is in the pound. Although considering there are official moorings in the pounds immediately above and below it's not a wise place to moor even outside of the lock landings.

JP

12 hours ago, MJG said:

So you spoke to the boater concerned?

If they were in the pub you could have done so in the time it took to take and post the photos.

Or is the fact they are actually moored there unknown to you and your suggestion they have 'just gone to the pub' mere supposition?

Yes coz leaving the boat to go to the pub is a fantastic idea while trying to get threw locks.

Photos were taken while not leaving the boat and i could clearly see my boat.

Look at post time oh thats right in the evening and clearly dark.

• Unimpressed 1

1 hour ago, Horace42 said:

....and a PS to me previous comment. Had the 'moored' boat been pointing the other way then navigating this type of 'obstruction' at locks is common place at busy times - with boats waiting to come in as you leave - In this case I would have muttered some negative words and shook my head as I passed-  and thought nothing more of it. 

So it appears to an 'inconvenience' - and no one in charge to have a go at.

Had there been anyone on i would have asked them to set the lock or move.

To the coments about its ropes it had 3 1 on bow 1 middle 1 at the back. Boat all locked up.

And no they were def not setting the lock above or below as i came down the flight at 3.45  ish got to bottom as night set in

26 minutes ago, billybobbooth said:

Yes coz leaving the boat to go to the pub is a fantastic idea while trying to get threw locks.

Photos were taken while not leaving the boat and i could clearly see my boat.

Look at post time oh thats right in the evening and clearly dark.

You are missing the point.

As myself and others (who's posts for whatever reason you haven't included despite them raising the same issue with your OP) are querying your assertion that they are actually tied up and visiting the pub and that despite the fact you are short of evidence as to the actual facts you felt it OK to 'name and shame them' (those being your actual words BTW).

I can assure you that there are a few boaters about who would feel quite happy setting you very straight as to the actual facts if you have 'named and shamed' them inappropriately, (and I don't mean just by having a word).

A simple adherence to the rule of getting your facts straight before you set out to embarrass one of your fellow boaters goes a long way I would suggest.

3 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I have to say in my infrequent experience of breakdowns, one has to stop wherever the breakdown occurs, rather than choose a convenient place for it to happen!

Not necessarily.

When we had our last shareboat, I was unlucky enough for it to break down (water in the bottom half of the fuel tank) just as I was entering Watford bottom lock.

As easy road access was almost impossible there,  I asked someone to tow me to the A5 bridge, to make it easier for the technician to help me get the boat going again. 

3 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I have to say in my infrequent experience of breakdowns, one has to stop wherever the breakdown occurs, rather than choose a convenient place for it to happen!

Once as hire boaters we had to decline towing a broken down boat on the Soar (You arent allowed to tow). Rather than leave it on the river section the couple managed to bow haul it to and through the lock at MGM narrowboats.

I later felt like a right knob when they asked us to to look after their boat whilst they took a taxi to hospital as in the process of bow hauling the boat the female crew member had fallen and broken her arm. I wish I'd just ignored the 'rule' and towed them to the lock.

28 minutes ago, MJG said:

Once as hire boaters we had to decline towing a broken down boat on the Soar (You arent allowed to tow). Rather than leave it on the river section the couple managed to bow haul it to and through the lock at MGM narrowboats.

I later felt like a right knob when they asked us to to look after their boat whilst they took a taxi to hospital as in the process of bow hauling the boat the female crew member had fallen and broken her arm. I wish I'd just ignored the 'rule' and towed them to the lock.

Hindsight is a great thing. You did what you thought was right and responsible at the time, no point in beating yourself up about it now.

10 minutes ago, NB Lola said:

This is a classic nobody knows the truth so we all speculate.  

A common human trait which is certainly not confined to boating websites!

1 hour ago, MJG said:

You are missing the point.

As myself and others (who's posts for whatever reason you haven't included despite them raising the same issue with your OP) are querying your assertion that they are actually tied up and visiting the pub and that despite the fact you are short of evidence as to the actual facts you felt it OK to 'name and shame them' (those being your actual words BTW).

I can assure you that there are a few boaters about who would feel quite happy setting you very straight as to the actual facts if you have 'named and shamed' them inappropriately, (and I don't mean just by having a word).

A simple adherence to the rule of getting your facts straight before you set out to embarrass one of your fellow boaters goes a long way I would suggest.

So blocking a lock mooring when there is nowhere elts to tie up and from the previous lock cant see the other lock leaving a boat blocking a lock landing (and had i been a wide beam) blocking the lock too this is ok with you? That was the point of my posting this.

A there are signs be it questionable as i was expecting it to say winter moorings

B there was plenty of mooring below and above the next lock.

C blocking the lock landing and lock.

If it was an emergency why would you take 3 lines off. And the opposite side dispite the signs the boat would be in no ones way.

For me a single boater this time it couldnt have been more in the way. I also add not that i would but i would expect to be moaned about if i moored like this.

• Greenie 2

45 minutes ago, billybobbooth said:

So blocking a lock mooring when there is nowhere elts to tie up and from the previous lock cant see the other lock leaving a boat blocking a lock landing (and had i been a wide beam) blocking the lock too this is ok with you? That was the point of my posting this.

A there are signs be it questionable as i was expecting it to say winter moorings

B there was plenty of mooring below and above the next lock.

C blocking the lock landing and lock.

If it was an emergency why would you take 3 lines off. And the opposite side dispite the signs the boat would be in no ones way.

For me a single boater this time it couldnt have been more in the way. I also add not that i would but i would expect to be moaned about if i moored like this.

None of which really changes what I said. We still do not actually know do we?

In the absence of fact I am saying you are wrong to name and shame a boater in a public forum.