Moored in the wrong place.

Jrtm

Featured Posts

Thought i would add ny amusing day in. Lock below stoke museum lock number 15 on gu.

They ov read the sign as the clearly moored where there was no sign all though it was tied very loose. There were loads of spaces above next lock and the tunnel and even space below this lock!

Might as well name and shame at same time

20171118_145216.jpg

20171118_144500.jpg

P.s. i was single handed so couldnt go and set the lock readyas i wasnt going to leave the boat in a wide lock on its own.

Last 2 pics taken once i was in the lock. Im guessing the pub was there destination

20171118_144435.jpg

20171118_145203.jpg

20171118_144355.jpg

So you spoke to the boater concerned?

If they were in the pub you could have done so in the time it took to take and post the photos.

Or is the fact they are actually moored there unknown to you and your suggestion they have 'just gone to the pub' mere supposition?

Edited by MJG

7 hours ago, MJG said:

So you spoke to the boater concerned?

If they were in the pub you could have done so in the time it took to take and post the photos.

Or is the fact they are actually moored there unknown to you and your suggestion they have 'just gone to the pub' mere supposition?

he did say he was guessing they were in the pub.

neil

As an aside, the sign is a very odd one.

Despite the CRT logo, it says "CRT have requested".

I suspect it has been made and put there by a local, not offiially by CRT, otherwise why not just "no mooring in this pound".

"In line with usual boating etiquette?"  What's all that about then? I call "bluff" on this sign.

• Greenie 1

23 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

I suspect it has been made and put there by a local, not offiially by CRT, otherwise why not just "no mooring in this pound".

It's odd also that CART could not spell "Thank you".

Well whoever it was, whether a local or CRT they need to look at the officially published map for South East Visitor Moorings at Stoke Bruerne.

This clearly still reflects what was originally agreed about this pound, marking it as "No Overnight Mooring".

The discussions agreed it was useful daytime mooring, and would provide space where people can make a pub or lunch stop if they wish, (though obviously that doesn't extend to blocking lock landings!).  It was felt the pound can go down overnight, so overnight mooring should be discouraged, (I'm not sure how much the pound can now fall overnight - the locals would know).

Any changes to agreed mooring times now have to follow the CRT framework, so strictly this pound is what it says on the official map, (i.e, daytime mooring allowed), and that can't be changed by just erecting a sign.   If it were appropriate, i  would ignore the sign, (but not block lock landings!).

Back to original post though, I am not a fan of "name and shame", and am sorry to see the forum getting used in this way.  Unless you know the full story, it is always dangerous to assume.  We recently encountered the boat of a well known canal name moored somewhere highly inconvenient.  It turned out someone on board was collapsed, and an ambulance was on its way.

1 minute ago, Athy said:

It's odd also that CART could not spell "Thank you".

I'm not sure I agree - I have seen lots of spelling and grammar errors on BW or CRT signage!

13 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

I'm not sure I agree - I have seen lots of spelling and grammar errors on BW or CRT signage!

O.K., you win - it's genuine.:D

I don't think that the ability to spell "Thank you" correctly requires a high degree of literacy, though.

Edited by Athy

30 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

"In line with usual boating etiquette?"  What's all that about then? I call "bluff" on this sign.

Village at War signs (and my spelling - I’ll take 100 lines!!) which I had quite forgotten were still there - removed in the last 10 mins; we did have approval for the signs but perhaps not for the length of time they were there!  There is a CRT sign midway between the locks on the towpath side (i.e. the side opposite the Navigation) which has arrows pointing towards Lock 15 and Lock 14 which also clearly says Lock Waiting.  The boat in question is moored only by a centre line, and seemed to be firmly locked this morning with a good coating of ice on the roof.  That’s not a pound that, IMHO, it is sensible to moor in due to reasonably large fluctuations in level due to the shortness of the pound - about 100m.

Boating etiquette (but I managed to spell that correctly I think) is that you don’t moor in lock flights, except in the case of this flight  mooring in the Long Pound is ‘approved’.

Spoke to a couple who claimed the boat arrived under its own power about a week or so ago but it is now claimed it is broken down - not, in my opinion, the best place to gain help to get it going again.  There’s plenty of space in the Stowe Hill pound between the Museum Green and the Tunnel Portal which have, as we discussed yesterday, reverted to 14 day moorings for the winter period.

On 19/11/2017 at 10:01, Leo No2 said:

Spoke to a couple who claimed the boat arrived under its own power about a week or so ago but it is now claimed it is broken down - not, in my opinion, the best place to gain help to get it going again.

I have to say in my infrequent experience of breakdowns, one has to stop wherever the breakdown occurs, rather than choose a convenient place for it to happen!

10 minutes ago, Leo No2 said:

Boating etiquette (but I managed to spell that correctly I think) is that you don’t moor in lock flights, except in the case of this flight  mooring in the Long Pound is ‘approved’.

Perhaps you mean "in short pounds in lock flights", then?  In which case you need to define "short" surely?

All the major flights south of Braunston, (Braunston, Buckby, Stoke, Marsworth) have traditionally allowed mooring somewhere within them, (in some cases designated visitor moorings).  As it stands I don't think your definition is tight enough.

If this was a permitted exception for VaW, and normally CRT say daytime mooring in that pound is allowed, would it not be better if the temporary signs said, "Please no mooring in this pound during the Village at War event" and gave dates?

Edited by alan_fincher
  • Greenie 1

And braunston also has long term moorings  in lock pounds.

If you don't think mooring should be allowed in lock pounds then perhaps someone should have a word with Calcutt and ask them to move their hire fleet and brokerage boats, as they are all in a short pound.

Official or not, what is the purpose of the sign ? Why was it put there ? For whose benefit ? And where is it exactly relative to the inconsiderate mooring ? And would it made any difference to the actual situation ?

The boat causing the 'obstruction' does not appear to be 'moored' - it looks as though it is held loosely on the centre rope - suggesting a temporary arrangement  - a single handed boater maybe gone ahead to prepare the lock. There are all sorts of reasonable explanations , if those inconvenienced tried hard to find out - if it really mattered to them.

1 hour ago, nicknorman said:

But according to folk on the mooron thread I started, boaters must be allowed to moor where they like. It’s all about human rights and the right to express oneself freely, apparently.

I just read through that thread again. No one said any such thing.

That was an inconsiderate place to moor and this is both inconsiderate and ignorant.

JP

....and a PS to me previous comment. Had the 'moored' boat been pointing the other way then navigating this type of 'obstruction' at locks is common place at busy times - with boats waiting to come in as you leave - In this case I would have muttered some negative words and shook my head as I passed-  and thought nothing more of it. 

So it appears to an 'inconvenience' - and no one in charge to have a go at.