Induction hobs

Featured Posts

When we have built the boat we intend cc ing in it for a few years.  Does anyone use an induction hob whilst cc ing, I know it’s all about power audits and enough battery / solar etc but I wondered if anyone was already doing it and would share their experience.

cheers

Phil

Some induction hobs can be run from a 13A socket.  This would mean that not all 'rings' could operate at full power simultaneously.  This won't be a problem for most people, most of the time.  But for a boat it would probably be better than one that draws 30 Amps plus.  That would be 600 Amps plus from your 12V batteries.

What sort of oven are you going for?

• Greenie 1

We too have an an induction hob. It is a 2 ring CDA unit, plugs into a standard 13 amp socket and we can use both rings with no problem. It is powered via a remote start diesel generator. We also use a CDA fan oven rated at 2200 watts. 

• Greenie 1

Thanks for the answers I am thinking of a 460 Ah battery bank at 24v run by the alternator and 1.5 to 2 Kw of solar I will have a back up genny as well. I was thinking of a 240v fridge freezer and wondered if one of these http://ao.com/product/si5322b-smeg-induction-hob-black-34676-39.aspx may be an “Amp too far”

Edited by Bromleyxphil

1 minute ago, mross said:

What kW will be the gennie and the inverter?

It’s all at the planning and thinking at the moment “but the shell build starts in the next two weeks” batteries 4 of https://www.tayna.co.uk/LFD230-Varta-Professional-DC-Leisure-Battery-930230115-P3650.html. Used them before in a 24v setup and they are good.  Inverter by Victron 2/3kw  gennie starting with a Honda EU20i as I already own it and it’s almost new.

Bit of a pain starting the genny every time you want to use one ring on the hob, surely. (The EU20i wouldn’t run both rings.)

13 minutes ago, Bromleyxphil said:

I am thinking of a 460 Ah battery bank at 24v

5.5kWh usable, with 12 to 24 hours to fully replace that charge. Bear that in mind. 

• Greenie 1

53 minutes ago, Bromleyxphil said:

It’s all at the planning and thinking at the moment “but the shell build starts in the next two weeks” batteries 4 of https://www.tayna.co.uk/LFD230-Varta-Professional-DC-Leisure-Battery-930230115-P3650.html. Used them before in a 24v setup and they are good.  Inverter by Victron 2/3kw  gennie starting with a Honda EU20i as I already own it and it’s almost new.

If that is your real plan for use I would include a place for a built in diesel genny in the shell build, most are raw water cooled so mud box etc as well. You have 2 weeks to sort it

• Greenie 1

23 minutes ago, Tuscan said:

Agree if you want equipment like an induction hob and funds allow plan for an inbuilt diesel generator , if you cool it via a skin tank you can also have it as an alternative source of hot water. 

Or have a travel power on main engine.

Neil

As always I appreciate the chance to bounce ideas around but if induction cooking requires inbuilt generation, frankly I can’t afford it.  I think I will stick with gas for cooking but rely on the battery / solar for refrigeration and lighting.  Please put up with my flights of fancy as the build and design is all consuming at this stage.  I can’t wait to get stuck in as then the decisions have to be made rather than thought about.  The 24v system solar and battery makeup are just about fixed though as it is what I am used to.

Phil

8 minutes ago, Bromleyxphil said:

As always I appreciate the chance to bounce ideas around but if induction cooking requires inbuilt generation, frankly I can’t afford it.  I think I will stick with gas for cooking but rely on the battery / solar for refrigeration and lighting.  Please put up with my flights of fancy as the build and design is all consuming at this stage.  I can’t wait to get stuck in as then the decisions have to be made rather than thought about.  The 24v system solar and battery makeup are just about fixed though as it is what I am used to.

Phil

Heating anything using electric will require a generator of some sort if off-grid.   Microwave’s are prob the exception if you have a decent charging regime.

To the OP.  It's very pleasing that you are receptive to advice.  so many ask for advice and then object when it is not what they wanted to hear!  So, please, keep the questions coming, there is hundreds of years' worth of experience on this forum.

• Greenie 2

8 hours ago, mross said:

To the OP.  It's very pleasing that you are receptive to advice.  so many ask for advice and then object when it is not what they wanted to hear!  So, please, keep the questions coming, there is hundreds of years' worth of experience on this forum.

Very true. Also there is a very good reason that 99 percent of boats cook using gas, well several very good reasons such as. Cheap installation costs. Cheap to run. Very controllable. Very very safe. Very low maintainance.