Stove Fan Effectiveness Question

BlueStringPudding

Featured Posts

16 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

It's a bit of a pointless question really. A bit like asking what's the point of having a cat.

If you like having a fan on your stove then that IS the effect.

If you like having a cat (or dog) around, what is the point of that? Answer, the same. A stove fan is rather like having a pet around in your bote.

Thought you were about to say an ecofan can catch mice :D

2 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

Just been driving along a motorway close to one of those places where they have big propellors in the fields, and one of them had a door in the base open, and I swear I could see a Morso in the bottom of it (a black one). 

So that's what is causing Global Warming :giggles:

3 hours ago, Bargebuilder said:

Perhaps Carlt studied physics with Bluestringpudding on the planet Clanger. Clearly a case for an OFSTED inspection and special measures.

What is the point of derogatory comments like that.

For your information I studied Physics to 'A' level and Material Science to degree level.

I worked in research in high performance textiles for many years (carbon fibre) with an emphasis on heat gradients within oxidising ovens and carbonising furnaces.

It is basic knowledge that radiant heat is a very minor factor with convection heaters.

Your woodburner is primarily a convection heater and the best way to get more radiant heat out of it is not to paint it black but to open the door (or keep the glass clean).

2 hours ago, Bargebuilder said:

When they start to use blacking rather than silvering in a flask to reduce radiation, I might start thinking that Carlt has got it right after all.

completely missing the point entirely.

12 minutes ago, carlt said:

Your woodburner is primarily a convection heater and the best way to get more radiant heat out of it is not to paint it black but to open the door (or keep the glass clean).

The best way to reduce the efficiency of a wood burner is to leave the door open. That is often why people replace open fires with wood burners: Leave the door open, cool the combustion chamber, reduce the heat radiated from the stove's surface. Not a good plan.

21 minutes ago, carlt said:

It is basic knowledge that radiant heat is a very minor factor with convection heaters.

With convection heaters maybe, but I thought that we were talking about wood burners.

The rules surrounding the safe installation of wood burners on vessels wouldn't be so strict concerning their distance from combustible materials if nearby items weren't  heated to extreme temperatures by radiated heat. 

Haven't you ever wondered why the bulkhead behind a stove gets much hotter than the temperature of the air between it and the stove? It's radiation, and plenty of it.

1 hour ago, Bargebuilder said:

The best way to reduce the efficiency of a wood burner is to leave the door open. That is often why people replace open fires with wood burners: Leave the door open, cool the combustion chamber, reduce the heat radiated from the stove's surface. Not a good plan.ture of the air between it and the stove? It's radiation, and plenty of it.

You are absolutely right in one respect...

Folk replace the highly inefficient radiated heat of an open fire with the much more efficient convected heat of an eclosed burner.

There are of course burners like the Queenie stove which are designed to operate with the doors open if you want a quick blast of radiated heat to warm the legs up.

1 hour ago, Bargebuilder said:

Haven't you ever wondered why the bulkhead behind a stove gets much hotter than the temperature of the air between it and the stove? It's radiation, and plenty of it.

No I haven't wondered because I already know. 

The bulkhead is far more efficient at storing heat than air so the air cools quicker.

Nothing to do with "radiation" everything to do with specific heat capacity.

I guess you also know that when you put your hand on the bulkhead (or the burner) it is "conductive" heat you are feeling...nothing to do with radiation or convection..

Edited by carlt

47 minutes ago, mross said:

Carlt is no fool and it is against the spirit of this forum to use insulting language.  I hope the mods agree?

Seconded.

I don’t really think it’s acceptable for a relatively new member to start accusing a well respected long-standing member with nearly 30,000 posts to his name of needing an OFSTED inspection of the university he attended. 

Do OFSTED even inspect universities?

38 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Was it the clanger bit or the OFSTED bit that was insulting language? or was it something else?

OFSTED. 

2 hours ago, Bargebuilder said:

With convection heaters maybe, but I thought that we were talking about wood burners.

We are. They are convection heaters. Radiators are also convection heaters despite their name. Around 80% or more of the heating from a stove or a radiator is via convection. 

Just now, rusty69 said:

Same to you pal

He he he

9 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Seconded.

I don’t really think it’s acceptable for a relatively new member to start accusing a well respected long-standing member with nearly 30,000 posts to his name of needing an OFSTED inspection of the university he attended. 

Do OFSTED even inspect universities?

OFSTED. 

In fairness I have attended Bradford and, post-grad, Birmingham so he may have a point.

8 minutes ago, mross said:

The majority of solid fuel stoves on narrowboats deliver heat more by radiation than convection.

I disagree. They might be radiant heaters but the majority of the heat within the boat is through convection. Witness all the comments about stratification of the air - that’s convected heat up by the ceiling, not radiated heat. Radiated heat warms walls and furniture, not air.