what jobs do people have (without sounding nosey)

katty45

Featured Posts

On ‎18‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 12:22, rusty69 said:

There are all manner of excellent and affordable 'Electric Piano's' out there, none of which are capable of even approximating the tonal qualities nor the keyboard action and pedal feel of any half-maintained, fashionably shabby looking iron-framed stand-up with actual hammers striking actual strings and actual dampers actually damping and so forth.....

• Greenie 1

7 hours ago, Athy said:

Is it a former Oxford University college barge? I remember there being one moored beside a hotel on the Thames (Four Seasons? Four Corners?) where we tied up for a couple of days once.

A propos, David Gilmour was on telly last night playing a concert at Pompeii, or rather showing off his guitar collection: he played five different ones (three electric, one acoustic, one steel) in the first five songs!

I may be wrong but I think he's sold or in the process of selling it.

22 minutes ago, carlt said:

Not really.

My international playboy lifestyle is just a cover for my true role as contract assassin, weaver and upholsterer.

Always wise to have a wide-ranging portfolio of core artisanal skills to fall back on for when the agreeably warm International Playboying commissions slacken off post Cannes.

On 19/11/2017 at 19:12, tomsk said:

There are all manner of excellent and affordable 'Electric Piano's' out there, none of which are capable of even approximating the tonal qualities nor the keyboard action and pedal feel of any half-maintained, fashionably shabby looking iron-framed stand-up with actual hammers striking actual strings and actual dampers actually damping and so forth.....

You are clearly a proper pianist like me. I cannot get on with ANY electric piano for all these reasons.

My favourite piano is a bit of a heap but still plays better than any electric I've ever tried...

IMG_2763.JPG

• Happy 1

On 11/19/2017 at 18:33, Arthur Marshall said:

I play trombone, fiddle and guitar though rarely all at the same time. My friend Don was a professional jazz fiddle player while living on a boat and managed OK. 

no tricky at same time....wud be handy though..

On 11/19/2017 at 19:12, tomsk said:

do u reckon i cud get an upright thru a narrowboat widebeam door?

• Happy 1

15 minutes ago, katty45 said:

Think its been done before.

I wonder what would happen if you put something like "piano on narrrowboat" into Google :D

...........Dave

42 minutes ago, katty45 said:

You need a ship's piano. They're upright with a folding keyboard. Don't know if they are still made, I've only ever seen photos of antiques. They look lovely. 

Edited by Goliath
Garma

Find yourself a Kemble Minx

s-l1600.jpg

A reasonably common upright piano that is very overstrung so it is very compact The strings are the same length as a much taller piano so it has a good sound. There are several on Ebay at the moment

My Mum has one she used to play Chopin on

Richard

• Greenie 1

8 minutes ago, RLWP said:

Find yourself a Kemble Minx

s-l1600.jpg

A reasonably common upright piano that is very overstrung so it is very compact The strings are the same length as a much taller piano so it has a good sound. There are several on Ebay at the moment

My Mum has one she used to play Chopin on

Richard

Are they available in different lengths?