what jobs do people have (without sounding nosey)

katty45

Featured Posts

I am a private music teacher and i finish in the eves and saturdays but im worried about the dark etc when i finish and walking down lonely footpaths so just wondering how other people work etc . I may need to stop the evenings and just work sats but look to supplement my income another way. I may be inheriting a widebeam so i am looking at the options.thanks

work is the curse of the boating classes?

Computer type work that can be done from the boat is the holy grail.

Checkout Justin Guitar for an example of a very successful web based music teacher, but don't think he lives on a boat.

................Dave

• Haha 1

I think it depends where are going to moor - but then you wouldn't moor in a "rough" area would you??

Perhaps more information is needed  - where would you be? Do you realise that you can't jut moor anywhere permanently, so you have to think about moving around and that's another subject.

Katty45 I read your other posting, What area is this boat in, as said above it could make a big difference returning to the boat at night, if its in a marina it would be less daunting than returning to an iner city flat probably. At the moment you could be talking about anywhere from Glasgow to Bristol  

hi yes sorry to mention..I would be based nottingham area..I have a 7 yr old half the week so need to get him to school in Ilkeston but currently im working in Notts but private lessons can be moved around if u know what i mean but his school cant

I used to have a boat called pegasus..an ex life boat many moons ago so am slightly aware of boating situations..but yes this was twenty yrs ago..my friend lives on a narrowboat and i have info from fb pages

Internet services on a boat can be expensive compared to broadband in a house so whilst it is easily done you would need to think about the monthly costs. There are many good threads on here discussing various options for getting good internet.

1 minute ago, bizzard said:

If you get the wide beam boat folk could come to you for music lessons. They would be doing the lonely path walking whilst you remain comfy on the boat.

You don't need a widebeam (unless you teach grand piano), I am aware of a complete recording studio on a narrowboat.

...........Dave

5 minutes ago, dmr said:

You don't need a widebeam (unless you teach grand piano), I am aware of a complete recording studio on a narrowboat.

...........Dave

A small  electronic sympathizer type Yamaha piano can sound like a Grand pianoforte when adjusted. I knew someone who tought Yoga in a Springer Water bug.

Edited by bizzard

On 18/11/2017 at 12:25, bizzard said:

A small  electronic sympathizer type Yamaha piano can sound like a Grand pianoforte when adjusted. I knew someone who tought Goga in a Springer Water bug.

The three foot pedals on a piano can be hard to emulate though...

On 18/11/2017 at 12:03, katty45 said:

i was thinking of music lessons via skype but does skype exist on boats...is it possible

That's a very interesting idea. What instruments do you teach? I'm keeping a weather eye open for a violin teacher.

One point though. You don't need a boat to start up as a skype-based music teacher. Do it now I suggest, and see if it really is viable. And yes spype on a boat is fine with the right internet connection. 

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

The three foot pedals on a piano can be hard to emulate though...

I thought they only had two pedals like an automatic car.   And then she might be teaching the Bass saxophone or even  just the paper and comb.

6 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Bloody hell, something that nice Mr Blizzard is wrong about!!! 

1200px-Steinway_grand_piano_-_pedals.jpg

So one does Engine Revs, one is forward/reverse, what does the third one do? Or is this for one of your funny semi-diesel things where you can adjust injection timing?

.............Dave

48 minutes ago, dmr said:

That's most certainly not a narrowboat, in fact its rather more than a widebeam!

...............Dave

IM A PIANO AND WOODWIND TEACHER

41 minutes ago, bizzard said:

I thought they only had two pedals like an automatic car.   And then she might be teaching the Bass saxophone or even  just the paper and comb.