More about marina livin'

larryjc

Featured Posts

Can't get my head around some rules in marinas.  The one that really winds up my wife is not being able to put washing out to dry.  We were in Venetian a while ago and anyone would have thought that we had committed murder when she put our fold up line, on the brolly mate on the tiller (no one told us we couldn't).  We're currently in Lyme View on the Macc and the owner is so laid back he's horizontal and surprisingly no one has committed suicide or burst into tears when boats put their washing out.  In fact I don't think anyone actually notices.  Our plans for next year will probably include looking for a mooring further south, probably on the Oxford.  I rang a few marinas there and they all ban washing being dried outside.   I know that they can set the rules but what's wrong with some clothes drying???!!  And anyone know of a marina in the area that's not quite so pedantic?

6 minutes ago, larryjc said:

Can't get my head around some rules in marinas.  The one that really winds up my wife is not being able to put washing out to dry.  We were in Venetian a while ago and anyone would have thought that we had committed murder when she put our fold up line, on the brolly mate on the tiller (no one told us we couldn't).  We're currently in Lyme View on the Macc and the owner is so laid back he's horizontal and surprisingly no one has committed suicide or burst into tears when boats put their washing out.  In fact I don't think anyone actually notices.  Our plans for next year will probably include looking for a mooring further south, probably on the Oxford.  I rang a few marinas there and they all ban washing being dried outside.   I know that they can set the rules but what's wrong with some clothes drying???!!  And anyone know of a marina in the area that's not quite so pedantic?

If you find a marina you like apart from that one rule, when it's washday leave marina, park by towpath outside, dry washing, go back into marina. It would be a slight inconvenience but don't let it be a deal-breaker.

I hear that Cropredy Marina is adding some new berths and I have no idea about their washing policy. It could be worth an enquiry.

2 minutes ago, Athy said:

If you find a marina you like apart from that one rule, when it's washday leave marina, park by towpath outside, dry washing, go back into marina. It would be a slight inconvenience but don't let it be a deal-breaker.

I hear that Cropredy Marina is adding some new berths and I have no idea about their washing policy. It could be worth an enquiry.

Cropredy were the first I tried and that's the first thing they told me.  Just spoken to Baunston and they are totally relaxed about it.

Just now, rgreg said:

One has to maintain standards Old Boy!

One of these days someone will actually explain what these 'standards' actually are and why they need to be maintained!!!!

Just now, larryjc said:

Cropredy were the first I tried and that's the first thing they told me.  Just spoken to Braunston and they are totally relaxed about it.

You may have solved your problem then, as long as they have a space (it's very popular). Braunston's a fascinating place, has lots of facilities for boaters and is in a good cruising area.

I'm surprised that's the first thing they told you.

2 minutes ago, Chop! said:

Rediculous, needless crap! For FS, make rules that encourage people to become a cohesive community, OK, pick up your dog crap, no barbeques on pontoons, no orgies unless you invite the owners...

Hang on, what's wrong with orgies??  Actually I just spoke to Clacutt and they had no issues at all  (including putting washing out).

5 minutes ago, larryjc said:

One of these days someone will actually explain what these 'standards' actually are and why they need to be maintained!!!!

I expect it's to do with appearance. I know some marinas also ban anything on a boat's roof. Similarly, I know some apartment blocks forbid washing being hung out of the balconies.

28 minutes ago, Athy said:

But as I said earlier, you are not allowed to go out when you take a winter mooring. :)

I remember reading a post about 3 years ago when a boater said I can hardly wait until  the end of the month so we can go cruising again.:captain:

• Greenie 1

They are being paid for our sufferance! Stop this needless regulatory nonsense. Got a boat? Want somewhere safe to keep it? Use a marina, that should allow plants on your roof, washing on your line, smoke from your chimbley and wake from your prop!

Methinks it's not a matter of the Marina being snotty - it's more of an issue that 'they' don't want any excuse to make the LA think that there are liveabords resident.

Not logical, because doing a wash is not necessarily connected with living aboard 365 days a year - it's just the implication in folks minds. You have to realise that with residents - however defined or perceived - will increase the liability of the marina to higher business rates as well as a welter of other  costs and regulations. I suspect the same considerations apply to caravan sites as well.

Feel free to show concrete evidence to the contrary. With more and more folks living on the canals, I suspect these and other issues will become more commonplace.  

22 minutes ago, Mike Hurley said:

If you are in a marina why not use their driers? Washing hanging out may suggest that there are residential people when there should not be.

You tell that to SWMBO who might have to walk miles across a marina with heavy wet washing and then have to pay real money for the privelige.  I of course woul be too busy to help as I will be doing boaty things.  (or having an orgy)

• Greenie 1

11 minutes ago, larryjc said:

You tell that to SWMBO who might have to walk miles across a marina with heavy wet washing and then have to pay real money for the privelige.  I of course woul be too busy to help as I will be doing boaty things.  (or having an orgy)

...or getting a boat with an engine room, so that you can hang a line along it and dry your washing on the (trust me, this works a treat as long as you remember to run the engine).

19 minutes ago, Athy said:

...or getting a boat with an engine room, so that you can hang a line along it and dry your washing on the (trust me, this works a treat as long as you remember to run the engine).

Yes like my last boat which I sold - doh!

19 minutes ago, Athy said:

until you find the marina forbids running the engine when moored 

No washing allowed out in ours either. Or solid fuel stoves, unnecessary engine running, working on your boat, permit parking only.

It may sound like a lot of rules, and that is only a few of them, but it does benefit everyone in the end.

Should also point out that our marina is surrounded by very expensive housing and they also can't put out washing or have garden sheds!

1 minute ago, Athy said:

There's always one....:D

there's at least one, we nearly moored in it, decided against it when we worked out that the distance needed to clear our pontoon and neighbouring boat (before we could start turning) was 6 inches shorter than our boats length (which meant removing bow & stern fenders every time we wanted to get in or out)