Eco Fan

mrsmelly

Featured Posts

6 minutes ago, mross said:

This is what I was interested in.  Please can you give us some details?

It all depends on whether I can secure the giant rubber duck or the Nondescript cheap metal thing with the lion smoking a pipe,a flaming tail, a head like Oliver Cromwell and extremely short back leg from the

'Auntie Wainwright's 12 Days of Christmas'thread currently running. I will have to change my overall plan if I end up with the curry sauce instead.

edit - to acknowledge Tree monkey keeping up well ....this time.

Edited by Dr Bob

6 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

It all depends on whether I can secure the giant rubber duck or the Nondescript cheap metal thing with the lion smoking a pipe,a flaming tail, a head like Oliver Cromwell and extremely short back leg from the

'Auntie Wainwright's 12 Days of Christmas'thread currently running. I will have to change my overall plan if I end up with the curry sauce instead.

edit - to acknowledge Tree monkey keeping up well ....this time.

This time!

4 hours ago, Jim Riley said:

No doubting engineer has answered my evidence, they've ignored the because it doesn't suit their world view. 

With ecofan on stove kettle won't boil, without ecofan it will. So the fan is taking heat from the stove that would otherwise go up the chimney or heat the kettle. Who has robbed the joules otherwise, where have they gone??Also a static thermometer wouldn't demonstrate that there is a more even distribution of heat around a room, test the effect in the cold spots. 

I’ve answered that at least twice. I note that you ignored it each time. Something to hide?

The Ecofan removes the heat from the base and dissipates it via convection from the cooling fins.

That’s three times now. 

4 hours ago, mross said:

A small Xpelair bathroom exhaust fan, rated at 750 Watts has a flow of 0.02 cubic metres per second.  This is 42 CFM.  Do you wonder why I am cynical when Ecofan claim their 1 Watt fan can move 175 CFM?

https://www.xpelair.co.uk/assets/xpelair/brochures/Xpelair-Ventilation-Guide.pdf

http://www.ecofan.co.uk/woodstove-ecofans.html

In the case of the ecofan,  I think the "M" in CTM stands for "millenium" :giggles:

3 hours ago, tree monkey said:

I think a plastic duck and a one legged,  long tailed brass lion will be involved 

Yes, but where does the pipe and flaming tail come into it?

I can foresee another Bruncefield type blast occurring.  :P

• Greenie 2

On 08/12/2017 at 13:30, Jim Riley said:

I know all about the infidels, but thats no reason not to poke them with the stick of truth. Hopefully you will get a bigger stick, if not a battering ram. Even then, I suspect some are too far gone to admit even the tiniest of benefits.

So true. Mr Oss seems to find my posts on the subject invisible. 

Sorely tempted to start a thread calling him to READ MY POSTS !

On 08/12/2017 at 17:00, WotEver said:

The Ecofan removes the heat from the base and dissipates it via convection from the cooling fins.

Wrong. It's conduction. 

14 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Wrong. It's conduction.

Well yes, into the adjacent air, and thence moves away through convection. Just like the heat from the top plate does without the fan (or kettle, or flat iron) in place. 

20 hours ago, mross said:

14 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:
Air movement can be demonstrated though using a smoke pen or the smoke trail from an incense stick. 

Have you tried this with fan off?  The air movement may actually be caused by convection.  You seem to agree that the temperature doesn't change!

Mike, I responded to your post!  I asked you a question, but you never responded.  Have you put me on an ignore list?

I pm'd MtB with an apology, I would never knowingly ignore him!

10 hours ago, tree monkey said:

I'm telling you. Who's on first, What's on second, I Don't Know is on third

This could run on and on, anyway off to bed :)

Did anyone make it to forth in that sketch? Anyone got a video of it? I can't remember who did it. 

12 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

So true. Mr Oss seems to find my posts on the subject invisible. 

Sorely tempted to start a thread calling him to READ MY POSTS !

Wrong. It's conduction. 

Ooh, mr picky pedant. I put it simply for the hard of learning. I know the heat travels up the mass of the fan by conduction, it then leaves the fan body by radiation and conduction into the air. But we do put the fan on to the stove to remove heat from it that would otherwise be pushed up the chimney by the surrounding air pressure of roughly one atmosphere. This theory is demonstrated in this thread, I'm low down and grounded, being Cool, while others are way above me, being full of hot air.

Did you post something earlier, I must have missed it. Try shouting in bold capital letters. ;-)

Edited by Jim Riley

5 minutes ago, Jim Riley said:

Ooh, mr picky pedant. I put it simply for the hard of learning. I know the heat travels up the mass of the fan by conduction, it then leaves the fan body by radiation and conduction into the air. But we do put the fan on to the stove to remove heat from it that would otherwise be pushed up the chimney by the surrounding air pressure of roughly one atmosphere. This theory is demonstrated in this thread, I'm low down and grounded, being Cool, while others are way above me, being full of hot air.

Did you post something earlier, I must have missed it. Try shouting in bold capital letters. ;-)

Jim, Mike the Boilerman was addressing me MROSS, not you.  :):) (why do I think you already know this?)

21 hours ago, Jim Riley said:

No doubting engineer has answered my evidence, they've ignored the because it doesn't suit their world view. 

With ecofan on stove kettle won't boil, without ecofan it will. So the fan is taking heat from the stove that would otherwise go up the chimney or heat the kettle. Who has robbed the joules otherwise, where have they gone??Also a static thermometer wouldn't demonstrate that there is a more even distribution of heat around a room, test the effect in the cold spots. 

Joule Thiefs tend to remain Anonymous , If they reveal their Identity the Rozzers lock 'em up!

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, WotEver said:

I’ve answered that at least twice. I note that you ignored it each time. Something to hide?

That’s three times now. 

Yes, but repeating something doesn't make it right. Heat travels up the mass of the fan by conduction, some of it radiates away, some of it conducts into the air, this is of course assisted by the fan causing a greater air flow over the fins.