Eco Fan

mrsmelly

Featured Posts

22 minutes ago, mross said:

Jim, you seem to think I have changed my position, I haven't.  The fan spins, it moves a little air.  What I have said and repeat is that what it does is insignificant.  It's like those desk fans or coffee heaters that can be powered from a USB plug (except that a USB plug can belt out 2.5 Watts :D )

2.5 Watts is older USB 1.0 or 2.0 specs, USB 3.0 is capable of 4.5 Watts.

6 minutes ago, mross said:

Shock! Horror!

No, it is not an Ecofan. It is a

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01N6ZLFP0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Maybe Ecofans are rubbish then? unlike mine.

Read the reviews, one where it didnt work. I assume the guy didnt light the fire and one in German I think says it is the best thing he has ever bought for his narrowboat, drives air all around the cabins and saves him at least 50% on his fuel bills. He suggests everyone should buy one.

Edit - to add "I think"

Edited by Dr Bob

1 hour ago, Jim Riley said:

The air above the stove is moving faster than by convection. It's moving horizontally. Away from the stove. Taking the heat with it. So cool  air is constantly being drawn in  to replace it. That is then warmed and blown away. Constantly but slowly. Cooling the stove. So the kettle doesn't boil.

By your reckoning the effect of a static fan on the kettle would be the same as the moving fan. This is not the case. Kettle boils.

Btw an insignificant force, applied continuously, can move mountains. A little drip in same place, wears a big hole. 

At least you now agree there is some effect, that there is a force.

Did someone call?

1 minute ago, mross said:

I see this

image.jpeg.aed49d894cccce401b184eaefbda00ec.jpeg

I see this

Top customer reviews

ByIanPon 30 October 2017
Verified Purchase
Tried this a few times and nothing, I may have got a faulty one but I wasn’t going to get another.
Comment|Was this review helpful to you?
Yes
No
Report abuse

Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.de

Amazon.de: 5.0 out of 5 stars 1 reviews
5.0 out of 5 starsSehr guter Ofenventilator
ByJ.S.on 8 September 2017 - Published on Amazon.de
Verified Purchase
Habe den Heizofenventilator vor kurzem in Betrieb genommen.
War beim Kauf etwas skeptisch, aber der Ventilator funktioniert wirklich sehr gut.
Er fängt schon bei relativ niedrigen Temperaturen an zu drehen. Wenn der Heizofen dann richtig heiß
wird, ist ein merklicher Luftstrom zu spüren. Über die Haltbarkeit kann ich noch nichts sagen, hoffe aber mal das beste.
Wenn es so bleibt, dann macht er sich auf jeden Fall bezahlt.

35 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Caframo, the makers of Ecofan say their 800 model, used in the Universtity tests, move circa 150 cubic feet per minute. With the diameter, you can then calculate the velocity coming off the blades.

I had a rough-and-ready go at this pages ago, The face velocity at the fan was so large it was ridiculous. Certainly not based on fact.

3 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

War beim Kauf etwas skeptisch, aber der Ventilator funktioniert wirklich sehr gut.

I was extremely sceptical, but the fan is working extremely well with a velocity well exceeding my expectations.

That's not what it really says. Using google translator it says:

"I returned this rubbish,and with the refund bought the entire box set of Dad's army, and a framed print of the fallen Madonna with the big boobies signed by Vicki Michelle"

Edited by rusty69
  • Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

From Google translate

I have recently started up the stove fan.
Was a bit skeptical when buying, but the fan really works very well.
He starts spinning at relatively low temperatures. If the stove is really hot then
becomes, a noticeable air flow is felt.
About the durability, I can not say anything, but I hope the best.
If it stays that way, it definitely pays off.

My bold - so unless ze stove is very hot, he feels nothing!

37 minutes ago, mross said:

It is not that simple because air is a fluid and the fan does not produce a uniform block of moving air.  Some of the air travels outwards and back into the suction side.  You could calculate the theoretical maximum if you know the developed blade area, the angular pitch of the blades and the speed of rotation.  The actual flow might be only half of this.  Or you could use one of those portable anemometers that sailors have and measure the speed of air immediately in front of the fan and use the area of the circle that contains the fan blades.

Jim, please supply details of your planned experiment and I will critique it in a friendly and helpful way so that it satisfies the cynics.  Cheers!

I do not need to experiment, I'm happy. And you really backed up what I was thinking, there is a formula for such things, not just "I think" and "probably".

22 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Read the reviews, one where it didnt work. I assume the guy didnt light the fire and one in German I think says it is the best thing he has ever bought for his narrowboat, drives air all around the cabins and saves him at least 50% on his fuel bills. He suggests everyone should buy one.

I never did German at school - I'm really very poor at it:D

1 minute ago, mross said:

From Google translate

I have recently started up the stove fan.
Was a bit skeptical when buying, but the fan really works very well.
He starts spinning at relatively low temperatures. If the stove is really hot then
becomes, a noticeable air flow is felt.
About the durability, I can not say anything, but I hope the best.
If it stays that way, it definitely pays off.

My bold - so unless ze stove is very hot, he feels nothing!

But that's not what he said is it. He didn't say nothing happens when it's going slowly, that's your surmise.

1 minute ago, Jim Riley said:

But that's not what he said is it. He didn't say nothing happens when it's going slowly, that's your surmise.

Jim, He said when the stove is really hot the airflow becomes noticeable.  That means it was not noticeable before.  And your words above are not what I said.