Eco Fan

mrsmelly

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, mross said:

Pond water typically contains at least 8ppm of dissolved oxygen if it supports cold-water fish.  Consider one cubic meter of water.  This is 1,000 litres.  Therefore, it will contain 8 grammes of oxygen.  How much water is in a ten-foot stretch of canal?  If we estimate the width at 40 feet and the average depth at 2 feet we get 800 cubic feet or 22.6 cubic meters.  This could contain a minimum of 180 grammes of oxygen.

So my pint of milk will seriously deplete the oxygen in a ten-foot stretch.

But skimmed milk in my prop wash is probably not quite so harmful.

But I now know more about pollution than I did yesterday!

What a really informative post. I can really learn from this. Next time we have a litre of gone off milk (twice what Mross identified above so almost all the oxygen in a ten foot stretch), I will not pour it out of the side window into the cut. Must remember to flush it down the sink instead.....:huh:

Edited by Dr Bob
  • Greenie 3

4 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

What a really informative post. I can really learn from this. Next time we have a litre of gone off milk (twice what Mross identified above so almost all the oxygen in a ten foot stretch), I will not pour it out of the side window into the cut. Must remember to flush it down the sink instead.....:huh:

A friend helping me black the boat poped into the boat to make a brew,  lovely I thought but then decided to do the dishes, emptying the wash water down the sink and down my new blacking :)

• Love 1

1 hour ago, tree monkey said:

A friend helping me black the boat poped into the boat to make a brew,  lovely I thought but then decided to do the dishes, emptying the wash water down the sink and down my new blacking :)

Everything into a bucket including bailing the shower out, cleaning teeth etc.

4 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Everything into a bucket including bailing the shower out, cleaning teeth etc.

I know that, you know that but both you and I have boats, my mate was just helping his wierdo friend :)

Edited by tree monkey

On 30/11/2017 at 16:19, mross said:

A typical ceiling fan uses between 50 and 100 Watts.  An Ecofan is 1 to 2 Watts.  This is why Ecofans can't be much use!

Mine cost me £90 10 years ago, still whizzing away from 9am to 10pm ish, November to March, so maybe less than 10p a day and dropping, for the capital outlay. No running cost, gain in spreading heat round the house instead of it warming the clouds. No brainer really. It's pulling way more than 10p worth of calories off the stove over a day, and chucking them slowly across the room.

The gas and leccy boards keep coming to check or swap the meters, because our usage in winter is lower than summer. They think we are cheating.

Water for leccy kettle is pre warmed with a large kettle on stove, if it's not boiling. Provides water for washing up and for us washing at night. No gas heating. In summer we will put it on for a little while if we are chilled. (Which I am of course, especially about the effectiveness of ecofans!)

• Greenie 2

On 05/12/2017 at 15:43, Machpoint005 said:

The proverbial tree in a forest does indeed make a sound when it falls. How on earth could it not?

(You can tell I never studied philosophy, I daresay).

Ah, but is the moon there when no ones looking? :)

And is it made of cream cheese. 

Thanks lads. I'm curious that those who claim to be engineers can't see the obvious benefits. As for the aforementioned second greenie, yes, it's loaded, tongue rolled, ready to aim. I was good at spitting as a lad, one of the benefits of a bad chest, smoke from t'mills, tha'nows. 

Edited by Jim Riley

19 minutes ago, Jim Riley said:

I'm curious that those who claim to be engineers can't see the obvious benefits.

We engineers have tried these stove fans and looked for evidence of any benefit.  We did not find it.  There is a difference between obvious and evident!  I would light a fire and wait until the 'furnace' was well loaded with glowing coals, and burning slowly at a steady rate.  Then I put my fan on top of the stove and watched the thermometer in the galley, which was just behind the saloon.  The temperature didn't shift.  People who have paid goodly sms for their fans are often unwilling to admit that they have been 'had' and see benefits where none exist.  It's just like a man and his new car!

With my fan on top of the stove the thermometer in the galley rises and the temperature from the remote sensor sat by the stern doors also rises. The fire and the fan are by the bow doors. This may just be coincidence but there was a rise in all the thermometers.

11 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

With my fan on top of the stove the thermometer in the galley rises and the temperature from the remote sensor sat by the stern doors also rises. The fire and the fan are by the bow doors. This may just be coincidence but there was a rise in all the thermometers.

But that could be solely due to convection!  You have to achieve steady temps throughout the boat without the fan and then run it.

'The blades are spinning, it must be doing some good' is a constant refrain from the faithful.

Edited by mross

37 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

But Dr Bob did, and he's a doctor, with warm feet,not a muppet like some suggest. 

Yes, the evidence is out there for all you blind people or people who keep ther boat at 27 C. We have the paper from a non descript Canadian University, a smelly test by BSP on a dodgy Aldi fan and my super toasty feet plus anecdotal evidence from a number of sensible chaps and chapesses. 

With my excellent technical ability, see video above, I intend to do the definitive test on my Ecofan using items sourced from Auntie Wainrights auction providing I don't get outbid- see other thread running now. I have to watch out how much I can bid due to a short term cash flow issue, but I notice my coal bill has gone down 15% since buying the fan so I should have more disposable funds to increase the bids. The definitive test is coming.

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1