Eco Fan

mrsmelly

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, mrsmelly said:

Funnily enough experiments by the military especialy in the USA have been ongoing for many years re this matter. The military needed larger helicopters to move large equipment and many personel and no internal combustion type engines in build were powerful enough for the job. The problem was solved by the top brains from NASA and the Chinook helicopter was born. Powered by no one but two eco fans with a large propeller at each end of the aircraft. Sat at each end under the eco fan is a crew member with a lighted candle producing the required heat source. Early problems were caused by using candles too large for the job and small household candles were eventualy found best for the job otherwise the helicopters used to climb too high and orbit the earth.

Interesting, late father in law, was on the design team that put 3 engines into the Merlin helicopter.

Bod

4 minutes ago, Bod said:

Interesting, late father in law, was on the design team that put 3 engines into the Merlin helicopter.

Bod

Its a small world innit. Did they harness the eco fan motor power or did they need three engines rather than two as they used less powerful internal combustion engines?

7 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Funnily enough experiments by the military especialy in the USA have been ongoing for many years re this matter. The military needed larger helicopters to move large equipment and many personel and no internal combustion type engines in build were powerful enough for the job. The problem was solved by the top brains from NASA and the Chinook helicopter was born. Powered by not one but two eco fans with a large propeller at each end of the aircraft. Sat at each end under the eco fan is a crew member with a lighted candle producing the required heat source. Early problems were caused by using candles too large for the job and small household candles were eventualy found best for the job otherwise the helicopters used to climb too high and orbit the earth.

Would be likely that the Sliding Doors could be partly opened  or closed to adjust Altitude?

11 minutes ago, cereal tiller said:

Would be likely that the Sliding Doors could be partly opened  or closed to adjust Altitude?

This was considered but I think discounted due to the chance of " Blow out " occurring of one or both candles with obviously dire consequences although on early prototype aircraft Honda eu20i gennies were  kept onboard to supplement the solar panel back up engines.

5 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

This was considered but I think discounted due to the chance of " Blow out " occurring of one or both candles with obviously dire consequences although on early prototype aircraft Honda eu20i gennies were  kept onboard to supplement the solar panel back up engines.

On tickover I assume

• Happy 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Have heard of Fighter Jets having problems when a "Flame out" occurred ,amazing that I never knew about Choppers  having similar issues.

They would have Refuelled the eu20i's in the Winch Cradle thingy I hope, you know ,for Safety reasons?

8 minutes ago, cereal tiller said:

Have heard of Fighter Jets having problems when a "Flame out" occurred ,amazing that I never knew about Choppers  having similar issues.

They would have Refuelled the eu20i's in the Winch Cradle thingy I hope, you know ,for Safety reasons?

Due to " secrecy laws " data is not available.

14 hours ago, mross said:

Has anyone got a wind speed meter (anemometer) - they could measure the wind speed directly in front and use that to calculate the volumetric flow.  The CFM figures are probably taken that way.  Take them ten feet away and you'll get almost zero.

10 feet away I would be sitting in the cratch outside the front door.

13 hours ago, system 4-50 said:

There definitely are strata in air. Why only the other day I found a small dinosaur bone floating near the floor.

"While the physics are relatively complex, air stratification is a basic layering effect that allows large air pockets with different core temperatures to remain intact, regardless of whether the building's central HVAC system is running"

If you had the Stirling Engine going the bone may have been rotating so fast you would not have noticed it.  ;)

Still no credible answer from the wider crew why 3m3/min of air circulating does not help even out temps in front of stove. But lots of avoidance and random opinions.

Edited by mark99

I researched these units (Sterling) before I bought one and one of the sources of real world use I used was this site and came to the initial conclusion after hearing the collective dismissal in here that they do not work.

But I bought one because I fancied it as an ornament (open crankshaft etc) with the side benefit of an indicator of when the fuel needs topping up. In use however I find on my boat it mixes the temp in front of stove so the bonus is "it works" in my small saloon. Hence I came from a position of non believer to one who accepts there is a small scale benefit in some cases.

Edited by mark99

Thank you.

It's an Acorn radiant stove that sits in a corner in middle of boat. Poss 4.5kW.

The vid below does show some air moverment off a fan.

My scientic instrument is Mrs 99's elbow. There is non such a more temperature sensitive person in the world. With the fan on my ribs are less bruised. She was the one who started noticing her feet were always warm when fan on. ;)

2 minutes ago, mross said:

Mark, I disagree but I respect your opinion.  

:offtopic: Just noticed your new avatar. When did you turn into a blue faced Mr Angry? I didn't have you down as one of those, and it doesn't really go with the 'respect' sentiment above. Just sayin'... :)

8 minutes ago, mark99 said:

Thank you.

It's an Acorn radiant stove that sits in a corner in middle of boat. Poss 4.5kW.

The vid below does show some air moverment off a fan.

My scientic instrument is Mrs 99's elbow. There is non such a more temperature sensitive person in the world. With the fan on my ribs are less bruised. She was the one who started noticing her feet were always warm when fan on. ;)

But, as I pointed out when I posted this same video, it's all in close up.  You can't see what happens further away from the fan.  Presumably because it does not show what they would like it to!

13 hours ago, mrsmelly said:I think you are right Marc in that we dont understand the power of a fan that is actually needed to improve thermal comfort.

13 hours ago, mross said:

This sounds like the argument creationists use.

Mrsmelly, I think I misinterpreted this!  I thought I was quoting Mark99.  My apologies.

22 minutes ago, mross said:

13 hours ago, mrsmelly said:I think you are right Marc in that we dont understand the power of a fan that is actually needed to improve thermal comfort.

Mrsmelly, I think I misinterpreted this!  I thought I was quoting Mark99.  My apologies.

Nope, it was me who made that quote.

Too big a fan causes a draught that will feel cold. No fan and your feet get cold. A gentle fan to disrupt the air is needed but how powerful is that?

edit   Mross is it your radiant stove?

Edited by Dr Bob

1 hour ago, mross said:

But, as I pointed out when I posted this same video, it's all in close up.  You can't see what happens further away from the fan.  Presumably because it does not show what they would like it to!

Would guess that if the Camera pulled back a Yard or two it would have shown a few Ecofan Sales personnel who were a Teensy bit Stoned?

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Nope, it was me who made that quote.

Too big a fan causes a draught that will feel cold. No fan and your feet get cold. A gentle fan to disrupt the air is needed but how powerful is that?

edit   Mross is it your radiant stove?

This is getting very silly. A gentle draught makes you feel warmer, but a stronger draught makes you feel colder? Is the air at the same temperature in both cases? There's a lot of placebo getting mixed in somewhere.

9 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

This is getting very silly. A gentle draught makes you feel warmer, but a stronger draught makes you feel colder? Is the air at the same temperature in both cases? There's a lot of placebo getting mixed in somewhere.

Machpoint, you have got it wrong again. Of course it feels colder the higher the air flow at constant temperature. Do you ever watch the TV weather forecasts? The higher airflow takes heat  away from the body (when less than 38dec ish) so you feel colder. It's called 'wind chill'. At no flow there is stratification so the floor is much colder than at 3-6 ft off the ground. A slight air movement to disrupt the stratification will make the temperature more uniform hence my comment of warmer. More than 'slight'movement and they you have the cooling draught. Simple, isnt it?

23 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

................And holding a big electric fan

.......Ah, damn, that's how I was going to do my video later in the week!

Edited by Dr Bob