Eco Fan

mrsmelly

Featured Posts

3 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

The writers say the rise in temp with the fan on is "around half to one degree Celcius...

3 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

If you are both saying that one or two degrees is insignificant...

Ah, the believer has already doubled the effect... ;)

8 minutes ago, mross said:

Has anyone got a wind speed meter (anemometer) - they could measure the wind speed directly in front and use that to calculate the volumetric flow.  The CFM figures are probably taken that way.  Take them ten feet away and you'll get almost zero.

So there is flow ten feet away...progress.

I got the 9m3 per min from the manuf. blurb. 

Lets say it's only 3m3. Thats quite a lot of air shift in a small space.

Like I said it wont throw the heat down the length of boat but it will help in front of fire for a short way.

There are Ecofan videos on Youtube.  People hold a tissue in front at about six inches distance and the tissue moves.  At three feet there is zero movement.  So the figure of x cubic feet a minute is only a measure of the gross flow through the fan blades.  These fans are all billed as 'silent'; oddly, desktop fans and computer fans are never billed as silent. Hmmm, I wonder why?

Buy it is a delight to debate Dr Bob and I enjoy the to and fro.

About 3.15 rough demo on air moving on eco against the stirling. I use the vulcan stirling.

I agree its not a gamechanger but it the vulcan stirling helps reduce stratification in front of stove imo.

Edited by mark99

15 minutes ago, mross said:

Air does not stratify!  Unless you are thinking of temperature inversions?  Air mixes and forms temperature GRADIENTS.  Yeesh!

Well there seem to be plenty of engineering references out there to the term air stratification with respect to temperature.

EG random HVAC handbook:

"Stratification is normally thought of in terms of vertical temperature gradients"

Edited by mark99

23 minutes ago, mark99 said:

About 3.15 rough demo on air moving on eco against the stirling. I use the vulcan stirling.

I agree its not a gamechanger but it the vulcan stirling helps reduce stratification in front of stove imo.

Can the people continually stating the fans are completely useless explain in simple language why the air shown moving in the video above <the Vulcan example> does not help whatsoever in gaining a more more even temperature to aid comfort?

I'm all ears.

They have an effect. The only thing in debate can be the magnitude.

Just because a low powered fan can move SOME air does not prove that it has any useful effect on the grand scale.  The difference between technologists and lay people is that we require evidence, and not anecdote.

I have a Stirling Vulcan and assert that it is useless for spreading heat around the boat.  Actually, a proper mains-powered fan was not able to spread more heat than the convection from the unassisted stove.  

To the layman, it is 'obvious' that the ecofan must work because it moves 'some' air and therefore it 'must' be beneficial.  But, as a rational engineer, I demand empirical, unbiased evidence and there is none.

I have no doubt that the ecofan has some effect, but so does the beat of a butterfly's wings two-thousand miles away - you can't prove it doesn't!

• Greenie 4