Leave space for anglers!

rgreg

Featured Posts

4 minutes ago, BWM said:

If it's unique to an area that is popular with anglers and boaters, it sounds like a reasonable compromise. I wonder if a match is due to take place? 

Even if so, five miles seems a bit excessive.

No doubt the Mooring Like A T*** Face Book members will be along with their Brownies to record the results.

I don't know that stretch of canal, but if it's not an over-populated one, it would seem more sensible to rope off a whole stretch of a hundred yards or so for the fishermen's exclusive use during their match.

4 minutes ago, BWM said:

If it's unique to an area that is popular with anglers and boaters, it sounds like a reasonable compromise. I wonder if a match is due to take place? 

It's not reasonable here as it is a tight designated visitor mooring. There's no indication of a match and it's far too small a stretch for that anyway. I'll report back when I get  reply from CRT.

2 minutes ago, rgreg said:

It's not reasonable here as it is a tight designated visitor mooring. There's no indication of a match and it's far too small a stretch for that anyway. I'll report back when I get  reply from CRT.

Fair enough, i'm not familiar with the location but theoretically with ample space it would be a solution. Doesn't sound like this is the case here. 

6 minutes ago, Athy said:

Even if so, five miles seems a bit excessive.

No doubt the Mooring Like A T*** Face Book members will be along with their Brownies to record the results.

I don't know that stretch of canal, but if it's not an over-populated one, it would seem more sensible to rope off a whole stretch of a hundred yards or so for the fishermen's exclusive use during their match.

Was assuming they were using new money and the M represented metres! 

• Greenie 1

Seems a bit off if it's a designate ted mooring with whatever the mooring length is being reduced so =less boats are able to moor if boats can moor up nose to tail the anglers can set up at the moorings end Anglers don't require 2ft or more at cut edge to fish but boats require that depth to not have the stem/stern stuck out in the cut & requiring a gang plank, it seems that C&rt are committed to organizing better facilities for all canal users other than boaters There are miles of cut that an angler canset up & persue his sport/pastime but a a boat requires a certain depth of water  if it's not a designated mooring then so be it

After my recent experience I think it might be better if there was No fishing allowed at all on visitor moorings.

However, this 5m thing is, I believe, a standard request on winter moorings, and if boats are going to occupy a visitor mooring for three or four solid months then it is reasonable. I do wonder if CaRT allow for this space when they sell off the visitor moorings as winter moorings. A concern that I have is that winter moorings already consume a lot of VM space which makes it difficult for "continuing continuous cruisers" to find a place to stop, and so leaving 5m gaps for the entire winter is not good.

Additionally, most boats are 57 foot so those of us with 70 footers do find it harder to fit in to vacated spaces. 5m gaps does make it a lot easier but does then result in me breaking the guidelines.

...............Dave

• Happy 1

5 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I've seen a similar sign myself, and nowhere near Twitfield (wherever that is!).

So I think it's genuine.

Tis where the Lancaster was terminated by the A6070/M6.

2 minutes ago, MJG said:

Tis where the Lancaster was terminated by the A6070/M6.

Fishermen are a pain in the Ar?e as far as boating are concerned, but compared to the M6 problem it all pales into insignificance.

..............Dave

22 minutes ago, haggis said:

Tewitfield is at the top of the navigable section of the lancaster canal

haggis

Can't someone just move the sign to the other side of the M6?

That should keep the anglers happy without upsetting the boaters. :)

Personally I prefer this one, (taken at Torksey Lock on the Trent.)

I think the one in the OP is original, the left justified correct font and size has been used along with the logo and the charity number being correct.

zyu1Ex9h.jpg

Edited by MJG