Stove Glass Replacement

pearley

Featured Posts

We have a Boatman stove, now 10 years old, and I replace the glass every year. The glass is bedded on fire cement and held by 4 clips and screws. Last time 2 of the clips were not reusable so I used large flat washers instead. 

The current glass is 3 months old and has cracked, but not from where the washers or clips contact the glass. So I went to Midland Chandlers and bought a new glass and was persuaded to buy some silicone tape to use rather than fire cement. But how do you use it. It is just a flat tape about 10 mm thick. I could understand if it was self adhesive but trying to bed a piece of glass into the aperture whilst holding the tape in place looks neatly impossible unless I glue the tape in place, besides which it looks to thin for the depth of the rebate that the glass goes into. 

Some U Tube videos show tape but self adhesive, most show rope as a glass seal. What do other Boatman users do? 

used tape from MC last time I replaced the glass on my Morso. I don't remember it being anything like 10mm thick, more like 4mm. I was able to remove the door and lay it flat. Would not rope adhesive work (the stuff that costs an arm and a leg for a tiny bottle that I suspect is PVA adhesive) My glass (together with seal) sits wholly within it's rebate but as I said its a Morso.

Ensure that the channel where the seal fits in the door is scrupulousely clean, scrape it and wire brush it. The tinyest bit of grit or any old bits of old seal left in there can-will crack the glass when the retainers are tightened. Just tighten them equally, so, so, not too tight.

That should have read 10 mm wide, it's about 2 mm thick, the rebate is about 5 mm. 

43 minutes ago, bizzard said:

Ensure that the channel where the seal fits in the door is scrupulousely clean, scrape it and wire brush it. The tinyest bit of grit or any old bits of old seal left in there can-will crack the glass when the retainers are tightened. Just tighten them equally, so, so, not too tight.

I try to be scrupulous about cleaning, scraping out all the old cement then wire brushing. I change it every year, not because it's cracked but my wife likes a nice clean glass! 

1 hour ago, pearley said:

That should have read 10 mm wide, it's about 2 mm thick, the rebate is about 5 mm. 

I try to be scrupulous about cleaning, scraping out all the old cement then wire brushing. I change it every year, not because it's cracked but my wife likes a nice clean glass! 

On the subject of clean glass, our stove manufacturer (charnwood) sent us one of these when we registered the guarantee.  We have found them to be brilliant for keeping the glass clean, and cheaper on eBay too.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Atmosfire-Wipe-Stove-Glass-Cleaner/dp/B00AESG5L6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1510850367&sr=8-1&keywords=atmosfire

Edited by MJG

17 hours ago, BEngo said:

I clean mine with damp newspaper.  Does not need to be done daily but only when the fire is too hard to see.

N

I too find this is one of the best but I dip the paper in the ash pan certainly the cheapest fire door glass cleaners use on my 3 house woodburners

On 16/11/2017 at 16:43, MJG said:

On the subject of clean glass, our stove manufacturer (charnwood) sent us one of these when we registered the guarantee.  We have found them to be brilliant for keeping the glass clean, and cheaper on eBay too.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Atmosfire-Wipe-Stove-Glass-Cleaner/dp/B00AESG5L6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1510850367&sr=8-1&keywords=atmosfire

I've just bought one (via Ebay) as the reviews seemed good. Tried it on the glass in the woodburner at home, which hasn't been cleaned for a long while, and it worked beautifully. I'll be getting one for the boat too. Easier and cleaner than rubbing with wood ash on a damp cloth, and seems more effective (if a bit more expensive). Paid about £6 for it, so if it only lasts a winter I won't be too upset.

Martin/

1 minute ago, Onewheeler said:

I've just bought one (via Ebay) as the reviews seemed good. Tried it on the glass in the woodburner at home, which hasn't been cleaned for a long while, and it worked beautifully. I'll be getting one for the boat too. Easier and cleaner than rubbing with wood ash on a damp cloth, and seems more effective (if a bit more expensive). Paid about £6 for it, so if it only lasts a winter I won't be too upset.

Martin/

I dont think one would last a whole winter TBH, but I do find they last longer (several weeks) if you don't rub it across the metal glass fixing brackets which tends to damage the surface. Just keeping to the smooth glass and being careful around the fixings avoids the damage in my experience.