Fuel Costs

babylek

Featured Posts

36 minutes ago, babylek said:

How much is diesel for canal boats? and how much fuel would I use a day with a twin 65hp boat?

Fuel used for propulsion costs pretty much whatever the pump price in your locality is (as you are supposed to declare in advance the split between domestic and propulsion use when purchasing diesel) which if you are in the South East may be more expensive than 'up North'

How long is your day?

I'm not an authority on these matters but by reading lots of posts here it would seem that most engines use between 1 & 2 litres per hour (or at the speed I prefer to travel when cruising slightly less than a litre per hour) but I don't know if that would mean 2-4 l/hr with twin engines.

I'm sure others with far greater knowledge than me will be along soon to assist.

Enjoy your cruising, sounds like a nice boat :)

26 minutes ago, babylek said:

Slight mistake 55hp.  Dutch Steel Cruiser| 11.80m | 1978 | 2x diesel 55hp | Steel Construction | Full-Displacement underwater profile | 4 sleeping berths 

Before parting with any money I would just check the drafts & the available drafts on your chosen canal.

These are not really 'canal boats' (but are usable on the 'commercial canals 'up-norf').

4 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Fuel costs are one of the cheapest parts of boating. Don t worry about it.

When we sailed down to Wells we met up with aCruiser who had done the same trip (Hull to Wells)

It took us 13 hours and used £24 of fuel.

It took him 3 hours and he used £190 of fuel.

As you well know - 'flying along in a plastic pig' is not cheap.

Our Corniche used to do 4 litres per mile at 25 knots.

23 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

When we sailed down to Wells we met up with aCruiser who had done the same trip (Hull to Wells)

It took us 13 hours and used £24 of fuel.

It took him 3 hours and he used £190 of fuel.

As you well know - 'flying along in a plastic pig' is not cheap.

Our Corniche used to do 4 litres per mile at 25 knots.

So far this year we have used 678 litres of fuel at a cost of £536.70.

Not really worth worrying about in the grand scheme of things. We spend more each month on going out!

1 hour ago, babylek said:

How much is diesel for canal boats? and how much fuel would I use a day with a twin 65hp boat?

Between 85p and 95p per litre.

About 5 litres per hour at 5 knots which by the way is probably in excess of the speed limit on a canal . 

36 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Before parting with any money I would just check the drafts & the available drafts on your chosen canal.

These are not really 'canal boats' (but are usable on the 'commercial canals 'up-norf').

That is a very valid point.

We know several people with Dutch steel cruisers and they all have a draft of around 4ft. Fine on the rivers, less then ideal on the canals!

2 hours ago, babylek said:

Thanks, I am also wondering (Not Worrying) about the cost per ltr on the French canals. The Draft of the metal craft is 0.80.

0.8m is just under 2' 8", which would mean your draft is nicely within the usual range for UK canal boats. There are boats drawing 3 feet or more, particularly the old working boats, which manage to get around, although those do tend to run aground more often.

1 hour ago, babylek said:

"ALSO wondering" brings another question into the forum. What's your problem?

If you want accurate answers it is a good idea to ask an accurate question; you didn't. That is shown since most of the first answers gave you information about British canals and only later did you specify you wanted answers for the French system.

1 hour ago, matty40s said:

Why, just to please your angst??

If you don't like my response then take it up with the Mods.

39 minutes ago, MartynG said:

I expect Diesel is more expensive in France  compared to UK . In France you have to use white road diesel.

Which is slightly cheaper than UK diesel prices at fuel stations though I don't know about canal side prices.

1 hour ago, NB Lola said:

Tesco.  £1.20

Thanks, everyone. Except the Troll Graham Davis.

20 hours ago, Graham Davis said:

Perhaps you should have specified that at the beginning!

"ALSO wondering" brings another question into the forum. What's your problem?